Need Info On Eastwood Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Info On Eastwood Welders

I'm looking for a bigger MIG as my little Lincoln 100 amp just doesn't quite have the poop to really burn in a roll cage. It's close but not quite. I've looked at Lincoln, Miller and others, looking at 180 or so amps (I have 220 in the shop). Our welding shop has fair prices on either Miller or Lincoln (the Lincoln is about $100 less but lacks auto set).

Are the Lowe's/Home Depot units really different from the welding store units? I'd like to support our local merchants but the welders are somewhat cheaper at Lowe's.

Anyhow, remembering that this is a home shop and I don't do this for a living, does anyone have input on the Eastwood stuff? Specifically -
    - Is it Chinese? I'm thinking it is but the website doesn't tell you.
    - Is the spool gun functional? I was surprised to see it includes a spool gun which would be nice to have.
    - Any thought on durability in a light use situation like mine?

I'm looking for a used unit as well so maybe I can score from CL or somewhere. That would be best as I REALLY prefer American made.

Dan

harbor freightey ?
    saw people bitching about hobarts being made in THE PRC
    hit the used miller market maybe ..a lot race car builders and chopper guys in NC have gone belly up

Comment

I was just surfing CL but no luck so far. Maybe the shops going under already have?

The Eastwood sure looks better than the HF stuff but who can say? It's just a pic online so far. Lots of positive feedback for what that's worth.

According to our local welding shop, Hobarts are made on the same line as Miller with the difference being the number of plastic parts. I suppose that they may have some Chinese internal bits but I don't know that for sure. However, Hobart does not currently offer a 240VAC unit (biggest is 140A IIRC) so the whole deal is beside the point.

Dan

Comment

any used units at the welding shops?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I just killed my first machine, found that live gun all the time and no label of electrical cert is not good. had no clue really. I still think of welding as a primitive arc type 1800s invention.
          of course made in china. Bought it at ebay.

15 mig reels later..I wanted another cheap one but with at least some cert label, a bit more inert appearing.

tractor supply had a 100 dollar special, no complaints. Gun stays off at the wire, lay it down anywhere with trigger off, gun is off. Simple thing to notice going cheap stuff.

you guys doing new stuff or eye candy are gonna have to pay. I am in the dirahea of steel fixing...and I hate paying.

used ones scare the hell out of me in thought anyway..
          my last one nuked itself from earth ground back in backwards.. took a nanosecond. The End.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This is what I have. I've had it for about 17 years and have had zero problems other then a glass control fuse that broke when I moved years ago.

Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Not here in town. I'll keep checking back with them. Not much luck on Ebay yet, either.

Dan

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              any used units at the welding shops?

Comment

I have the 140 amp Hungarian Technical Products welder too...it works. Had a problem with the spool spacer ring, was able to buy the upgraded one with no problem. I've had the machine for 18 years.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

why do you want to buy twice? I think the Eastwood ones are simply rebranded Lincoln welders - however, I know that Home Depot takes them back by the truckload (and you can buy "factory refurbished" pretty easily). For that reason I wouldn't buy the Lincolns... but I also know people who wouldn't own anything but Lincolns. I won't own anything but Miller, and I learned that lesson the hard way.

It also helps that I have a Miller welder that my dad bought in 1970, and I used it yesterday to TIG a stainless table back together.... works excellent. The other bit about Miller, they retain their value. When I upgraded from my small Miller to the 175, I actually sold it for more than I paid for it 3 years before.... pretty good test of quality IMO
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just bought the Miller 140 for at home and love it so far. The only complaint I have so far is the deal that Grainger had on them shortly after. See http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...iller+grainger
                    By the time I saw this deal it was over. $425 for the Miller 180. I would have bought multiple and sold for a profit. Just went thru training at Lincoln in Cleveland last week for a new system at work, but I'm thinking you don't need a full robotic welder for your roll cage.

Comment

Dan - don't cheap out on a welder - even occasional use - if that occasion is your roll cage - it's important - right?

I think Lincoln tarnished it's reputation when they put the cheap line at the home stores as mentioned above.

My old SP200 lincoln just keeps on going - but it's a big heavy old tank I bought used for $400 and has never let me down.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The Eastwood is NOT a rebadged anything. They used to sell the cheaper Lincolns but they were sold AS Lincoln. They developed the current welder in house to compete with Lincoln. What I don't know is where they actually MAKE the darn thing. The wire drive system and other bits look good but I have no way to assess the transformer and other important internal components.

I keep looking for used Lincoln/Miller welders as that would be my first choice.

Dan

Comment

Here's one made in Italy:

The swap meet special (very used for $50) 110 flux core unit I have is Italian made and has been reliable.

Here's a century / lincoln - not sure where this one is made - doesn't seem like a great price either:

Last edited by milner351; July 22, 2011, 08:54 AM.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks guys. I missed those Raleigh CL listings - I'm kind of new at this! Phone calls on the way. That Miller 200 is the cat's butt but may be a bit pricey for me. Still, worth a call.

I'll Google that Century. I LOOKS like a Lincoln but I have to wonder what the differences are.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X