X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

demand in this country has dropped,

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
      Shut down coal and you couldnt afford your power bill.
      well they are try'n to shut it down and the nuke plant in virgina

Comment

the war on coal continues
        we have oceans of oil beneath our feet , but it is illegal to drill for it

Comment

Gas is still $3.88 here for regular, and premium is $4.09 to $4.17 No sign of it dropping, but a dollar increase in crude and it goes up that afternoon but 5 to ten cents. We pay as much as California most of the time, sometimes more.

My power bill is over $200 a month and all that is on it is a couple computers and a fridge, the heat is wood, hot water is propane ($2.60-$3.10/gallon), and we dont have AC.

Food here has always cost more, a gallon of milk is $4-$6 and we have a dairy a few miles away that can and does provide enough milk for the entire UP. They charge us more because they can. Then they wonder why we are a economically depressed and disadvantaged region. A $8 job here is a very good job, how many of you can live on that? I live here because I am retired so to speak.

Relevant:

Other things factor into this, like planned obsolescence. They say if your electronic device lasts just three years, you will still buy another one when that one craps out. Why rust proof cars? If they dont rust away then you wont need to buy another one until much later. Same with running gasoline, the carbon build up in the oil and on surfaces makes your engines wear out faster. If they built things like they did in the 40s and 50s they wouldnt be able to sell anything at the rate they do now. Everything is disposable, one use, and not intended to be reused or recycled.

Hotrodders and gearheads are big on recycling, believe it or not. We keep old cars running that would otherwise be sent for scrap, the energy used to produce them being lost as they need more energy to melt the steel to build something else. Just an observation about us.

Why do you guys think I am working on producing all of this stuff myself and with friends/family? I am tired of getting raped.

Comment

Natural gas engines run very clean - nearly zero combustion chamber / valve deposits and I would imagine that would translate to longer oil change intervals etc. The problem is range, tanks, and pressure. But it's much more realistic and sensible than electrics - by a LONG shot.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
              Other things factor into this, like planned obsolescence. They say if your electronic device lasts just three years, you will still buy another one when that one craps out. Why rust proof cars? If they dont rust away then you wont need to buy another one until much later. Same with running gasoline, the carbon build up in the oil and on surfaces makes your engines wear out faster. If they built things like they did in the 40s and 50s they wouldnt be able to sell anything at the rate they do now. Everything is disposable, one use, and not intended to be reused or recycled.

Hotrodders and gearheads are big on recycling, believe it or not. We keep old cars running that would otherwise be sent for scrap, the energy used to produce them being lost as they need more energy to melt the steel to build something else. Just an observation about us.
              I'll take exception to that. New cars are of an infinitely better quality than they were back in the day. No comparison.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                I'll take exception to that. New cars are of an infinitely better quality than they were back in the day. No comparison.
                agreed, to bad the designers hands are so tied with all the safety/aero regs..
                Last edited by Stich496; August 11, 2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X