96 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Mustang GT

So the credit union at work, has a 96 Mustang GT Convertible they reposessed. They say it runs but it won't move. The auction ends today, I was just wondering what this thing is worth the way it sits, it has 150,000 miles and needs a new top.

Thanks.

4.6 ..cracked intake or head gaskets

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      4.6 ..cracked intake or head gaskets
      If it starts why wouldnt it move???

Comment

Grenaded trans, needs top...did the interior suffer as a result? Off my head, I'd say 900-1100, depending on condition
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

1500 for a top, the 4.6 was pathetic in 96, I'd say 500 tops. No, I'm not kidding. I don't even think that is lowballing if it won't move.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

no more that a grand..
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              1500 for a top, the 4.6 was pathetic in 96, I'd say 500 tops. No, I'm not kidding. I don't even think that is lowballing if it won't move.
              my friend bought a moving one for that much with a junk top and 5 speed

i would say $500 and i would use it as a parts car for the merc lol
              Last edited by Mater; July 13, 2011, 12:21 PM.
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

A good friend of mine just got a '94 convertible with 140k and an automatic that won't shift into OD for $1200. He drove it home, about a 40 mile trip. It also needs a new top.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                  A good friend of mine just got a '94 convertible with 140k and an automatic that won't shift into OD for $1200. He drove it home, about a 40 mile trip. It also needs a new top.
                  I might go 1200 for 94 GT - 302's are cheap to hotrod compared to the 4.6. I'd actually pay more for a 94-95 than the 96-98.

Comment

First gen 4.6 2v heads were a study in how NOT to make an efficient flowpath - I have no idea what brain dead designers engineers and managers allowed that design to ever see the light of day let alone a dyno or production. Thankfully they're all gone now and with the latest revision of the modular engines - they're half way decent. If I ever meet the guy that convinced the folks in charge to dump the pushrods I will beat him into a bloody pulp. Meanwhile the LS GM engines just keep getting better all the time, while undoubtedly being simpler and less expensive than the Ford modular which in fact is not modular at all.

To answer your question - anything with four digits is too much. Especially if the interior has suffered. Sn95 drop tops are HEAVY and 4.6 2v aren't exactly known for low end grunt - if you intent to keep it - gearing up to a 3.73 would be first on my list.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

my '98 came with 3.27's - how did the bidding go?

Comment

I took it to 625, not sure how much it went for. It had a 4.6 but the interior was pretty good. I just thought I could buy it fix the tranny and flip it, oh well like I need another project....

Comment

backing out at 625 was the right thing to do. Kinda bumming for you but not so much really. You wouldn't make much on it after a top and transmission and maybe some structural issues since the tops dump the water on the floor from the tray.

Comment

Working...
                          X