What Was Your Favorite Vacation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was Your Favorite Vacation?

Sue Unit and Spankie and Freckee the Cat and I all pile up in the turd box Plymouth Voyager minivan named Whitey that didn't last, but that day it got up onto the Blue Ridge to a mountain cabin near Aheville, NC, smelling like blown head gasket the whole way up. It didn't help that I'd brought a lot of band equipment with me. Whitey was loaded down. I was playing a lot at the time, I wanted to go up there and record a song. Had no idea what song.

Frecklee loved the "cabin." It was a 360-degree, all glass walls round deal on stilts at the end of a gravel road. We went naked a lot that week (we were young into our relationship) , because nobody, but nobody was coming to that end of that gravel road. A small sign at the end of the driveway to the cabin said, "Begin NC State Wilderness."

That was my favorite vacation. Frecklee the Cat loved the place so much, looking out of all the windows, he cried, yammered all the way back home. LOUD. And for all of his life he never had but a word to say. He screamed and yowed all the way home. He hated leaving that place. Spankie loved thundering down the mountain on a dead run, glad nothing solid got in the way.

And in it all I did lay down a few tracks for a song. This was my favorite vacation, and there's a poorly done song to remember it by. At least Sue Unit and I can remember that trip by this song. We were reminded by it all tonight when Unit was trying to play it on guitar. She's getting pretty good at it. Well, better, anyway.

http://www.weeville.com/Tree%20Trunk%20Lounge.mp3

What's your favorite vacation of all time?
    Last edited by pdub; July 14, 2011, 04:21 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I have had many vacations over the years. Been here and there and done this and that...but I have to be honest...the best vacation I ever had was the summer I turned 18. Between July 27th 1993 and March 16th 1994 were the best days of my life in terms of fun and relaxation. I traveled around the state, went on weekend trips with friends partied and just plain had fun. I did work during that time but work was fun at the garage, driving tow trucks and running the stations at night...when I was done I would go out with friends. My boss was good to me and if I wanted a weekend off now and then he would give them to me...On the 16th of March 1994 I joined the USAF and in April of 1995 I got married....since then vacations have take on another meaning. They are fun, but not as carefree...too much responsibility.

I did have a great 4mo vacation when I deployed in support of ONW. I was in Turkey and had a freaking blast. I could go on for hours about that trip...but I wont...lets just say it was a damn good time, work and all.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; July 14, 2011, 04:50 PM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2 View Post
      I have had many vacations over the years. Been here and there and done this and that...but I have to be honest...the best vacation I ever had was the summer I turned 18. Between July 27th 1993 and March 16th 1994 were the best days of my life in terms of fun and relaxation. I traveled around the state, went on weekend trips with friends partied and just plain had fun. I did work during that time but work was fun at the garage, driving tow trucks and running the stations at night...when I was done I would go out with friends. My boss was good to me and if I wanted a weekend off now and then he would give them to me...On the 16th of March 1994 I joined the USAF and in April of 1995 I got married....since then vacations have take on another meaning. They are fun, but not as carefree...too much responsibility.

I did have a great 4mo vacation when I deployed in support of ONW. I was in Turkey and had a freaking blast. I could go on for hours about that trip...but I wont...lets just say it was a damn good time, work and all.
      air force is a vacation.

my favorite would be coming to maine as a kid, early 80s.
      I wonder if mentioning it to my dad back then is the reason we ended up here.

I liked travelling when I was in the air guard.

a cold start from maine, we were in san antonio for a warm night.

I don't forget those contrasts easily.
      from san antonio sunburned to -28F getting off the plane.

small strokes happen to twenty somethings too.

anyway. on top of a building, hot tub to myself. probably smelling the gulf. just right.

as close to a vacation I ever got.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 14, 2011, 05:26 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

DragWeek 07 and 2010.Hope 2011 is just as much fun.Almost forgot.Hawaii for my 10th Anniversary/Honeymoon.Didnt have a Honeymoon per se as the day after we got married my son had his first Junior Dargster race.LOL

Comment

I like all my vacations.

The seven day Christmas Cruise in the Caribbean? Twelve days in Germany? A week in Alaska? A week in Hawaii? Two week drive across America? A week at Bonneville? A week at Drag Week? Countless others... Who am to pick one as favorite, I'd do any of them again.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The ski vacation I took from 1979 through 1994 in Aspen.
            Last edited by 455 LeMans; July 14, 2011, 07:05 PM.
            Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

I'm kinda like Randal, I've been so many places it'd be hard to pick one since they've all been pretty awesome. The top ones would be: Vegas/SEMA (for obvious reasons lol) Ireland, Christmas in Arizona, Costa Rica, Massachusetts, Washington D.C., Disney World, the cruise to the Bahamas, Savannah, Louisiana...um...I'll stop there lol.
              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

hard for me to pick one also, ive been around 3/4 of the world, its a toss up between Thailand and Austrailia
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

in the nineties - daytona in february ..vegas in novenber

Comment

I love all my vacations. Cozumel every year rocks, especially because I get to see my step daughter that week. Power Tour. How can I beat that. One, maybe two weeks hanging with all my pals from all over. How can it get any better then that?
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

when I was growing up, we went on water skiing vacations to Trinity Lake in N. Cal, and to Prineville reservoir in Oregon.... those were fun, as was Lake Havasu AZ on jet skis.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

week in hawaii or the 2 days i spent florida keys on one of my florida trips. i did nothing car related on either vacation, but had a blast.

Comment

Working...
                        X