road trip...what to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road trip...what to drive?

Road trip to the San Diego area for a few days, leaving in the morning. We were gonna take Steves 87 suburban, worked on the AC today, he bought new tires, put a new stereo in it. Rear speakers are dead, stores in town don't have 4x10s. We took the 55 into town to look for speakers, and decided it might be fun to take it instead. Steve said is has a ticking noise under the hood, I can't really hear it. Might be a rocker loose, header leak, who knows. Maybe we'll get a piece of hose and see if we can find it.

We're also taking Gary, he says he'd like to ride in a car with some style. Should be a fun trip. We're bringing one of the underwater ROVs with us, if we can fit it all in the trunk.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

The ticking was in the pass side valve cover, pulled it off (after pulling the battery and tray) and found a loose rocker....cleaned the nut off, added some loctite, and putting it all back together.

I guess we'll have an adventure.
    My fabulous web page

Comment

Good luck!
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Take the camper. When going to San Diego, you should look like a hick from the sticks. Plus, you have some parking challenges. You know you shouldn't make vacations too relaxing.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The idea of an underwater robot being delivered in a blown, dual quad, big block, '55 really makes me smile.

Have fun with the dudes!
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Road trip to the San Diego area for a few days, leaving in the morning. We were gonna take Steves 87 suburban, worked on the AC today, he bought new tires, put a new stereo in it. Rear speakers are dead, stores in town don't have 4x10s. We took the 55 into town to look for speakers, and decided it might be fun to take it instead. Steve said is has a ticking noise under the hood, I can't really hear it. Might be a rocker loose, header leak, who knows. Maybe we'll get a piece of hose and see if we can find it.

We're also taking Gary, he says he'd like to ride in a car with some style. Should be a fun trip. We're bringing one of the underwater ROVs with us, if we can fit it all in the trunk.
            PM us if you get bored! We have some cars with style...
            ~gail
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

have fun...and if you have any problems I am on leave till Monday so I can be a rescue vehicle is need be...but I doubt it....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

How did I miss this thread? Have fun Jim, and I have to agree with Brian
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We made it here just fine, 55 didn't miss a beat. It was a bit warm in the yuma-el Centro area, but cooled off nice when we hit 4000 ft and hheaded down the mountain.

The Phoenix high school team was able to qualify for the semi-finals, about half the teams made it. They are competing mostly against college teams, such as Cornell, USC, etc including some international teams from places like Iceland and China. neat stuff!

There seem be be several old motorhomes camped out right by our hotel. Strange.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                    The idea of an underwater robot being delivered in a blown, dual quad, big block, '55 really makes me smile.

Have fun with the dudes!
                    Ridin' in Style Fo Sure !
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

flakey internet here, but I'll try to get some pics. here's one for starts, view out the hotel balcony...
                      Attached Files
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

We're going to the beach for a cookout with the Phoenix robotics team tonight. We'll try to get our ROV Babs into the Pacific ocean! should be fun
                        Attached Files
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

We made it home No car problems. It was kinda warm going thru the desert, around 110 out, the steering wheel was almost too hot to hold on to.

Robot stuff was interesting, the team from Phoenix got the Mayor's Cup, everyone there was impressed with the them.

Our little ROV got to swim in the Pacific, just a little....I have a crappy video of it, hopefully my son Steven will edit a better one?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                          X