Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Rod Special - Sets Record With 2 Cylinders !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Magazine on FaceBook
    12:00 Bonneville Time
    Done! We backed up our 32 mph Bonneville record in the two-banger Camaro. It is about to get wrecked by a Studebaker, but we pushed on. Never give up!
    Way to go guys !!!

Comment

• Hot Rod Magazine on FaceBook
      Done! We backed up our 32 mph Bonneville record in the two-banger Camaro. It is about to get wrecked by a Studebaker, but we pushed on. Never give up!

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
      Hot Rod Magazine on FaceBook

Way to go guys !!!

Wrecked? The record or the Camaro?
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; August 18, 2011, 11:48 AM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• okay, someone translate the record they own (albeit potentially temporarily).... I get the "blown" and "coupe" but what is the rest?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          Wrecked? The record or the Camaro?
          Ed, David is just saying that the Studebaker is going to break their record ... by allot !

Comment

• F Classic Blown Fuel Altered

classic is 1980 or older, blown, fuel is anything besides the spec gasoline they sell at the event.

altered...I think the rear spoiler makes it an altered
            Last edited by squirrel; August 18, 2011, 01:33 PM.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post
              Guys.... sorry I'm just now getting here and don't have time to read this morning..... BUT DAMN IT MAN... this is easily the most fun I've ever had a Bville..... Freaking absolutely stupidly crazy ass FUN....

We run in about an hour

Life Rocks... Pure and simple...

K
              go get em turk

Comment

• So here's the quick and dirty scoop...... Frieburger and I decide we're going for the slow to fast, roll on, push followed by a Hard HARD ass push if the first fails us..... and Fail it did.... so he banged it down into first to see if he could get the RPM back and the answer was a clear NOPE........... So I banged into him Hard like 14 mo fo's.... and Pushed him again like a dump truck hitting the little old lady in her Galaxy....... Seriously I hit and pushed him so hard I broke the push bar and banged into the rear bumper.... ( we're Racing .... Hello. )......

He actually accerated for a minute there until it started smoking like a 442 locomotive... Seems the header on the right didn't like Oil from the valve cover gasket .... ( the motor didn't seem to vibrate to bad according to David )....

He ran and ran.... finally passing the timed mile and turning out to arrive as we did on the return road..... ( seems he kept it at full throttle as he left the course!!! )

Life is good..... even if the Hudson boys beat our record right after us....with a 130mph record or so....

Comment

• Hey Keith, would it run harder if you yanked all the unused rods/pistons and just put collars over the journals to keep oil pressure?

No parasitic losses that way...

Hey, what were the Hudson boys running for a motor?
                  Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

• The Hudson Boys were running a destroked Studebaker V8. No foolin'. I forget the actual displacement but it met class rules. It was a sweet little motor - not that Keith's wasn't! (I think I have the right car here. You see SO many in tech).

Dan

Comment

• Actually, the other car in the class was the Hudson Boys, but they had a Mercruiser/Chevy II four-banger destroked with an Eaton blower and a nitrous unit. It looks like they decided not to qualify in the Fuel category so that we could keep our measly record. They did get the record in the Gas class. Skip Carlson (with the Stude) was a true sportsman and a gentleman the whole way and very, very cool to let us play even though he brought a real race car and we did not.

Comment

• Thanks for the correction, David. I had the wrong Stude in mind. Skip's Mercruiser set up was VERY interesting and it's part of what I love about LSR - you never know WTH is going to show up. Not that a 2 cylinder BBC is common. Although there WAS a 4 cylinder BBC (in a Monza).....

The Stude powered Stude was running +/-165 CID (IIRC) and was also a pretty decent race car. Saw him in impound as well.

Dan

Comment

• At Speed Week 2011, the HOT ROD/So-Al Racing team killed a few pistons on the very first run when the blown big-block swallowed a carb vent tube. We gave up ...

Comment

• so how much rpm did it turn?
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

• 4000 or so.... it really needed the kick in it's ass to get up and run on it's own...

Comment

• It came alive up on the cam, eh?

So whats next Keith?

Comment

Working...
                                X