Yeah...soo.....I just committed myself to buying this wrecker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    I think I have been pegged as a straight six freak or something due to the fact that I rehabbed the one in Goliath when I got it. For whatever stupid reason I'm hooked on the old school nature of these trucks. I kind of revel in the fact that they can only go 60 and take a while to get there. I like thinking about how I am driving the thing the way the first dude who had it did in 1966 (or in the case of the wrecker 1968 ). It would be cool to stick a rat motor in the truck, especially a workaday 366. It just fits the yeoman nature of the thing.

I have no aversion to fast stuff, that is fo sho, but like I was saying to my wife tonight, I could stand in front of a room and ask who has ridden in a 1969 Camaro before and 50 people would raise their hands. The same question could be posed for my '66 C50 or the '68 wrecker and it would probably result in no hands up. THAT's what I dig. I rolled into a 2,000 car cruise night last week knowing full well that I'd be the only one of me there and that kicked some ass. Same will go for the wrecker.

Dare to be weird?
    the setup you are buying really is a purpose built all together. I would like to see that again.

the 366 is huge, not in hot rod way... that is why that wrecker got a six and still works.

I like that stuff. I did start off in trucking when turbo was something exotic...more n/a than anything. there is power realm forgotten. Even my little boxer has it.

it is not weird at all to stick to what you got going...quite historical.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Diesel? Different, for sure.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• My father had a 366 ini one of his soda trucks, If I was gong to go through the work of swapping engines I'd lok at something different like a diesel. My Grandfathere had a GMC like that wrecker with a Detroit 6 in it.

Comment

• Oh man, a 4 or 6V53 would be supreme, although probably out of my current realm of driveway swap.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• my brother bought a big 70's GMC off of Dean Dairy. It had a 366 in it. he used it for 5 yrs and sold it to a logging company. Last i knew it was still lugging timber.
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

• 4BT and sequential turbos. They are animals with 50 pounds of boost. Pffft.

I see the six staying in it.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• the beauty of the 366.. is it fits the mold of the truck and also looks like a car big block.. and for 90% of the people that might see the powerplant at a local show. would have no clue it was a tall deck block.. with todays cam's the 366 can make tons of power..
                and if the short deck heads fit (not sure) the 454 peanut ports will really wake it up in ft lb and hp..
                all while looking like it belongs there.. or use a tall deck 427 with the peanuts and no one would have to know..
                if there was ever a car hobby news outlet in house project to have a vendor donate their good to. it be this .. hello GEARVENDERS, JuStSaY'n... so it could run the p/t ..
                I got a set of 454 peanuts to start the sickness aroll'n
                Last edited by Stich496; August 13, 2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Put a real truck motor in there

a 348

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    Put a real truck motor in there

a 348

tow trucks can't tow when broken down.. ;)

Comment

• Here's something worth mentioning. Although we all hate seeing Goliath leave, note that she'll be leaving Brian's care in better shape than when he got it. In a sense, Goliath was Bangshift's first "project truck". New floor boards were installed, a dirtball rebuild was done with the engine in the truck right in the driveway, electrical gremlins were fixed, and numerous other things were done that brought her back to life. The really cool part is we were along for the ride. We sent parts, gave advice, and cheered Brian on as we watched the truck grow to what it is today. What's really special is the memories that were made. Brian got to share this with his boys, and his Dad. Friends, you can't buy something like that, and that's what makes our hobby so special.

I just hope the next person can appreciate what Goliath has meant to so many people, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter with this new tow rig.
                      Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                        I think I have been pegged as a straight six freak or something due to the fact that I rehabbed the one in Goliath when I got it. For whatever stupid reason I'm hooked on the old school nature of these trucks. I kind of revel in the fact that they can only go 60 and take a while to get there. I like thinking about how I am driving the thing the way the first dude who had it did in 1966 (or in the case of the wrecker 1968 ). It would be cool to stick a rat motor in the truck, especially a workaday 366. It just fits the yeoman nature of the thing.

Dare to be weird?
                        You're right....my "Lohnes hard-on for six's" comment was not correct. I should have said "Lohnes hard-on for a period correct big truck vibe, might kill a chance for a V8 swap".
                        I will admit it would be a lot of expense to just make it sound cooler. Plus the height of the engine bay would make a swap a major pain in the ass..... And if a 366 won't show a substantial gain....it might not be worth it.

The reason the 366 has the hook for me, is the potential for DIRT cheap. There are a bunch of idiots that think they are worth bucks....but everything I've seen has been, unless you need a replacement in your old delivery truck or bus, nobody wants them. I mean, how many old buses are laying around that a 366 could get snagged out of? Plus it would fit the truck.
                        But then again, my youthful memories of cruising in a gas V8 C70 barking out duals under load taints my vision of this truck for sure!

I love the thought of this truck getting used. Goliath was cool from the huge factor. But huge, slow and uh, huge with a function, is way better IMO. Although, is it legal for you to tow stuff with it? Does it have to be permitted for that, or some other crap? I would assume as long as you weren't doing it as a business it doesn't matter?

Does kind of suck that the Big G is leaving, now its so straight that you can cruise it reliably. I hope the new ride doesn't require too much remedial repairs.... I'm assuming you bought this sight unseen?

Oh, will the BIG tires even fit under it? Goliath seems much taller than the Tow for some reason..... Maybe you'll need to lift it?
                        Speaking of which......there is a local tow truck, very similar to yours, that looks factory lifted and 4x4. If I think of it, I'll snap some pics. Its pretty cool looking!

Dare to be weird? Absolutely!! Bring it on! (hopefully with a 366 swap!)
                        Last edited by andy30thz; August 13, 2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• is it legal for you to tow stuff with it? Does it have to be permitted for that, or some other crap? I would assume as long as you weren't doing it as a business it doesn't matter?

I think not for hire on the truck is all thats needed

Comment

• This is NOT the 4x4 wrecker I wanted to show you.... They must have moved it to another location. Its really nice with the normal boom setup.
                            This one is kind of a cobbled up beater.... But still cool.

Last edited by andy30thz; August 13, 2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Brian,

While at Hot August Nights in Reno, I thought of you when I came across this..........

sigpic
                              Bob
                              516 lb/ft @ 2800
                              Short shift, its fun

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

Comment

• Neato!

Judging by the wheels, it looks to be sitting on a modern chassis. Cool truck.
                                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                                X