No announcement yet.

Music Stuff (well, drummer stuff.....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Stuff (well, drummer stuff.....)

OK, so I'm in a pawn shop a few days ago looking for a new (to me) MIG welder and what to my wondering eyes should appear? No, not a sleigh and so forth. Just the following E-drums.

I've been needing a volume knob for some time so I went nuts and bought the darn thing. Now here's the dilemma - why, after not playing for probably 8 years or more, am I unable to do the things on a drum kit that I could do in years past? No offense to Peewee, but now I'm Rusty!

So I copied a bunch of tunes to an iPod (which plays thru the drum kit controller so you can play along with Keith Moon or Max Weinberg or whoever) and I've been abusing the music for several days now. Still a long way to go to get back to the bottom.

This will replace my BIG set, the '80's Tama kit pictured. (I can't get the "Attachments" function to put the pics in the other order.) Anyone interested?

It IS fun and a great workout, even in this weather.
    Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanStokes; July 24, 2011, 01:29 PM.

I've wanted my own kit...but I'm like you: I haven't played in YEARS seriously, and the last time I ran a kit at all was early '09.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

It's dumb - I've had the Tama kit set up and sitting in the drum room for a year or more and I simply haven't touched it. My excuse was that it's SO LOUD that I'd disturb the neighbors but I doubt they'd really care. Anyhow, the E-drums make almost no noise w/o amp and I can hear 'em thru the headphones and I AM actually playing them so I guess I'm out of excuses. Now if I can get back some skills....

Dan

Comment

I will get those pesky, noisy drums out of your way the next time I come that way Dan. I hate to see you suffer like that....drums all over the place, taking up all your room.

I thought you were gonna be playing a bass...do I need to get that too?
        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Dave - I'd love to pass the Tama kit along to you - but you'll need the semi to tote 'em! They're yours for a $grand, including the Istanbul ride cymbal, which is AMAZING. I didn't know that you played. Other offers will be considered.

Keep yer crummy hands off my Rickenbocker! I LOVE me some 4001 action - bought new in 1976 and I have the sales receipt (if I can find it). The 100 watt Fender Bassman amp stays as well.

Dan

Comment

as much as I love acoustics - the electric drums are just so much more practical - and they keep the peace with the family and neighbors as well. What you have there Dan is very similar to what I play in the praise band at Church - are those roland?

I have one major complaint - the response / sensitivity of the cymbals - just not the same as real ones - hopefully yours are better.
            Last edited by milner351; July 25, 2011, 09:22 AM.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yep, Rolands they are. I agree that the cymbals have room for improvement but I'm hoping that improved sensors come out and I'll replace as they do. Also, this kit only has mesh heads on the snare and I'll look for replacements as funds allow. For what I paid I can update from time to time and still be OK on the whole deal.

I have the TD4 controller which is pretty basic but is really all I need. I have no desire to make the kit sound like a bagpipe or locomotive or whatever - the 26 settings I have now are more than enough.

Actually John - seeing you play the E-drums with the band was what really started me to wanting a set. So it's ALL your fault!

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; July 25, 2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I played from the time I was 5 into my twenties. Haven't played a lick in 25 years. I keep thinking about doing it again, and I think the e-drums are probably the way to go.

Great to see someone get back to it.
                I'm still learning

Comment

I play "real" acoustic drums and also am pretty handy with drum machines, however, I haven't spent much seat time with e-drum kits... Of course cymbal sounds are going to be an issue, after all, they're already such an arguable issue with "real" cymbals-- achieving a good sound with cymbals (real or electronic) is always a bit of an effort... Even though I usually do all the percussion work for BIG STICK, we did recently bring Johnny Kelly of TYPE O NEGATIVE and DANZIG to play drums on a new track of our's... He's one of the most naturally talented and skilled drummers I know of in all of rock 'n' roll-- He's amazing... Good luck with the e-kit... It's good to keep music in your life, whether it be acoustic, electronic, or whatever... Have fun...

my daily drag racin' blog...
                  http://www.dragracingunderground.com...blog&Itemid=27
                  http://www.DragRacingUnderground.com

Comment

Originally posted by Diana The Doc View Post
                    I play "real" acoustic drums and also am pretty handy with drum machines, however, I haven't spent much seat time with e-drum kits... Of course cymbal sounds are going to be an issue, after all, they're already such an arguable issue with "real" cymbals-- achieving a good sound with cymbals (real or electronic) is always a bit of an effort... Even though I usually do all the percussion work for BIG STICK, we did recently bring Johnny Kelly of TYPE O NEGATIVE and DANZIG to play drums on a new track of our's... He's one of the most naturally talented and skilled drummers I know of in all of rock 'n' roll-- He's amazing... Good luck with the e-kit... It's good to keep music in your life, whether it be acoustic, electronic, or whatever... Have fun...

my daily drag racin' blog...
                    http://www.dragracingunderground.com...blog&Itemid=27
                    TYPE O NEGATIVE That's my blood type!

My sister can sing "Crazy" to make you cry, me, I'm a dancer...

~Gail
                    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Gee, it's my blood type too, kind of somewhat rare among the general population, maybe that's one of the contributing factors to having this gearhead oriented affliction of ours...
                      http://www.DragRacingUnderground.com

Comment

Originally posted by Diana The Doc View Post
                        Gee, it's my blood type too, kind of somewhat rare among the general population, maybe that's one of the contributing factors to having this gearhead oriented affliction of ours...
                        We are very rare indead! The Universal Donors, I have 4 Gallon pins! And am on the bone marrow registry.

I admire all these gearheads alot, but must confess I am into my gearhead husband, I am not really a gearhead myself. I'm sure nobody would have figured that out...
                        If the freaking car runs I am happy...

~gail
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

This blood talk got me thinking that i should donate...haven't don it in a while. I don't keep track of how much I've donated...I don't even know how many times you have to donate to make a gallon. I started when i was about 25 and had it saved for my sister...we were both A- and they said it was kinda hard to come by.

I looked up what blood types I could use and it turns out not too many.

So I started out wanting Dans drums, and now I was hoping you two girls might send me a bag or two of your blood so I could keep it in the freezer in case of emergency.....

Yes...I'm joking
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Just checked my donor card, O+ here.

And cannot play drums at all, just to keep thread on track
                            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

You GO Dan! We'll get the BS Band put together one of these years.

That's a nice-looking e-kit. Mine's 11 or 12 years old, a Roland. Like milner pointed out, at least back then the cymbals (the sound and the feel of striking it for sure) were an issue. Unless you're not even a drummer to begin with, like me. Rubber cymbals that go CRASH when you tap them.

Does your kit have any rim sensors, like doing a rim shot on the snare?

pdub
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X