I Almost Wrenched Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Almost Wrenched Today

You guys would have been proud of me today. Not only did I do some manual labor, but I actually fixed something.....well, sort of. It ain't fixed.

Pushed the push mower around the yard to cut the perimeter by the fence and such. The tight corners where the riding mower won't fit easily. Got all hot and sweaty, pouring sweat and took a break, beer and air conditioning of course.

Cooled back off, drove the riding mower over the yard. I like that thing, a go-kart that does work. Went back in, did the cool down thing again, dreading the weedeater which is the final step. But step 3 is to tow the lawn sweeper behind the mower. I get to drive again - cool!

Hitched the sweeper up to the mower. That thing works better the faster you go. Made a lap around the back yard and started back the other way and....yo, that looks like my wheel lying on top the the hill!

That goes back to a guy I used to work with, (I used to work with a LOT of people), this guy would say "YO" to start every sentence. He went to get a new set of tires for his van, and left the tire store and was slowing down for a stop sign and a wheel passed him. He said, "YO, that looks like my wheel!"

So, YO that looks like my wheel on the hill...it sure was, I was doing more plowing than sweeping with the sweeper. The wheel and the gear and the whole deal fell right off of the sweeper, kerplunk.

It's hot. I'm sweating. I analyzed the situation. The retaining ring had come loose from the wheel axle (who knows when) and when I made a sharp turn, there went the wheel assembly.

I fixed it with some thin wire, wrapped it round and round the axle in the groove where the retaining ring used to be. Finished the job.

I nearly wrenched. How great is that?
    Last edited by pdub; July 16, 2011, 04:50 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I'm impressed - fixed, modified and improved.... as I said before, you're simply one "but honey, it's a good deal" away from your very own car
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If you keep saying that....I still wouldn't know what to do....can you fix a hotrod with baling wire?

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
        If you keep saying that....I still wouldn't know what to do....can you fix a hotrod with baling wire?
        in a word...yes. back story, wife and i went shopping took the lemans. came out of the story went to shift into first gear, shifter moved, tranny didn't. went back in to the store for a cotter pin to hold the linkage together, nothing. the only thing i had in the car was a small piece of baling wire. shoved it in the hole, held the linkage together till i got home. bought the proper retaining clip the next day. i now keep a spare clip with me at all times. however, baling wire did fix my car.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it can only be a hot rod if there is a fix that includes any/all of these items: duct tape, gaffers tape, bailing wire, and/or zip ties. I know for sure that it can't be a hot rod if those items aren't in the car as part of the tool box.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Actually, baling wire is a must, at least in my toolbox. My dad and I were going across western Kansas on I-70 and stopped at a rest area. When we were leaving, the car wouldn't steer! We'd dropped a tierod end, sitting in the parking lot, just glad it didn't happen on the interstate. We used baling wire and duct-tape to hold the tierod together to get to the next town on the interstate, about 50 miles. Unfortunately, this was on a sunday afternoon, and there was no place open to get a new tierod, hell there wasn't anything open. We ended up driving on into Nebraska before we found a tierod, on monday morning.

Comment

I think hose clamps are a necessity, too (just ask DF). But Peewee, ya done good and I'm proud of you.

But now the question is - is he a real hot rodder if he replaces the wire with a proper clip now - or is he more of hot rodder if replicates the redneck fix a number of times before obtaining the correct $0.26 cent clip?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                I'm pretty sure it can only be a hot rod if there is a fix that includes any/all of these items: duct tape, gaffers tape, bailing wire, and/or zip ties. I know for sure that it can't be a hot rod if those items aren't in the car as part of the tool box.
                Wait a second here......aren't you describing a Rat Rod..........

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I think hose clamps are a necessity, too (just ask DF). But Peewee, ya done good and I'm proud of you.

But now the question is - is he a real hot rodder if he replaces the wire with a proper clip now - or is he more of hot rodder if replicates the redneck fix a number of times before obtaining the correct $0.26 cent clip?

Dan
                  I'm outta wire Dan, that repair took all I had. Can't do that again, got no more wire.

Hose clamp....yeah, I think a hose clamp would be a permanent fix for the sweeper! Thanks for the idea. See, that's another reason I don't belong here. I don't think that way.
                  Last edited by pdub; July 17, 2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

See, that's another reason I don't belong here. I don't think that way.
                    See PeeDub, that's where you are too close to the disease to see the symptoms. In reality, we have already rubbed off on you by a fair margin.

A person with no BangShifty influence would have simply stopped and went to buy another sweeper, leaving the old one at the curb for one of us to scoop up and fix with baling wire.

PeeWee, my friend, you have already been assimilated. Its just that your deniability is starting to wear away. Sorry man.....
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'm outta wire Dan, that repair took all I had. Can't do that again, got no more wire.

Hose clamp....yeah, I think a hose clamp would be a permanent fix for the sweeper! Thanks for the idea. See, that's another reason I don't belong here. I don't think that way.
                      Peewee - you're NEVER out of wire. Repeat after me - "Coat Hanger". I welded an entire dune buggy together with 'em and they turn back into wire without much effort. We're slowly capturing your soul........

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X