No announcement yet.

Ok fellas, I need a diagnosis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pads could be down to the indicators and they will squeal going down the road, best thing to do is determine which wheel the sound is coming from and take the tire off and see what the pads look like......And while your at it make sure all the lug nuts are tight.......
    Last edited by TC; August 14, 2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

a rock(pebble) stuck in the brake pad/shoe ..

Comment

not on half ton suburbans

Comment

Just a thought , what about the U joints? hope you find it!

Comment

Strange that it wasn't there until the Firestone folks played with it.... can you push on the truck and make the noise when it's parked?
            Push on the bumper, lift up on the wheel well lip - move the truck around - if you hear the squeak then - it's not rotationally dependant.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
              Just a thought , what about the U joints? hope you find it!
              that be a low speed weep weep weep noise

Comment

Maybe the shop guy tied the caliper up with a piece of wire and left it hanging after he reinstalled........
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

did they say it needs new back or new front brakes? Usually, the fronts go first because that is where all the weight is. They do most of the work. If it's the back ones and they squeal eeeee constantly until you hit the brakes, it's probably the wear indicator rubbing the rotor, and they are supposed to irritate the shit out of you to get your attention and tell you it's time for brakes.

If you look at the caliper / rotor / pad from both front and back you'll see an out of place looking piece of metal, and if it's rubbing the disc, it'll squeal but shut up when you put the brakes on if it has just started touching (sometimes, been my experience anyway)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.aspx?q=1035797334944&id=0e6f4068f396e8750acf0c94980346fb&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.allpar.c.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	857116

generic picture, you'rs may be on the front or back edge. I've also had them squeak when the outboard pad was not glued to the caliper or it's spring clip that's supposed to hold it still is missing or weak and won't hold the outboard pad still against the caliper. I've had them squeal when the caliper pins were rusty or dirty, it would hold the pads lightly against the rotor.

If it's squealing and not grinding, it wants some attention. If it's grinding at all it's Demanding attention.
                  Last edited by Beagle; August 15, 2011, 04:48 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

When they took me in the bay to explain it they showed me the rear brakes, specifically the one that's making noise now. I guess it could be the brakes considering how many miles I've put on it in the last 2 years and how much salt ended up on my truck this winter. Looks like Bryan has a project this week
                    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

UPDATE: After several trips to AutoZone and pulling the wheels off a couple times it was determined that one rotor was warped and rusting and I had no ceramic left on my rear brake pads, so the squealer thing was causing all the noise. Had my uncle not been so arrogant and told me I was paranoid and there was NO WAY I needed new brakes (because he couldn't hear the noise), this all could've been fixed weeks ago. Thanks for all the suggestions; luckily it was something this simple.
                      Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Glad you got it fixed.Just wondering why the folks at the first s
                        hop did not show you the worn out shoes in the first place and then you could have made a much more informed choice.
                        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X