Ok fellas, I need a diagnosis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok fellas, I need a diagnosis...

Hopefully someone can tell me WTF could be wrong with my truck. There's a screeching/chirping noise coming from my rear passenger wheel. Now, Firestone told me I needed new brakes, but these are less than 2 years old and I haven't been having any problems with them. Since that day, this annoying as hell noise has started. My uncle, who's a mechanic, can't hear it and has told me I'm paranoid and crazy, which is debatable , but mama can hear it. It's not the brakes because it does it when I'm just driving down the road, not when I'm stopping, and it's not the belts because both of those were replaced last week. Bryan gets here Tuesday and we have a LOT of driving to do in the next 2 weeks, so I'd like to not spend that in a screeching truck. Soooo....any ideas/suggestions/questions?
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Your muffler bearings are bad. Seriously though, is it constant or does it come and go?
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Checked wheel bearings?
      sigpic
      Bob
      516 lb/ft @ 2800
      Short shift, its fun

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

Comment

possible e-brake shoes? did you check them when you did the brakes before. another thing i have seen on a few trucks is a caliper bolt coming loose and alowing the caliper to shift slightly. no guarantee, just a couple of things on the top of my head.

Comment

We'll just take her Mustang...
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

axle seals
            trailblazers do that on the front wheels
            of course
            RUSTED OUT BACKING PLATES AND PARKING BRAKE
            EASY JOB

Comment

is this right?

You didn't have any noise problems with the brakes before they were worked on two years ago. That's when the noise started. The noise occurs all the time. It's a faint, high pitched chirping noise.

This is on a mid 2000s full size chevy truck with disk rear brakes

is that right?
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

after 2005 we went to drum brakes for that very reason

4 wheel discs are overrated

Comment

Correct, a '06 Silverado SS if I'm correct.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I drove my wife's "old new truck" 99 silverado last night, it's up to 227k miles on the original disk brake pads and rotors, and there's still a lot of life left in them. Strange.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      after 2005 we went to drum brakes for that very reason

4 wheel discs are overrated
                      But then most people with them get way over 100,000 miles on the original brake pads.......

Comment

A little more for diagnosis:

It is not a speed-sensitive noise. It's a constant "squeek-squeek" that has no change with speed. Wondering if it's suspension-related.

Comment

Check the heat shields for the exhaust system........one of them could be loose......

Comment

check for something stupid like a loose box side support or something that would allow the box to shift or metal to metal rubbing. an exhaust heat shield is another real possibility.

Comment

This noise didn't start until a few weeks ago. It had been very faint until I took it in to get everything rotated, balanced and the front end aligned. That was when the guys at Firestone told me I needed new brakes. After that it started getting really bad and was constant. It's a 2005 Super Sport with AWD and I believe disc brakes all the way around. Honestly, I don't know much about my truck. Unlike the Mustang, I can't just crawl under it and start taking things apart. There's some small rust spots on the rotor (I think that's what it is...it's the disc the caliper is attached to) so I don't know if that's part of it or not. All I know is it's driving me crazy and I'd rather drive the Mustang and be high on exhaust fumes than listen to the screeching.
                              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Working...
                              X