New additions to the family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tedly View Post
    Yeah, the rust monster is eating away at this one too. The rocker panels are worse than they look in the pic, it's started on the doors, and the rear shock towers are getting pretty bad. Objectively, it's not worth saving. It's an $1100 base model TBird from a non-desireable year that will never be worth much to anyone else. I would drive for a few years then unload if it weren't for the family history. I'm going to put the old girl through one more winter, pick up a good welder and teach myself how to weld, then start on it next spring/summer. It's a gorgeous car that has always gotten a lot of compliments, I think when I lower it a couple of inches, put on some chrome 18" Cobra R rims, and tint the windows it will look pretty damn sweet. I'm still geeked about having a good car with potential right now though and will enjoy the hell out of it until it's time to tear into it.
    drill a few holes in rockers (unless there are already plugs) heat up some wheel bearing grease/ oil mix and spray it into the rockers..
    cheap/easy/and works..

Comment

I like it, except for the 3.8...I HATE those motors. Cooling-related issues out the yang. I'd build either a 3v 4.6 or get the 331ci block for a bigger Mod motor...
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

One of my all time favorites - an excellent long haul car, very comfy and one of the best aerodynamic bodies ever.

Fix the rust, the upgrades from there are endless.

Find a wrecked MK8 and you could have a field day swapping everything over - upgraded interior, 32V 4.6, wiring, etc.... would be a good way to go if you want to improve road manners without killing the budget - allot of those MK8s have been just about given away because fixing the air ride costs so much.

If you want to turn it into a street strip car - sure - pull the whole power train and put nasty stroked W in there with a trans braked C4, then remove the IRS and replace with 9" or fortified 8.8.... If you're going to drive it more - I would stick with the EFI modular - as much as I love pushrods, I'd leave a modular car a modular car.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

LS1 would slide right in there

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            LS1 would slide right in there
            That's been swirling in my head too. Think I'm going to go with Ford power though. If I do anything just to mess with people It'll be the turbo 2.3. She's a portly girl and something about using a 4 cylinder in there is just... wrong! I've been needing a V8 fix something serious though so I don't think I'll go that route. Toyed with the idea of a diesel setup for a minute but It would just be wrong for what I want from the car.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              One of my all time favorites - an excellent long haul car, very comfy and one of the best aerodynamic bodies ever.

Fix the rust, the upgrades from there are endless.

Find a wrecked MK8 and you could have a field day swapping everything over - upgraded interior, 32V 4.6, wiring, etc.... would be a good way to go if you want to improve road manners without killing the budget - allot of those MK8s have been just about given away because fixing the air ride costs so much.

If you want to turn it into a street strip car - sure - pull the whole power train and put nasty stroked W in there with a trans braked C4, then remove the IRS and replace with 9" or fortified 8.8.... If you're going to drive it more - I would stick with the EFI modular - as much as I love pushrods, I'd leave a modular car a modular car.
              It is damn comfy and roomy as hell inside! That's why I'm wanting to keep all the creature comforts, it'd be a shame to waste them. It will be driven often and everywhere so I think I'll keep the IRS or upgrade it to a bigger one.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
              X