No announcement yet.

Hagerty Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug, I was waiting to hear what you had to say after remembering your reply in the sad thread. I don't require special insurance, nor do I plan on running nitrous, but info is always nice to read.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
      Well, say all you want bad about Hagerty, but Im not going to. Im sitting here healing , after totaling my olds. They were nothing but great to deal with. And I never had a milage restriction in all my years with them . ( over 15 ) My GTO is in pieces and its still covered by them.
      Spidey, CNA used to write the policeys for Hagarty. My wife worked for CNA.
      Understandable. But just blindly refusing to insure a car because it has parts of a nitrous system installed is silly and rubs me the wrong way. Someone who wrecks a car on the street because a 150 shot was too much for them to handle are the same ones who will wreck a 800hp supercharged car. I see no difference. Except for the stigma. For that, I say thank you to the movies.
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

in your state is it even legal to drive on the road with a nos system hooked up.?
        you can't here, but turbos and s/c are legal.. hint hint

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
          in your state is it even legal to drive on the road with a nos system hooked up.?
          you can't here, but turbos and s/c are legal.. hint hint
          No laws for it or against it in WA. Few towns have tried to do the 'unhooked' bottle provision, but they have little jurisdiction over state laws. Bunch of other states though....not so cool. http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/dll/N20_state_laws.htm

Comment

39 states have laws against nitrous in street cars. They are all different in some respects. Maybe that's part of their reasoning.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              39 states have laws against nitrous in street cars. They are all different in some respects. Maybe that's part of their reasoning.
              Yeah, except that violating state law is grounds to void your policy...so that laws actually reduce their direct risk.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                Yeah, except that violating state law is grounds to void your policy...so that laws actually reduce their direct risk.
                even a newb laywer could get around that

Comment

right, none of the collector insurance will
                  Not true. I've had Grundy for years......no mileage restrictions either. Recommend them, but don't know what their take on nitrous is.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Not true. I've had Grundy for years......no mileage restrictions either. Recommend them, but don't know what their take on nitrous is.
                    I have grundy, must be garaged, but no mileage restrictions

Comment

I insured some big hp street cars with cna ...but it was just basic liability ..only out of the garage one night a month or so

cna became encompass and got pricey ..got flo from progressive now on my two junks , just liability
                      Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; August 3, 2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

even a newb laywer could get around that
                        I'm not so certain of that assertion.

Hagerty is good insurance, but it's their company and their rules - there are companies out there that insure with nitrous; but I doubt you'll get the same coverage for the same price (or even 2x the Hagerty price).
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                          I'm not so certain of that assertion.

Hagerty is good insurance, but it's their company and their rules - there are companies out there that insure with nitrous; but I doubt you'll get the same coverage for the same price (or even 2x the Hagerty price).
                          Yep.
                          The Chevelle has FULL coverage through Hagarty with a stated value much higher than the Blue Book would give it.
                          The Blazer has PIP and Liability only through Allstate ... and it would only be valued by Blue Book* if it was totalled.

-Yet the Blazer costs nearly 3 times as much to insure.

With prices so low, Hagarty is more toward people who occasionally cruise around in their classic, not people who use nitrous. As I said earlier (aside from being illegal in 39 states) they would probably lose money insuring cars with nitrous. Don't be angry with them for operating their business in a profitable manner - that's what they are supposed to do.

*Blue Book is what I've always heard - but lately one of the ambulance chasers, I mean personal injury attorneys, has been running commercials claiming that the insurance company owes you replacement value, so call 1-800- blah blah blah.

Comment

so what are the downsides to nitros?
                            1) breaks things in spectacular fashion
                            2) makes a car have a jekyl and hyde personality
                            3) you're carrying around a bottle with 2500 psi of gas
                            4) ....?
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                              so what are the downsides to nitros?
                              1) breaks things in spectacular fashion
                              Did that with a supercharger already (timing, remember to set it correctly!). Same happens with turbos. Seen N/A motors toss rods too. Nitrous is no more dangerous than anything else.
                              2) makes a car have a jekyl and hyde personality
                              Don't think this is such a bad thing. Don't need 700hp while cruising the streets. At the track however...
                              3) you're carrying around a bottle with 2500 psi of gas
                              Yup, in a fully certified and defect free ANSI rated pressure vessel designed to take 2.5 times the intended pressure of it's contents. Minimum recommended test pressure of 3600psi Also, nitrous should be at 900psi. 2500psi would have activated the pressure relief valve long ago since most give way at 1900-2000psi.

So, the upsides?
                              1. Cost me $400 to add 150hp.
                              2. Able to run a cam with a wider LSA to take advantage of the nitrous. Car idles better with more vacuum.
                              3. No complex turbo exhaust
                              4. Silent operation, no blower whine
                              5. Car doesn't notice it's there unless it's turned on

The downside you didn't cover?
                              1. It has a stigma associated with it and many myths that scare people off. We all know what happens in Fast and the Furious when you use two bottles of NAWs. We have all seen the pictures of the exploded garage from someone who left their bottle heater on overnight and didn't have a functioning relief valve. Go to youtube and there is no shortage of nitrous fires destroying cars that don't have any safety features in place that would stop fuel AND nitrous flow. Stories of guys destroying engines by not using the right spark plug or retarding their ignition. All of these things make it harder for honest hot-rodders to get equal and honest insurance coverage. Guess I could just lie and hope for the best...but I'm not that kind of guy.

Already in contact with two other companies that will cover at an agreed value and a similar rate even with a nitrous kit installed.
                              Last edited by 1970camaroRS; August 4, 2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                                Already in contact with two other companies that will cover at an agreed value and a similar rate even with a nitrous kit installed.
                                That's great.
                                Regardless of my personal feelings about nitrous, I'm glad there are companies who will give you the proper legal coverage.

Comment

Working...
                                X