No announcement yet.

bench race this... cam choice (roller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench race this... cam choice (roller)

engine built in 1993-4 (never ran)
    350 2 bolt block
    30 over
    4 bolt splayed caps
    lunati forged crank
    oliver rods with arp's top rod bolts (as of 1992)
    fluiddamp 8"
    clevit bearing
    trw LT1 pistons (forged 30 over)(10.2 with these heads)
    brodix trackI heads 222 cc intake port 67cc chambers 2.10 intake and 1.60 exh.
    ported in 1993 flowed intake port flows over 298 cfm at 700 lift. The exhaust port flows over 200 cfm at 700 lift. with 88% of total flow from .3 lift up
    comp pro mag full roller rockers (1.5)
    bowtie big port ,tall single plane intake
    head/gasket/intake port matched
    cam in the engine now comp cams flat tap 292 (.501 lift i/e)

unless I can find angle plug headers for a g body this will make it's way into my 71 c-10 as I'm sure I can make my big tube hooker headers for my(sold) 3rd gen t/a to fit /work
    it has a th350 but will be getting a 200r4 with 2400-2600 stall
    gear ratios. ... 200r4, 2.74, 1.57, 1.00, 0.67
    at the moment the rear is a 12 bolt open 3.08 gear.. have another truck rear not known gears or open or posi have to look .
    tires are 295/50/15 (26.7" )

if I find headers for angle plug and g body
    it still be a 200r4
    3.73 rear gear with 26" tire (as of now 215/65/15) untill I see what fits

71c-10 4700 lb
    86 SS 3397 lb

carbs are either a 850 race bear claw d/p
    a 750 demon d/p
    a 750 3310
    or a 800 q jet

bench race away..
    if I go higher stall converter I can't keep the lock up..
    no idea if the lock up clutch can even hold with this power but on hyway I'd like to engauge it to keep the heat down in o/d

note this is not a roller block and roller kits are not cheap so I want to get it right the first time

note this is for ideas , may try to use the 292, but hih zinc oils are getting harder and harder to find

will see nos dual stage plate 1st stage progressive controlled
    Last edited by Stich496; August 7, 2011, 08:59 PM.

nice setup and cheap...

I recalled that lockup stuff, mine was 1984, on guessing 300hp, compression also in the tens. simple 350, high comp.. 47 something lift, all cheaply built.

it delayed the lockup, but still worked, by about 500 rpm later than the stock little 305. that is all I noticed about that..and if you really get after it as in top end runs, it delays even further...it is like its goal is to make a brick wall at really high speeds, less noticable at lower speeds.
    I remember wanting the the real four speed. the lockup was actually something I did not like much. I am thinking back 15 years to mention it.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 7, 2011, 10:03 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HO...5&autoview=sku
      1.75 Hookers angle plug compatible for the Monte.

Brodix indicates a 11.5:1 suggested minimum compression and 3500-7000 for those heads? I was thinking a 288 Comp solid roller, retro fit cam is about 300.00 - [email protected] and .550 lift, but I think it might be a little lazy downstairs. Those are pretty big runners for a 350.
      Free Shipping - COMP Cams Magnum Solid Roller Camshafts with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshafts at Summit Racing.

I'm thinking more converter might be necessary? The buick boys can help you out there with recommendations but I did see this place (don't know anything about them though)

9.5” STREET AND STRIP LOCK UP CONVERTER #24RC/HPSSLU $449.00
      This converter is designed for high performance street and dragstrip applications. It is custom built for each application to any stall speed between 2800 and 3800 rpms with engines producing up to 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque.Its unique design makes it more efficient in the lower rpm ranges when cruising making it a true dual purpose converter The converter is assembled with a heavy duty lock up clutch, oversize needle bearings, furnace brazed fins, a hardened pump drive hub,and billet turbine hub. This converter is not designed to be locked up at wide open throttle.Please specify application and desired stall speed.

