X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan War: Hobbyists' Toy Truck Saves 6 Soldiers' Lives

just had to post this one!

Afghanistan War: Hobbyists' Toy Truck Saves 6 Soldiers' Lives

Staff Sgt. Chris Fessenden, on patrol in Afghanistan, says a radio-controlled hobbyists' truck, sent to him by his brother and a friend in Rochester, Minn., saved six soldiers' lives. The soldiers used it to check for roadside bombs on patrol, and it set one off.
    www.msdperformance.com

that is freakin awsum
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

HMMM...maybe I need to pack up the 8 trucks on the shop shelf and send them over.......

OOOPS....mine are Nitro....... that one is Elec.
      Last edited by Chassisman; August 4, 2011, 12:59 PM.
      The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

All mine are nitro too, a bit loud and troublesome. Electric would work much better.

Back a few years ago my brother got his Army unit into RC trucks and planes while in Iraq, then he started the Kandahar RC club in Afghanistan. Using them like this makes sense, its like a UAV but it can see things a plane cant. They have some cool little UAVs that look like hawks, you program it, launch it, it comes back, and you download the video. You would think the Army would set the ground units up with trucks like this, but then again nothing simple works in the Army... The USAF doing it would cost $10k per truck, they would only go 15 mph, but they would probably be quiet..lol.

There are a few real time remote video cameras out now, so you can have POV from the vehicle. With a couple additions you could give it the capability to look up or around. Very cool idea.

Comment

that is a cool story, thanks for sharing it
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

How great is this! Thanks for posting this story.

Comment

That is a sweet story. i have one of the stampedes and they are a riot. I can see where this would be very useful for what they are doing.
              Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Very refreshing to hear positive news for a change !

Comment

Working...
                X