Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craigslist and dirt bikes.... why do I do this to myself?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    dang you beagle/bbr - now I'm going to have to go fire (and ride) my CR500 tomorrow.... I had it all tucked away so I'd get other things accomplished... you both are a bad influence.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Took the bikes out to my Dad's land today. They had a blast. Jake did really well for his first time riding a bike with a clutch. He's still a little timid taking off, but that will pass.

They rode and rode and wanted to go back tomorrow, but we already have other plans. Can't wait to go riding WITH them! Oh yeah, both of them ate a little dirt. Judd washed out the front wheel and lowsided. Jake grabbed a whole handfull of hydraulic disk front brake and slid the front tire and fell over. Lessons learned!
    Last edited by BBR; August 13, 2011, 09:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Damn, I'm sure you must be my long lost brother or something..... lol

Roost. That's why I avoided getting a motocross bike (that and the fact I wanted something with a decent sized gas tank!) My last bike was a '93 RM250. Light switch powerbands are not very good for trail riding with the kids.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I just rolled a '89 CR250 across the yard... gawd it's tall compared to me. Eek. Now I want to start it up and terrorize the neighbors and then hide it in the garage. Thankfully, I don't have a middle of the back red mullet any more and they won't be able to tell who it was with a full face on.

The shock idea sounds right... good temp fix. Yay for Mom! Don't roost the kids with that Kawi. lol.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Thankfully, momma understands that boys need to be boys!

Went and checked out the KDX. It fired right up on the second kick. It was in great condition and my buddy said he would even deliver when he comes to mow this week. Free delivery. lol

Beagle, I found a whole rear shock for the 125 on ebay for $40. I'm just going to cut the spring down and swap the shock. Just until he gets used to riding it.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied

bit longer than I thought - 290 ish miles, but still... would be a great weekend. I was curious if they had lowering links for the 125...and it appears they do. Seeing the stuff you've done, I bet you could make it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailrider.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	856801

Oh, and congratulations on not getting killed by momma!
    Last edited by Beagle; August 9, 2011, 03:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    There's a deal in Muenster (sp?) Red River trails that's not all that bad a trip. You can camp there I think. It's like 2700 acres of trails. Is that bigger than NJ?

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    There are plenty of places to ride around here.

SCORE!! They are in great condition. A little scuffed, but they both start and run nice. The guy said his boys broke the throttle cable on the 90 yesterday so the guy hands me $20 and says the Yamaha dealer is holding a cable for you if you'll go by and pick it up. lol The 125 is the large wheel version. I really wanted the small wheel, but it was such a good deal, I ain't complaining!

Still haven't told the wife..... yowza.
    in NY/NJ all private property , of course texas probably is too , be careful

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    Get good safety gear too! Because at some point one of those boys will say, "Hey EVERYBODY, Watch this!"

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Guy just called back about the KDX200 and it turns out to be good family friend of ours who has taught my kids tennis lessons and also mows our lawn. lmao

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    Dirt bikes are crazy fun!
    Still on motorcycle hiatus but also still have all the bikes . I need a vacation from the ground (It's hard) and broken stuff (That gets expensive) from bikes that always seem to need more power and better suspension.
    As far as dirt bikes go, the TTR 50 (w/electric start) is ready to go, my big KTM 525 needs about 3 hours and zero $ and it will be ready to go. All I need is some gumption.
    My do some fun rides this fall and get back into it some with my Daughter?
    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; August 8, 2011, 10:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Brought them home from the office yesterday. The boys were super pumped.

Cleaned them up, and tightened some bolts, etc. Took the 90 out in the backyard and let the boys (and me) ride it around. That thing is a freaking BLAST! I want them to ride it first to get used to the controls. Jake can tip-toe on the 125. I might pull the shock and chop the spring to lower the ride height a smooch just to boost his confidence level. His buddy (same age and size) has the same bike so that will help.

First modification....

Just ran across a nice clean looking KDX200 on CL for a decent price for me.... lol

Anybody want to buy a big block Mustang? haha

Leave a comment:

• moparmaniac07
    replied
    I outgrew it, moved on to a KTM 250, then on to a Charger. They both took precedence over it.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
    I've got a TTR 125, had fun with it. I got mine when I was in 6th grade. Haven't ridden it in years though, outgrew it. I'd probably still ride it if it didn't need a new chain and sprocket, I don't feel like spending the money and it's annoying to have to keep putting the chain back on.
    60-70 bucks? It's a 428 chain right? Hell, try a new chain w/o sprockets unless you're already needle pointed on the sprockets? One night of steaks with the family , missed, will pay for it. I'm suffering Hooters withdrawal for 2 weeks to pay for my latest urge... My G5 Kawi would run about 70. How do the TTR's do? I'm guessing 60+ is no problem, which is why I'm saying to James put a bigger back sprocket on it.

Leave a comment:

• moparmaniac07
    replied
    I've got a TTR 125, had fun with it. I got mine when I was in 6th grade. Haven't ridden it in years though, outgrew it. I'd probably still ride it if it didn't need a new chain and sprocket, I don't feel like spending the money and it's annoying to have to keep putting the chain back on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X