Budget time bomb suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget time bomb suggestions

So, i have a plan.....would like some opinions or some advice, my buddy pulled a 305ho from his monte recently, i plan on doing a BB th350 swap this winter but in the meantime....here's my thought. Im going to home port the 305 heads to the best of my ability, lap the valves, #### im not even going to machine anything, just clean up the decks with emery cloth, new head gaskets, intake gaskets, and reuse everything els, pushrods, rockers, meh, even headbolts at this point unless i find a cheap set, and just bolt them on and see what happerns....motor has forged flat tops in it now, and stock smogger 76cc heads, if im reading everything right the 416 heads have 53cc chambers??? so i figure while giving up breathing and likely all out of steam by 5000rpm it should pull well down low...in a 1980 malibu wagon, with a 410 gear and a T5......so for the price of a weekend of time, and maybe 60$ in gaskets viola! Any input or idea's would be appreciated....thanks.
    Dave
    p.s, the 350 in it now has a comp 268 cam, air gap intake, 650DP, headers, 2 1/4 exhaust with 2 chambers.....
    Last edited by Guest; July 20, 2011, 04:28 AM.

are you saying the whole 305 into the wagon or the 416 heads onto the 350?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      are you saying the whole 305 into the wagon or the 416 heads onto the 350?
      416 HEADS on the 350 yup.....

Comment

I say your next problem will be detonation. Flat tops with 76cc heads is somewhere around 9.5:1 compression.... with 53cc - a guesstimate would be 11.5:1 or so...

What valves are on your current heads? IIRC the intake on 416 heads were 1.72s. The 305 heads are normally smaller volume as well, so if you do swap you might actually go backwards in power. The 305 heads work great for someone with a low-compression motor that they want cheap hp.... that doesn't sound like your motor

my
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 20, 2011, 07:05 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
          I say your next problem will be detonation. Flat tops with 76cc heads is somewhere around 9.5:1 compression.... with 53cc - a guesstimate would be 11.5:1 or so...

What valves are on your current heads? IIRC the intake on 416 heads were 1.72s. The 305 heads are normally smaller volume as well, so if you do swap you might actually go backwards in power. The 305 heads work great for someone with a low-compression motor that they want cheap hp.... that doesn't sound like your motor

my
          The 416 heads have 1:84, 1:50 valves in them, and yah, 58cc chambers, we have 94 on tap here so i think with carerfull timing i can get away with 11.0:1 hopefully lol.....the heads on it now are stone stock 76 vette heads, juuuuunk.......

Comment

Originally posted by BYGDDY View Post
            The 416 heads have 1:84, 1:50 valves in them, and yah, 58cc chambers, we have 94 on tap here so i think with carerfull timing i can get away with 11.0:1 hopefully lol.....the heads on it now are stone stock 76 vette heads, juuuuunk.......
            more cam would help if it pings...I'd think it would like 230-240* intake at .050 or more.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post

my
              it does run, and very hard. keep the cam tame.

if it is older 350, (76cc tells me it is a slob), it may be a real stinker. If it survives... it is a nice setup.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                it does run, and very hard. keep the cam tame.

if it is older 350, (76cc tells me it is a slob), it may be a real stinker. If it survives... it is a nice setup.
                Its out of a 76 vette, it was rebuilt app 10k ago with forged cheapie flattops and the comp 268, i added the air gap intake and 650DP. I talked to an older guy that lives in the same area as me the other night about it and he laughed and started telling me how him and his buddies would do very similiar setups cause back then no one could afford good heads, Midrange cam, good gas, and they would run like raped ape's right up to 5000 ish rpm.....its in a no option 80 malibu wagon, with a stick, and 4:10's ....im hoping this gives me the down low snap im looking for on a stupid cheap budget.....

Comment

Working...
                X