I just got back in town ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got back in town ...

I just got home from teaching and getting certified as a driving instructor over on the western slope.

For those that don't know, the western slope in Colorado is basically everything west of the continental divide; Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Montrose, Delta and so forth. A guy that I used to work with on the PD called me up a few months ago. He moved over there several years ago and opened The Western Slope Driving Institute in Montrose, Delta, Junction and Glenwood. He has been super successful with it and wants to expand into the Denver market. So I spent last week over there learning the curriculum and getting certified to teach, i still have to take a class with the state at the end of Sept to make it official.

He originally wanted me to start up and run a school over here in the metro area, but as I explored the western slope and realized how laid back and small townish it is over there, he threw out the option of me taking over two of the schools there if I wanted to move over there (he has been wanting to get back to Denver himself).

So after many discussions with Michelle and the kids, we are thinking there is a move in our not so distant future (spring 2012). We really like the Montrose/Delta area and property value over there would allow me to upgrade to something with about 10 acres with no immediate neighbors and a house comparable to what we have now, basically for what we have tied up in our current house.

Looking around over there, there are two circle tracks (1 paved & 1 dirt), a 1/4 mile dragstrip, and all the 4 wheeling/rock crawling a guy like me could stand all within an hour's drive. Plus I'd be roughly 2 1/2 hours from Moab!

I'm pretty stoked about this ....just thought I'd share with my BS family.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Man, that sounds like an awesome opportunity, especially if your wife and kids are on board.

The location sounds like my personal heaven.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

very cool
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The company I work for has a factory in Montrose...it's one of my favorite parts of Colorado too.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The kids are a little iffy, but it's not like their social life is overflowing as it is.

We were sitting out on his deck saturday night. Mike turns to me and says "you here that"? (now Mike lives basically in the center of town/Montrose) and I say "I don't hear anything". He laughs and says "exactly"!....Didn't hear a single siren, no loud bump and thump stereos, and generally everyone says hi and will engage each other in friendly conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
            The company I work for has a factory in Montrose...it's one of my favorite parts of Colorado too.
            Which one? I know See's candy has a huge factory there.
            Last edited by Bamfster; August 15, 2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Russell Stover.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                Russell Stover.

Yup ... saw that one too.

And let me tell you, it was a blast teaching those kids. It's awesome seeing the light bulb come on for the 1st time when they finally get what your teaching them ....

Comment

Here are a few pics I took when I was over there ... just found them on my camera:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	857370

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	857371

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	857372

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	857373

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	857374

Comment

they still have driving school,, WHY. the car overrides anything you do.. brakes, abs takes over, yawn control, stable control..
                    traction control..
                    goods luck with it..

Comment

Man I'm jealous.......that's a great area.

Congrats!
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

i miss scenery like that, F this god forsaken flat land I live on now
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

What kind of driving instruction?
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

CO state law requires all new drivers (14.5 years to 18 yrs) to have a minimum of 32 hours classroom, and 6 hours behind the wheel w/ a state certified instructor ... so that's the target group.

We also do the court ordered defensive driving courses and a state certified drive test so the customer doesn't have to wait in line at, and deal with the DMV to do their road test.

Comment

had the opportunity to go work on GMC in wyoming , visited and got the tour

no thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X