Need help with boss ASAP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with boss ASAP...

The question: How do I bring this up to my boss without sounding like a b*tch?

The backstory: Simply put, my coworkers are users. They expect me to run all over town when they need something, to use my truck to haul stuff around and do their work. Now, I pay extra for a premium parking pass so I have access to more lots. Yesterday one coworker asked if "we" could use my truck to go get some stuff he found in surplus (bookcase, a chair or two, etc.). I told him no, they have trucks over there to do that; I get here at 7am to get a good spot, if I move my truck I'm SOL, and my back is so effed up from working on the deck I don't want to walk any farther than I have to. He got kinda ticked about it.

Later in the day another coworker asked if I'd go to Best Buy to get her a hard drive. I had already emailed her the info and told her she needed to go look at them herself (because she's so picky). It was her turn to get mad when I told her that was on the other side of town, I'd just made my truck payment, my fuel gauge was hovering on empty and payday wasn't till next Friday; I'm not veering off my home-to-work path unless someone is dying. This is the person that told me I needed to put a bedcover on my truck so I could haul more stuff to meetings and to go buy her a heater (in June) because she was cold and didn't want to go get one

I'm a nice person, I really am, and I don't mind helping out some, but they expect me to do all of this and don't take anything else into consideration.
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

I as hoping you were asking about a Boss Mustang, but I digress...

I've worked at several places that strictly prohibit the use of personal vehicles for work related tasks - I think due to insurance reasons.

I would not hesitate to approach your boss - after a sufficient cooling off period - and tactfully state your concern about using your vehicle for work - and being asked to be the taxi and transport service for your co-workers, that's a valid concern that any reasonable person can understand.

Surely the university own's pickups for such use - it probably takes some effort to get the use of one - likely some sort of approval and sign out procedure, but it's high time for your co- workers to get off their lazy behinds and quit relying on you and your vehicle to make thier jobs easier.
    Last edited by milner351; July 22, 2011, 06:03 AM.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

New rate for truck: 3.25 USD per mile, 10 mile minimum. Line forms here.

If your back is really hurting, go to the doc and ask for a Handicap permit...
      Last edited by Beagle; July 22, 2011, 06:16 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I agree w/Beags .... but my rate would be more like $5.00 per mile .... gotta cover wear n tear + insurance. Before you talk to the boss, do some research about job duties, etc. Then, as Milner said, pull up policy on use of private vehicles while on the clock. After you know what all that says, approach the boss with your concerns. It'll be hard for him/her to ignore you when you come armed with policy and procedure .....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

let me make it official - all the advice so far is spot on.... call your insurance agent and say "what would my premium be if I used my truck for work purposes." The answer will be "about 3x more than what you're paying now." However, there is a bright side - if you got into an accident while hauling around your employer's worthless __ not only could you get the company to pay damages to your truck (presuming you weren't negligent), but you'd get workman's comp and the opportunity to sue your company for all of the hours you spent hauling him around and weren't paid for doing so (neither of the last two are dependent on fault).

so while you could put your job at risk by telling your boss to *off, you might be able to get him to decide it's better not to force this issue because of insurance purposes.... oh yeah, and keep track of the hours, distance and whether or not it was overtime hours when you haul stuff for him. And send him an email that appears joking, but says "from here on out, I have to charge you for hauling stuff for you." That email, plus your accurate records will be like a nice bonus program

oh - and another thing - you'd be personally liable if you got in an accident while driving your truck for work.... if you're driving a company rig (as long as it's not a frolic and detour) that scenario is far less likely
          yeah, lawyers are stinkers - get over it
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 22, 2011, 07:02 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

See...I knew all of y'all would be helpful lol. I hadn't even thought about the insurance aspect. Mine is already outrageous as it is because it's a super sport. There's no chance of me telling my boss to eff off because he's not the one asking, it's everyone else in the office. He just lives in his own little world and doesn't know what goes on most of the time. I think the insurance and liability thing will be what makes them back off, because it sure isn't the fact that I don't have extra money to blow on gas to run their errands.
            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

It sounds like your issues are with the co-workers and not he boss. So, why talk to him about anything?
              STUGOTS

Comment

Because they don't take no for an answer and expect me to be the office errand b*tch.

Comment

Haley, I'm absolutely sure that you're one of "The Good Guys". It's amazing how few internal limits some people have and they'll ask for anything until someone (like you) puts on the brakes. I'm not sure why your boss needs to be involved - I say, just tell the vultures "NO". If you need an excuse, try "No, my insurance won't cover me in those situations and I'm not willing to take that chance". They'll stop asking pretty soon.

Best of luck
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70 View Post
                    Because they don't take no for an answer and expect me to be the office errand b*tch.
                    Well, no matter how you present your case to the boss....there's no gaurantee that he'll relay it properly to your co-workers. So, you best handle it direct. Oh, and sac up and spell the whole word BITCH. That maybe part of why everyone uses you
                    STUGOTS

Comment

One thing I learned in the military is if you do the impossible with nothing they will expect it and more every time. The same thing happens with you at work, you are nice and helpful, considerate and you genuinely care about people, they expect you to do whatever they ask. They expect it because you have before. If it is not in your job description, then you dont have to do it, and your coworkers can get mad, testy, pissed, or whatever. They are taking advantage of your generosity, and I know you wont let that happen for long, strong independent people simply dont allow it.

Everyone had good advice above, but there is a balance between being caring and helpful and not being a doormat.

It is inevitable that if you own a running truck, someone will ask if you can move something for them.

Comment

Or....

You could drive an old Chevette or Corolla and then nobody would want to borrow your truck.

Ron

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

one of the best bumper stickers of all time IMHO reads:

"yes this is my truck
                          NO I won't help you move!"
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                            Well, no matter how you present your case to the boss....there's no gaurantee that he'll relay it properly to your co-workers. So, you best handle it direct. Oh, and sac up and spell the whole word BITCH. That maybe part of why everyone uses you

LOL
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                              Trust me, I have no problem with my language. I just try to be conscientious of who could be reading this. I'm also about ready to start driving the Mustang every day so there's no possible way I can do anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X