The Car Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Car Show

What's everyones thoughts of SPEED's The Car Show?

We don't get that channel, so I don't have to think about it at all.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I don't like that guy that hosts it.
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

a work in progress ..this hobby needs promotion , since wally parks insurance company drag racing costs too much to take the kids

Comment

not bad but not great
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I watched a few episodes that I had back logged on the DVR the other night. I was midly entertained enough to stick through most of them but not surprisingly there's too much shit about cars I don't care much for...I did enjoy the Pomona and Barris Batmobile segments. Adam makes me laugh, don't care about the bald guy, Dan Neil seems imformative but stiff and Salley adds nothing. DVR is the way to go.
            Time Wasters...
            http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
            http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

@squirrel You can watch the first episode on Hulu

@LORENSWIFE I have to agree Adam Carrola isn't a great host. I think his jokes unnecessary.

@SpiderGearsMan and @Mater I agree.

@Joe Grippo I agree the DVR is the best way to watch tv. It think it was mildly entertaining as well, but I'm not sure if it just my love of TopGear UK that makes any US car show seem dumb. I haven't seen the latest car show but the first seemed like they were trying to hard. Adam is funny but all his jokes seem rehearsed. I don't want a comedian telling me about cars. I would like a real car guy with a sense of humor telling me about cars. That is why I think TopGear UK is so good. They all are car guys that are naturally funny I like Dan he seems intelligent and actually adds to the show. Salley doesn't do anything does he? My favorite host is Matt, he's great on the smoking tire and he's good on this show. If you haven't heard of it you should check out their stuff at TheSmokingTire.com. I think they should drop Salley and Adam for some real car guys. Maybe a driver like vaughn gittin jr? I don't know top gear us and this show are fun but they are not at the TopGear UK standard.

Comment

I've watched a few and I've really enjoyed most of it. I like Adam Corolla and he really is a car guy.
                I don't for the life of me understand why John Salley is there! Dan Neill had a previous show on speed and he really is knowledgable about "mainly" European cars. People seem put off by his pocket square,LOL
                Matt ? seems to be a knowledgable guy, not sure what his background is. How can anyone dislike a show that has Peter Brock or Steve Millen as guests! These guys are legends!
                Last edited by timo; August 8, 2011, 06:42 PM. Reason: pour speeling
                Racing is living, anything before or after is just waiting!!!

Comment

@redcammer I think its just a personal thing against Adam. Matt is from the internet. He started reviewing cars and doing great segments for his website and youtube. Check it out here Brian Johnson is a true car guy!

Comment

Originally posted by imprtslyer View Post
                    I'm not sure if it just my love of TopGear UK that makes any US car show seem dumb.
                    I've seen a few episodes of top gear (uk), it does absolutely nothing for me. But I've also seen a few episodes of a few US tv shows about cars, and they don't do much for me. They're not as bad as TG, but still nothing I'd go to any trouble to watch.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

top gear appeals to the fashionably hip
                      but we see how hard nosed the british are these days cowering from the rioters hip hip

UP ERIN !!!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        I've seen a few episodes of top gear (uk), it does absolutely nothing for me. But I've also seen a few episodes of a few US tv shows about cars, and they don't do much for me. They're not as bad as TG, but still nothing I'd go to any trouble to watch.
                        The UK top gear guys lost any credibility with me after their southern affair here a year or so back. I watched the US version once... click... weather channel was better.

I kinda enjoy Trucks and MuscleCar when they are showing fabrication stuff, but I don't like the formula of anything being built has to have some kind of guitar riff crap playing really loud the whole time. Freiburger and Chad did it too with CJTV - and I didn't care for that either. I suppose I'm boring enough to want to hear what kind of grinder noises are coming out of the body work, or the sound of the tig / mig for comparison purposes.

I don't get Speed any more so I don't see Stacy David or handlebar Dennis or Barry Mcguire any more. Stacy actually had some decent stuff but I can't take his incessant giggling. Two guys garage / shade tree mechanic lost it's original appeal when Dave Bowman left - he offset Sam's grating know it allness.

I can't remember the big guy that used to do Horsepower with Joe Elmore, anybody remember his name? And for the life of me, there was this crazy guy that had about three posts on CJTV that used to do one of the shows that was the first real fabricatorion episodes they showed. Somebody help me remember his name. DAmmmit.

(edit - Chuck Hanson was the big guy. Damned if I can remember the other guy's name I was looking for, I think it was an italian name.. Lou something.... Santiago. Geeebus, that was gonna drive me out of my mind. He is talented. Posted one thread on CJTV and not seen from since.

more edit - did Joe Elmore have a stroke or something? He's sounding almost drunk, but I don't think that is it.)

I used to enjoy DIY Network where the luthier dude (can't remember his name) made instruments or the little dude from Trucks would restore a Vespa or an Airstream or something. I don't get that channel any more either.

Alton Brown stopped making Good Eats and it made me sad. Paul James, the gardener guy, doesn't come on at 10:00 Sunday morning any more so I don't watch that either. The History Channel stopped showing Automobiles on Sunday morning, and they moved Tales of the Gun to history intl or mil. channel, both of which I don't get.

Hell, the only reason I have any of it is for the fiber optic internet connection... but cartoon network is good for Squidbillies, Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Venture Bros., and Robot Chicken when I wake up at 3 a.m. and can't go back to sleep. I guess all is not lost, except my sanity. lol.

There's only so much NCIS and House I can take. I can't find Norm's schedule for New Yankee Workshop, so I guess I just need to go out to the garage.
                        Last edited by Beagle; August 9, 2011, 05:51 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Stacy actually had some decent stuff but I can't take his incessant giggling.
                          I heard that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	856802

Comment

Chuck Hanson has his hands full with ACES the national chevelle club, an chevelleabration(sp?) nation car show..
                            and the bimonthy mag, (I think he still has a big hand in that also)

you can find him on team chevelle from time to time or you can pm him (aces1)
                            Last edited by Stich496; August 9, 2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Adam makes a good car guy... His dry delivery turns most people off... As a host... If anyone remembers the Man Show... The Car Show is the Man Show for cars... Which is why I like it...

Besides, I think it is a bit of an FU to US Top Gear. As Adam was to be one of the hosts in the original NBC pilot.

As to those who who don't like the original Top Gear... I like it for their honesty... Some of their skits are off the mark for Americans... So what? Good content with real fun stuff about cars, all kinds... I think what burns most is that the US version still can not get it right... It is getting better. Just not there yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X