Oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil question

So, based on the recommendations of folks here, I took the brandy new 2012 Ford Fusion with 31 miles on it for her first oil change.

Owner's manual and oil cap both say 5W20. I get home, check the invoice and the reminder sticker, both say 5W30 was used. I call the folks who did the oil change and asked why..........."Thats just the way we do it. Car manufacturers don't take the heat or cold into consideration when they write the manuals" Duh. Invoice also lists the car as a focus instead of a fusion.

I am asking you'all how important is this. I am ready to make em drain the oil and replace it with the correct stuff, but if it's not worth the fight, I will let it go until the next time, and return to the folks I used to use, who did it right.

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated.

sueunit
    Last edited by sueunit; August 17, 2011, 11:30 AM.

use the 5w20 ..pretty common now on honda-ford- kia

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      use the 5w20 ..pretty common now on honda-ford- kia
      Okay, is it important enough that I raise a fuss and have them drain and replace what they did today, or do I ride it out until next oil change?

Thanks,
      sueunit

Comment

Sue - I would have waited until 500 or 1000 miles to change the oil the first time - but that's beside the point.

5w30 will not hurt anything, but - I would go back to your old oil change place - I don't like the thought of folks touching my second most valuable asset that can't even read the oil cap or have the attention to detail to type the correct model name on the invoice.

I would use motorcraft, valvoline, castrol, mobil, etc, 5w20 or 5w30 and motorcraft filters in the future.

Do you have any motorcraft quicklane service centers close to you?

Change the oil again in 1000 miles or so, then at 3000, and then go on regular 5000 or 7500 intervals depending on your average trip length with the car. The shorter the average trip - the shorter the mileage between oil changes.
        Last edited by milner351; August 17, 2011, 11:49 AM.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

will hurt your mpg
          when we went to low tensio oil rings in 1985 - it was specified no more than 30 weight oil , we had yahoos keep using 40 weight and we had a bunch of cars coming in with oil rings seized to the pistons
          you should go back to the shop and get 20w
          but it may be like complaining at the restaurant , get a spit burger ...go to the dealer from now on

Comment

Do you have any motorcraft quicklane service centers close to you?

I don't think so, as I never heard that name before. I will google for one, though. I always went to express oil change, and they used the Valvoline 5W20 on both the 2006 Fusion, and the 2005 F150, in accordance with the owner's manuals.

I won't be going back for oil changes to the place I went to today....they left fingerprint oil smudges (OMG) on the hood, the grille, and the oil cap.

Thanks for the input. This car is my baby, don't want her messed with.

Comment

you're in the break in time of the engine, I'd go back and have the correct oil put in..
              FORD ENGINEERS didn't pick 20-50 out of thin air..
              the car isn't cheap.. go raise hell

Comment

I know this will give Mark a mild heart attack, but .... I agree with him.

Comment

Originally posted by sueunit View Post
                  Car manufacturers don't take the heat or cold into consideration when they write the manuals"
                  I'd sure trust the engineering know-how of an oil change guy, over the folks who designed the car. yeah.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks to all......

Here is the outcome to date:

After a second call to the folks who changed my oil today, and after speaking with the person I have dealt with on the last two visits I am told this...............

" I pump 5W20, 5W30, and 5W40. Whatever the label on your oil cap said is what we used. The window stickers are preprinted and ALL say 5W30. Our computers have not kept up, so the invoices will also all say 5W30. The computer didn't have an option for 2012 Fusion, it is like they don't know they exist yet." With repeated questioning, he insisted that if my oil cap says 5W20, that is what they used, regardless of what any of the documentation say.

SO at 1000 miles, we will get the oil changed again by the people we have always used in the past, and throw this invoice away like it never happened. I want to go somewhere where the service records accurately describe the service. Just another example of "close enough" in eastern TN.

Comment

"I'd sure trust the engineering know-how of an oil change guy, over the folks who designed the car. yeah."
                      Last edited by sueunit; August 17, 2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Realize that the more you scream and yell the most likely they will be to not help you out.........

Just be polite and tell them that they put the wrong oil in your motor and you would like it changed out to the right oil. If they give you any crap, then tell them if something goes wrong with the motor that you will hold them completely responsible for the damages and tell them they won't have a leg to stand on since the receipt shows they put the wrong oil in it.......You don't need to yell, just let them know they are taking on an expensive liability........

Comment

Spidey - right on. MPG - 20 weight gets better MPG in new rides.
                          Squirrel - right on. The engineers spec'ing the oil - idiots. All they did was get it built.
                          Milner - right on. Won't hurt it to change it though.

The 5w30 won't hurt it, and as Milner said, probably a bit early, but no worries. I changed mine for the first time at 10k, and no metal to be found in it. They don't "break in" the way they did "back in the day" and all I can say is "Thank Dawg".

I'd probably change it again at 1000 and let pdub do it. Use the 5w20 they spec. I was afraid of it for a long time, but these new engines are fine with it. The oil filter won't be a bitch kitty at this point, and it's time for synthetic if you didn't do that last time. They come with synthetic in them as far as I know.... EPA ratings are critical these days and there is zero question that synthetic oil will reduce friction.

btw, Hi. I go by Pat. I had a beagle when I was married to a Sue. Now I go by Beagle.
                          Last edited by Beagle; August 17, 2011, 02:37 PM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            Spidey - right on. MPG - 20 weight gets better MPG in new rides.
                            Squirrel - right on. The engineers spec'ing the oil - idiots. All they did was get it built.
                            Milner - right on. Won't hurt it to change it though.

The 5w30 won't hurt it, and as Milner said, probably a bit early, but no worries. I changed mine for the first time at 10k, and no metal to be found in it. They don't "break in" the way they did "back in the day" and all I can say is "Thank Dawg".

I'd probably change it again at 1000 and let pdub do it. Use the 5w20 they spec. I was afraid of it for a long time, but these new engines are fine with it. The oil filter won't be a bitch kitty at this point, and it's time for synthetic if you didn't do that last time. They come with synthetic in them as far as I know.... EPA ratings are critical these days and there is zero question that synthetic oil will reduce friction.

btw, Hi. I go by Pat. I had a beagle when I was married to a Sue. Now I go by Beagle.
                            Hi Pat, nice to "meet" you. We went with synthetic blend this time....are you suggesting full synthetic?

I am done with the folks at this car care place as far as oil goes. Unless I physically "watch" what they put in, I will never know for sure. Never had that kind of question with the folks at express lube.

We don't have a motorcraft quick lane place like Milner mentioned.

Comment

just about any joint can handle your request. When you give them your keys, tell them "repeat please" and they'll tell you what they wrote down (keyed in)... they shouldn't have a lot of questions. Don't ask, tell them. It's your buggy.

or tell p-dub. That's what I'd do.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X