My big engine pictures from the Navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My big engine pictures from the Navy

The 16-cylinder Colt-Pielstick PC2.5 STC engine is intended for use on ships requiring high propulsion power combined with a lightweight installation. The engine was selected by the U.S. Navy to power the LPD-17 San Antonio Class vessels. Four engines are installed per ship, two per reduction gear, with each shaft driving controllable pitch propellers. Each engine is rated at 7755 kW at 520 rpm.

removing a piston, I dont remember why thou

and the little connecting rod

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Nice!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Wow, a medium speed diesel, don't see too many of those anymore. 41,581 total hp, must be in a ship < 500' long to be "sporty". The training ship Golden Bear at CMA (California Maritime Academy) used a medium speed diesel in an ex-navy ship. It replaced the steam turbine that I sailed on. My typical engines now in container ships are Seltzers in the 65,000 hp range with a top speed of 118 rpm.
      sigpic
      Bob
      516 lb/ft @ 2800
      Short shift, its fun

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

Comment

that was aboard the USS GERMANTOWN LSD-42, it was around 440 feet long, served on the ship for Desert Shield / Desert Storm and was on it til she changed home port to Sasebo Japan, I was on board for 2 1/2 years

Comment

removing a piston, I dont remember why thou
          Was it because of the broken connecting rod? :-P

Great pictures!

Comment

the connecting rod is a two piece design

Comment

One-piece crank?
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
              X