Our Southern Arizona day trip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Southern Arizona day trip...

Got fed up with sitting around the house looking at the same walls so around noon I got a hair and decided to get the hell out of town for a few hours. We drove out to a town called Wilcox and hit up an orchard out there for some peaches, then we went to the other part of their farm and picked our own tomato's, green chili's and sweet corn. Then on the way back I remembered a sign I saw a few years back for a historic mining town in that area so I decided we will look for that. the place is called Pearce Az. and it was founded in the mid 1800's. Gold was discovered in the area around 1850(?) and by 1920 there were 1500 residence...I assume there are less than 100 now. Also, I really dig old cemeteries and when I run across one I generally check them out, if pics of this type of thing offend...please dont ready any further...

Last edited by JOES66FURY; July 16, 2011, 08:43 PM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

I can only assume this was some sort of storage facility for the gold that was found...

historic church, 1820's...

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

My favorite pic of the day...

this was at 65mph...

On the way back I drove 70, and got 31.5mpg average...

i figure at 75 I can still get 28+mpg....

I was blown away...I kept waiting for the needle on the gauge to move...normally when I mad trips like this in the truck i could watch the needle move....
      Last edited by JOES66FURY; July 16, 2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Joe on Tour

Comment

That was pretty interesting, thanks.

Comment

Strange to see a cemetary with no greenery.

Comment

Those kind of trips are the best ..... Neat stuff Joe.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I have been somewhat homebound because of the truck. At 9 mpg and almost 100 for each fill up I really couldn't go any where. I have been looking up ghost towns on the net and plan on hitting some of these up. I have a few more planned as well. The wife is not interested in such things, her loss IMO. Looling forward to next weekend

Comment

Great stuff. I like the history.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

If you look at the picture of the tractor you can see whats left of the mine on the mountain that lays just behind it. The road back to that area was a rough dirt road and as adventurous as I am...I ain't taking the car on it. There is a LOT of history in this area but sadly you need a truck to get to much of it.

If you drive around this area you can see a lot of abandoned mines dug into the hills....pretty neat if you ask me.

There is an old silver mining town just south of Tucson that warrants checking out, the Foreman found a Mexican miner trying to get away with a bunch of silver, the foreman executed him as an example and supposedly buried the silver near the mine. The Mexican workers were pissed so they looted whatever they could and ran back to Sonora. Mexican outlaws found out about the "buried treasure" and within days they came up form Sonora to try to find the silver, they won support of the Mexican workers and when they could not find the silver the tortured the mine owner and 2 other miners and killed them.

I hope there is something worth seeing there...

Comment

Cool Pics Joe!!!!

I'm going to have to plan some day trips myself, living here I sometime forget how much there is to see in this state and I'm sure it's something the kids will enjoy.........

Comment

lots of ghost towns out the Phx way on the registry...go out and see one...just for shits and grins.

Comment

neat! I'm still in California, should be back tomorrow. There's a ghost town called Fairbanks a bit north of us that has an old cemetery, the town is by the road but the cemetery is bit of a hike. There is the ruins of an old ore processing plant. no much left. Also the Clovis site is not too far from us, near the San Pedro, off of Moson Road. Also a hike from the parking area.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Love those old ghost towns......we've been to several out West
                            and enjoy going there
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                            X