No announcement yet.

Need Info On Eastwood Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the hobart line is made in the same place as the smaller miller stuff. they are both owned by the same tool company. there is nothing wrong with the lincolns from HD if you actually know what you are buying. when they went to the new style, some of them are not made here. we use the little lincoln wire feeders sometimes for smaller stuff its easier than dragging hundreds of feet of lead around. i have a newer lincoln tig and it was made in italy. all of the eastwood stuff looks just like other brand welders. not all the same brands but they all do like like other brands available, so if they make there own are they buying the cases from the big guys? i have a hobart 210 mig and its awsome, made here, great customer service, decent warranty, and the price was right. you can usually pick them up on some kind of sale through northern or tsc. i have a small lincoln mig that my dad bought around 94, i hooked it up with the solenoid to run gas a few years later and i love it. i keep the 023 wire in it and keep it setup just for sheetmetal. its only a 110 thats why i bought the 210. the newer machines are more efficient, so id just try to buy new. i have nothing against used either though if the price is right. im a welder and im not brand loyal, i like miller electric machines and lincoln engine drives. stick with a big name and youll be good. oh yeah, you really dont need infinite adjustable voltage. it costs more and really isnt necessary. of coarse if you get a machine with taps compare them, more taps for the same size machine is better than a machine with less taps.
    Last edited by 1931s/x; July 22, 2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I've been doing a bit more research since my last post and here's what I know for sure:

The Century is made in the US and appears to, indeed, be a Lincoln. That's a pretty good price on the link John posted. Starting to taste pretty good.

The Italian job might be OK but I worry about it. Remember Magnetti Marelli? I know about Volta and those guys but that was a long time ago! Besides, what good ever came out of Italy??!! (Sorry John - I just HAD to tease you!).

The Millermatic that Russell posted is a 200 amp machine and is a old timer. They are a great machine by all accounts but some parts (like the transformer) are no longer available. Also, it's possible but not easy to attach a spool gun later on if I want to melt some aluminum. The newer machines pretty much just hook right up. I wasn't clear if this one had a spool gun with it but he did mention 2 tanks so maybe it does. I have a call in to the owner so we'll see where that goes.

The 135 is, I fear, just a bit too small. Good deal, though.

The other Miller is too big and WAY too pricey for what I need it to do.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm still not sure if Woody (Caminokid on here) bought me that Miller at a garage sale and I've lost his phone number so maybe I already have one!

Lots to chase down
      Dan

Comment

a 135 is a pretty capable welder for car stuff.

Comment

I need to burn in roll cages from time to time and every once in a while I do a little structural iron, too. My 100 is just a bit too small and I figured that if I'm going to upgrade I might as well get a 240VAC machine (I have the power in the shop).

Thanks for your input!
          Dan

Comment

Glad you liked a couple of my finds. There where more welders on the raleigh list I just picked a few you might want to do your own search.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Did you find them in "Tools"? I looked there Thursday and only found the one that was too pricey. I'll keep checking, for sure.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Did you find them in "Tools"? I looked there Thursday and only found the one that was too pricey. I'll keep checking, for sure.

Dan
                Yes on the raleigh list under tools I put nothing in the price boxes, and did 4 diffrent searches: mig, miller, lincoln welder. Hope that helps
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Time to resurrect this old post......

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Eastwood tonight. It seemed to offer the biggest bang for the buck of all the ones I looked at (and there were MANY), the warranty was excellent, and the feedback was almost universally positive. So I held my nose and dove in. Did the deed from Ebay where it was $499.99 (OK, 5 Bills) and included free shipping. I could have made the buy from the website, where it was $534 + $41 in shipping. Seems like the Ebay deal was worth it! As a reminder, this is for a 175 amp, 240 VAC input wirefeed including a spool gun. Worth a try - but wish me luck.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X