Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stich496
    replied
    the beauty of the 366.. is it fits the mold of the truck and also looks like a car big block.. and for 90% of the people that might see the powerplant at a local show. would have no clue it was a tall deck block.. with todays cam's the 366 can make tons of power..
    and if the short deck heads fit (not sure) the 454 peanut ports will really wake it up in ft lb and hp..
    all while looking like it belongs there.. or use a tall deck 427 with the peanuts and no one would have to know..
    if there was ever a car hobby news outlet in house project to have a vendor donate their good to. it be this .. hello GEARVENDERS, JuStSaY'n... so it could run the p/t ..
    I got a set of 454 peanuts to start the sickness aroll'n
    Last edited by Stich496; August 13, 2011, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    4BT and sequential turbos. They are animals with 50 pounds of boost. Pffft.

I see the six staying in it.

Leave a comment:

• nesabo
    replied
    my brother bought a big 70's GMC off of Dean Dairy. It had a 366 in it. he used it for 5 yrs and sold it to a logging company. Last i knew it was still lugging timber.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    Oh man, a 4 or 6V53 would be supreme, although probably out of my current realm of driveway swap.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied
    My father had a 366 ini one of his soda trucks, If I was gong to go through the work of swapping engines I'd lok at something different like a diesel. My Grandfathere had a GMC like that wrecker with a Detroit 6 in it.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Diesel? Different, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    I think I have been pegged as a straight six freak or something due to the fact that I rehabbed the one in Goliath when I got it. For whatever stupid reason I'm hooked on the old school nature of these trucks. I kind of revel in the fact that they can only go 60 and take a while to get there. I like thinking about how I am driving the thing the way the first dude who had it did in 1966 (or in the case of the wrecker 1968 ). It would be cool to stick a rat motor in the truck, especially a workaday 366. It just fits the yeoman nature of the thing.

I have no aversion to fast stuff, that is fo sho, but like I was saying to my wife tonight, I could stand in front of a room and ask who has ridden in a 1969 Camaro before and 50 people would raise their hands. The same question could be posed for my '66 C50 or the '68 wrecker and it would probably result in no hands up. THAT's what I dig. I rolled into a 2,000 car cruise night last week knowing full well that I'd be the only one of me there and that kicked some ass. Same will go for the wrecker.

Dare to be weird?
    the setup you are buying really is a purpose built all together. I would like to see that again.

the 366 is huge, not in hot rod way... that is why that wrecker got a six and still works.

I like that stuff. I did start off in trucking when turbo was something exotic...more n/a than anything. there is power realm forgotten. Even my little boxer has it.

it is not weird at all to stick to what you got going...quite historical.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    I think I have been pegged as a straight six freak or something due to the fact that I rehabbed the one in Goliath when I got it. For whatever stupid reason I'm hooked on the old school nature of these trucks. I kind of revel in the fact that they can only go 60 and take a while to get there. I like thinking about how I am driving the thing the way the first dude who had it did in 1966 (or in the case of the wrecker 1968 ). It would be cool to stick a rat motor in the truck, especially a workaday 366. It just fits the yeoman nature of the thing.

I have no aversion to fast stuff, that is fo sho, but like I was saying to my wife tonight, I could stand in front of a room and ask who has ridden in a 1969 Camaro before and 50 people would raise their hands. The same question could be posed for my '66 C50 or the '68 wrecker and it would probably result in no hands up. THAT's what I dig. I rolled into a 2,000 car cruise night last week knowing full well that I'd be the only one of me there and that kicked some ass. Same will go for the wrecker.

Dare to be weird?
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; August 12, 2011, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deckofficer
    replied
    Mine is a 383 stroker sbc, it would almost disappear in your engine bay. The stock six is torquey down low, and with 7 main bearings, the bottom end is rather bullet-proof.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    I'm not looking for spit, but these guys are a bunch of enabling lunatics who want me to swap out the "buzzin' half dozen" for a big block. The gall!

Nik, it'll be three weeks before the truck comes home. I'll need a little more time after that before I start buying motors. HA!

Although, I am super pumped to spin one of the booms out to the side and lower a motor into my basement. It will be a proud moment!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• deckofficer
    replied
    Boy am I redfaced. This should teach me to read the entire thread before posting. 1st, I had no idea you were even looking for an engine, and 2nd, didn't know you had one lined up. My bad, oops.

Next winter's project is either EFI for this engine or go back to a more conventional hp engine, and then of course I would be looking to sell it. I jumped the gun when I saw the mass of your new wrecker and thought what a good home for my little torquey stroker. Not to mention I would love hearing your comments on the low rpm torque and smoothness of this engine in that wrecker. With peak torque at 2800 and the way you are geared, I would think with this motor you could tow steady state even in rolling terrain, a large motorhome behind the wrecker at 50 mph.
    Last edited by deckofficer; August 12, 2011, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nik
    replied
    Brian,
    If you need me to go check the engine out, let me know and I'll mosey on over there. I've got a wooden engine cradle that I could strap to a pallet and then shrink wrap and send it out your way.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    The gear ratio with the transmission in first (7:1) and the rear end gear (7.20:1) is 50.4:1. With traction and that engine, I'd bet a pile of cash on daylight under the front tires (if only for a second!)

Since this thing will go 55 tops @ about 3K, your torque monster would be the ticket, but the idea of the 366 is strangely appealing to me.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• deckofficer
    replied
    Not with the weight of your new wrecker. But having "diesel" torque in a sbc would be rather unique in the wrecker.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    Wheelstands, here we come!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X