Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dog problem - anybody have the same issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog problem - anybody have the same issue ?

I have a 8 year old male lab mix, recently he has started chewing on EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING, I still trying to figuire out how he got the lid off

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Try taking him outside and playing with him more ... normally that type of behavior from a k9 indicates that they are bored and not getting enough attention.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Seems strange for an 8 year old to just now start chewing on stuff like a teething puppy - what has changed in the dog's life recently?
      Is he bored all of the sudden - being left alone more? Loose a companion pet?
      Is he eating more in general lately or getting more exercise than previously?

That's weird to start that at 8 - something must've changed.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the wife and kids were in colorado for a week but came back yesterday, he did the can of soup today, the baseball was last week, I did give the dogs new gigantic rawhide bones since I knew they were going to be inside all day be themselves while I was at work and the wife and kids were gone
        Last edited by BOOOGHAR; July 26, 2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Here's to hoping the chewing stops when the family comes back home and his surroundings are "normal" to him again.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm going to quote my hero (in the dog world), Cesar Millan. "Exercise, discipline, and affection - in that order. Americans tend to do affection, affection, affection. Then when the dogs don't get their way, like when the family's gone, they loose it. Lord knows I love my boys but they get all the exercise I can give them (I even bought a motor scooter to run the pup because I can't on my own), they have rules, boundaries and limitations, and then it's LOTS of love. Not sure how you guys handle this but you (all the humans) must be the pack leader(s).

I'm sure John's right - something (maybe the fam being gone) has changed and he's reacting inappropriately.

Good luck
            Dan

Comment

have you checked his teeth?
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I just got this today - was very skeptical, but my bloodhound chews our hickory table (yeah, hickory).... this works - she's still working on it - which, given the life span of everything else, is only second to antlers..... and this is less expensive

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Check out the book Family Dog by Richard Wolters .... not so much the training part, but he explains different behaviors and what they mean.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I'd have his teeth checked. He could have a chipped tooth and be trying to break off the rest of it, if it bothers him. This happened to our Weimaraner a few months back - he had an exposed nerve in a half broken tooth and it was driving him crazy, thus he was chewing on all kinds of new things.

If it weren't for the "exercise, discipline, affection" routines our dog probably would have eaten his way through my entire house by now. Cesar Milan is the king IMO. His books are good easy reads too.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

On the flip side, you should fasten them to a "Beware of dog" sign. That'll make a burglar think twice.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

hes calmed down, I guess it was the wife and kids being gone and him not having anyone to play with during the day, he still acts like a pup some times, and I dont have to worry bout the beware of dog sign, he already has a reputation. Ive had animal control called on me three different times cause hes killed someones cat

Comment

Originally posted by boooghar View Post

....ive had animal control called on me three different times cause hes killed someones cat

good dog! Now sit!
                          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

whats funny is that when animal control rolls by my house the dog catcher honks and waves when he goes by (dog pound is on the same street as me) He hasnt gotten in trouble cause hes always on his leash or in his yard when "things happen"

Comment

Working...
                            X