No announcement yet.

Yeah...soo.....I just committed myself to buying this wrecker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice score! Would love to hook up with you guys, but in 3 weeks, I'll be in Maryland checking out an epic drag car collection! I see that it's in Salamanca, NY, not Buffalo, I doubt you would want to go through Buffalo to get it as you'd be going out of your way. Still would have been worth the trip to meet you guys... maybe next time!

Comment

Brian, please please please paint that new thing green with a white roof.
      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
        Brian, please please please paint that new thing green with a white roof.
        reverse is more likely as the roof is more than likely in need of paint..

Comment

That thing is awesome. If you ever get tired of it... I just looked at a C50 dump truck sunday but that wrecker is so much cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
            all those workhorses setup to haul with gasoline do not come shining through in glory until loaded. they even have a 283 that hauled heavy. The 292 in those years will never idle nice.. like a locomotive when working.

the 366 is a nice one. One could pep it up to 396 like in air fuel.. just have to understand the engine.
            I leanred it hauling logs wiht my neighbor. pull in over 10000 pounds on a gas v8. Amazing sounds...maine hilly roads to get to the mill.
            My dad used to do that. Always tells me horror stories of driving overloaded pulp trucks up hills and having to use pretty much every gear but granny low to get the job done.

He keeps a cant-dog and a spud in his office to remind that, even a bad day in the office is better than most of the days he had in the woods.

Just because it can do the job, doesn't mean it should.

Comment

stuff a 454 with 366 emblems and be done with it. (or some 427 emblems )
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'm going to keep needling him about a two speed rear or an over drive trans - but I think he's going to keep ignoring me.

Hopefully this 292 will not require the budget rebuild the big G did.

The tow rig looks like it has quite a bit shorter wheel base than big G - should ride - well, if possible... even worse? : )
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It does have a two speed rear.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

and the max speed is still only 55mph?

good Lord - this takes "granny low" to a whole new.... LOW.

Comment

Scott, I was wrong when I spoke to you, this is a single speed like Goliath.
                      Same 7.20 gear....same transmission (roughly, as this is an SM465 and Goliath's is an SM420...the 465 is the "upgraded 420")

John, the trans combo I want is the one I featured in the parting shift last Friday. It is a four speed hooked to a Clark 3-speed auxilliary transmission. No overdrive, but two sticks and I can split gears.

On the wheelbase, I think the photos are deceptive. I think the two trucks are about the same in that department. I'll make sure to get lots of video recording the ride quality.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

yowza - 7.2 - INSANE! but that's how you towed heavy with a 292 back in the day.

I know we've talked about this before and finding gears for these axles is NOT easy. Sure wonder what it would be like with something "normal" like a 4.10!

Comment

They really don't exist. Best you can do is about a 5.80 which is what you get with the 2-speed rear. 5.80 and *I think* 8.20 are the high/low split.

Comment

Ripping around town is pretty fun with the way the truck is geared to be honest. It doesn't make a fool out of itself in traffic and it wants to live at like 45mph.

Comment

so - to long haul this thing you need an Eaton road ranger 10 speed or some such big rig monster gear box to make due with that axle.
                              Lordy - she's a round town wonder which is just fine!
                              Can't wait to hear about neighbor reactions to this beast!

Any updates on a garage at the BS East HQ or is that a mute point with 'hood regulations?

Comment

Nope, the saving continues. I should have enough for the foundation by the end of the fall and since my dad owns and operates a business that lives on 2x4s and plywood, my cost there is going to be very, very small

Building regs in town are not too bad. Building has to look similar to the house, no problem there. I have the room to put it where I want it according to the lot lines, etc. All I be needin' is the cash and there will be a building with room for a couple of wreckers in it on my property!
                                Last edited by Brian Lohnes; August 11, 2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X