Lot my pup yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lot my pup yesterday

I am like many of you here who love thier dogs...yesterday I lost my pup Tatum.....heartbreaking. I will let this letter I wrote to the animal rescue tell the story...

I am writing this letter on behalf of my family in hopes that someone somewhere gets it and forwards it to the appropriate people within your organization.

My name is Joe Haber, father of Tatum, a 9 month old blond golden. Tatum (or bubby as I called him) was a wonderful dog with energy to spare and endless love to give. He was smart as a whip and was as sweet and gentle as any dog I have ever know.

Tatum was an “eater”, he ate socks, underwear and anything else he could fit down his throat. He also had a heart murmur so we had a feeling that Tatum’s time with us might be short. We had to have a surgery performed not long ago to remove a bowel obstruction from which he recovered fully. We brought him home and made every effort to curb this behavior but it appears as though it was not enough. He got into something and ended up with yet another obstruction. We could not afford the cost of the operation and with only $1500 available from Care Credit I had few options. I decided to get a second opinion from my regular vet and I also made a desperate call to your organization. It was not long before I received a return call.
    DJ was the first to contact me and soon after I spoke with Scotty (Chief Scotty). They were truly wonderful and they did everything they could to help me so that we could either keep Tatum or turn him over so that at the very least, he could live. Scotty came to the vet and sat with us, her concern for our Tatum was obvious from the start. She coordinated for some time with DJ and we hatched a plan to take him to a vet they could deal with, get him his care and then figure out where he was going to go afterwards. Unfortunately during transportation back to the first clinic Tatum took a turn of the worse and due to complications from the obstruction Tatum would never fully recover. He would never come home with me to see his family again, play with his big sister Brandi nor would he be able to be enjoyed and loved by another family. I had to have him put down to end his suffering. It was heartbreaking as I am sure many of you know. I also have to mention that Scotty stayed with me until the end…not something that I expected from a stranger who did not know us from Adam.
    The lengths that you all went to yesterday really warmed my hear. Your kindness, generosity and understanding will never be forgotten. I am a mechanic in the USAF, and words like this do not come easy for a guy like me. Actions like yours are not the “norm” today, total strangers working to save someone’s pet, sitting with them, sharing their pain and grief…you all are good people. I hope that you all understand that your organization provides an amazing service to animal lovers of this state and I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for the time and love you gave to my family and our Tatum yesterday

Thank you, and god bless

Sincerely,

Joe, Carmen, Kali, Joey, Jason and Brandi Haber.

Tucson Az.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; August 15, 2011, 12:16 PM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

That's tough Joe. I know it wasn't too long ago I read your post about the new kid in the house. Here's to ya in your tough time.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Very sorry to hear about this Joe. You wrote them a wonderful thank you letter and I'm sure they'll remember why they do what they do.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

That's just heartbreaking Joe. I'm so sorry to hear that your friend is no longer with us.
        I'm going to have to go give the big dummy a hug now.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I know how hard it is to keep them from tasting everything.... I'm so sorry for your loss.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I find it hard to write thoughts. I can write a paper or operating instructions or operating plans and such..but when it comes to putting real thoughts down...well...i tend to ramble. I hope that I was able toa rticulate what I was thinking in a professional manner.

Thanks all, I know many of you can relate to how I feel today...so many here are dog lovers too...I am really gonna miss this guy....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

i know that all too well. i lost my partner in crime back in april. sam, a dalmation. he to owas an eater, loved to eat stuff. aside from caging him and muzling him, it was nearly impossible to keep him from eating somethign somewhere. a few years ago we had a corn cob removed from his intestine and he recovered great. recently he got in the trash and had a baby diaper and aluminum foil do him in. they did the surgery but they felt there was a huige chance of infection once they realized what the blockage was. he lived a few days after but didnt recover and died at the vet. it broke my heart. i couldnt wait for the spring to take him surf fishing with me. while he was in the vet, i was petting my other guy and found some lumps in his neck. i couldnt take another bad vet visit jsut yet so i gave it a few days, he wound up having lymphoma. put him on meds to make him more comfy. he lived right up until the day before we left for power tour. both were recued dalmations. they were freaking awsome dogs. we'll rescue another dog, maybe in a few months. not really ready just yet.

Comment

Thats rough to lose them back to abck like that...I lost my my black lab early 2008 my Collie of 16 years in October, and now this guy. I am done...I can't take the hear break anymore. I dont feel this bad when people I know pass...I dont know what it is...a disconnect? a emotional flaw?...whatever it is...I just cant do it anymore. I tried to do everything I could for him..I failed him...

Comment

Know what you're going through.

We lost ours last year....she was with us 16 years....great company
                  for my wife when I travel.

For the longest time I would still hear for her when I came back
                  off the road.

Times your best friend.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    Know what you're going through.

We lost ours last year....she was with us 16 years....great company
                    for my wife when I travel.

For the longest time I would still hear for her when I came back
                    off the road.

Times your best friend.
                    Monk, I went home for lunch today...first time I was not greated with a Dino like greeting since we brought him home...I had to leave, went out to lunch...kids are gone at school now...the house was empty...Time heals all wounds I know...I found myself listening for him to come charging at me...

Comment

i know what you mean. after losing sam, my wife wanted to get another pretty soon, i didnt know what the hell to do. it really broke my heart. told her if the second one came back as cancer, im done. cant do it. way too hard emotionally. they were 2 totally different dogs, but both awsome. they were only around 7 and 9, we got both at 2 years old. they took to our newborn son like you could only hope. i was much more attached to sam, but it was just as hard when max went, if not harder. i thought it would have been easier since we knew his clock was ticking, but it was no easier. he was bummed since his sidekick wasnt around, but he seemed to have filled the void of both dogs. put up one hell of a fight and one day it just hit him like a ton of bricks, that was the bummer. as hard as that was to lose them, they gave us years of good times, and as long as we are able, i think well rescue another one.

Comment

Working...
                      X