Brad Penn has been getting some decent press -http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.aspx
      Last edited by Beagle; August 7, 2011, 10:46 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HO...5&autoview=sku
        1.75 Hookers angle plug compatible for the Monte.
        thanks, can't wait to know what they cost coated

Brodix indicates a 11.5:1 suggested minimum compression and 3500-7000 for those heads? I was thinking a 288 Comp solid roller, retro fit cam is about 300.00 - [email protected] and .550 lift, but I think it might be a little lazy downstairs. Those are pretty big runners for a 350.
        Free Shipping - COMP Cams Magnum Solid Roller Camshafts with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshafts at Summit Racing.

the 10.2-10.5 was the early 90's thinking with pump gas,higher compression require dome pistons, srp's domes are more than likely the same weight or lighter than those heavy trw's

I'm thinking more converter might be necessary? The buick boys can help you out there with recommendations but I did see this place (don't know anything about them though) ya I think so to

9.5” STREET AND STRIP LOCK UP CONVERTER #24RC/HPSSLU $449.00
        This converter is designed for high performance street and dragstrip applications. It is custom built for each application to any stall speed between 2800 and 3800 rpms with engines producing up to 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque.Its unique design makes it more efficient in the lower rpm ranges when cruising making it a true dual purpose converter The converter is assembled with a heavy duty lock up clutch, oversize needle bearings, furnace brazed fins, a hardened pump drive hub,and billet turbine hub. This converter is not designed to be locked up at wide open throttle.Please specify application and desired stall speed.

Brad Penn has been getting some decent press -http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.aspx
        nice on the headers, could go th400(have) and gearvendors that give me a stronger set up but require floor work,
        maybe o/d overrated HA,
        might try the flat tap. been sitting for 16 years ish, so if a cam goes it be bearing and rings , we'll see if the chevelles move or if I have to list parts one by one..
        hmmm that meand 496 in, c-10..
        guess I better get that ford wagon.. eh

Comment

Stich, how much does the truck weigh? I'm gonna guess around 3800ish...

And how often will it see the tree at Epping?

I'd go with a slightly smaller cam, the deeper rear end gear, and the 200r. If the 200r isn't built yet, think about some Grand Nat parts for it.

Or you could just save the cash, stab in the cam ya got, buy a few quarts of Joe Gibbs or Comp Cams' special sauce to keep in the pan 24-7, and roast them 26"ers all day, every day.
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

lt-1 WAS 64 CC 11:1 MOTOR
            492 HEADS
            Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; August 8, 2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

my 69 camaros new 243/249 .578/.585 Lunati Voodoo Solid Roller at idle.

Comment

The cam is a rough match for the converters, but the heads and bottom end scream for much more cam and converter. A mild roller and a 3000 stall should work fine with N2O.
                Last edited by Orange65; August 8, 2011, 06:00 PM.
                Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  lt-1 WAS 64 CC 11:1 MOTOR
                  492 HEADS
                  71 it was 9 to 1 with 76 cc heads

Comment

there was a dome in 70

Comment

Comment

smaller chambers bigger dishes and baby butt smooth cams make more power today than an LT1... domes had their day in the daily driver sun.

Comment

Hey Mark, it's going in the Monte right? I'd check the Buick guys on the 200. There's got to be an alternative to the bucks up Art Carr stuff.

Frankly, the 350 / GV may be cheaper than building a decent 200. Can you put 4.10's on a 3.73 carrier? I can't remember where it changes. I don't think that setup is gonna like a really big OD ratio... probably load up the plugs like a bitch? Probably get better mpg at a little higher rpm where it's not bogging to death too.
                          Last edited by Beagle; August 9, 2011, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                            yes thats a 70 only piston,
                            mine are flat tops with almost no valve releafs(71-72)
                            Last edited by Stich496; August 9, 2011, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              Hey Mark, it's going in the Monte right? I'd check the Buick guys on the 200. There's got to be an alternative to the bucks up Art Carr stuff.

Frankly, the 350 / GV may be cheaper than building a decent 200. Can you put 4.10's on a 3.73 carrier? I can't remember where it changes. I don't think that setup is gonna like a really big OD ratio... probably load up the plugs like a bitch? Probably get better mpg at a little higher rpm where it's not bogging to death too.
                              more than likely in the monty, and if so.. the 7.5" 3.73 will be pulled and put aside, incase these cars are ever worth good money..
                              I have a few(at least I think they are) chevy 70-72 12 bolts, once I'm ok'd to do things I'm gonna see what I have and see what type of b_tch it be to get one under the monty or get a moser 12 or 9..
                              I have a all new parts 411 9" center with the auburn cone diff (booo) and a complete 79ish ford truck 9" that could be cut down..
                              the 200r4 in it would be put aside too. but I have 2 more.. and 2 th350 and a th400
                              thinking the th350 might go boom with out big $$ same with the 200r4..
                              the th400 is a tci with zero miles, so.. other than it sitting since 1991 (don't ask)
                              Last edited by Stich496; August 9, 2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X