Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Rod Special - Sets Record With 2 Cylinders !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    No rod, no piston, no oil pressure.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    What color hat do you get when you break a record over 25 mph?

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    balance would be all screwed up.

Leave a comment:

• Caveman Tony
    replied
    Why not just yank the rod/piston outta each unused cylinder?

No excess pumping losses, no friction drag, no bomb in the intake/exhaust...

Hope its got a good harmonic balancer.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    they posted on fb that they're on the way to the starting line with the 2 cyl camaro

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    With a file and a 1/2" craftsman drill!!!!

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I"m sure someone out there has the ability to make a custom cam blank, and grind it, at night in their hotel room....there's a lot of ability out there on the salt this week!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    Too bad they can't configure it to use the remaining cylinders to supercharge the two firing ones!
    get the cam ground with 2 lobes making a 2 cycle so you dont have the waisted "compression and power strokes"

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    EFI would be way easier. All the tabs except two were pulled off the distributor reluctor and only two wires are hooked up. The headers point downwards plus air flow at speed will help pull fuel out. And the carb shouldn't need much more than the secondaries disabled for air flow. It'll pull less fuel with pulling less air.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Leaving the plugs out and the valves as normal pumps fuel / air out the plug holes onto the headers, engine compartment - etc - creating a fire hazard, but it would certainly prevent any compression from building up in those 6!

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    Also wouldn't leaving the exhaust valve open allow the motor to pull from both the exhaust and intake on the intake stoke, thus creating a backfire potential??

I think the best thing would be to leave the spark plugs out, and leave the valves alone........

Also if the motor has a Rev Kit they could just pull the rockers on those cylinder and leave the plugs out......The Rev Kit will keep the lifters where they need to be........
    Last edited by TC; August 16, 2011, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Yup - it would be much easier with port EFI.

The intake reversion will be way weird.

If not for loosing oil pressure from shoving the lifters out of the bores - it would be better to keep the intakes closed, and hang the exhausts open. If the intakes stayed closed there would be no fuel / air pulled into the cylinders to be pushed out creating huge backfire potential in the exhaust, and thereby a fire hazard.

This will be fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    Ok there is lot more to this than meets the eye. for one they are only going to run it on 2 cylinders which means the air flow through the motor will drastically change, the carb will need to be leaned out big time..... I would take it that they are only going to be able to have sparkplug wires on two of the plugs or the idea of running on two cylinders could be disputed........Then the idea of adjusting the exhaust valves to stay open and allowing the intake to work as normal can cause excess fuel/fuel vapor to build up in the exhaust system, effectively creating a bomb situation........Remember your going to have 6 cylinders dumping raw fuel into the exhaust system, you get enough in there and bam!!!! Just think what Brian's muffler looked like........

Saying that I hope they get it going and get a record, I just don't want anyone getting hurt........
    Last edited by TC; August 16, 2011, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    Chad said that they're close a little while ago when I talked to him.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    neat, hope it works. Have they got it running yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X