what can you add to the list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can you add to the list

Innovative or ill-advised? You be the judge. Here are 10 cars that just never quite caught on

Willys Jeepster 1946-1950

Morgan / Flickr
    A brave attempt by Willys to broaden the Jeep's utilitarian image beyond agriculture and forestry uses, the Jeepster featured a convertible canvas top, flat-topped fenders, and a 62-horsepower engine. But no four-wheel drive was offered, advertising was sparse, and fashion-seeking post-war shoppers with many more choices looked elsewhere. Fewer than 20,000 Jeepsters were built.

AMC billed it as the "first wide small car" because the two-door compact Pacer was more than six feet across. Car and Driver called it "the Flying Fishbowl." The Pacer had so much glass that backseat passengers got sunburned. Despite sparkling early-adopter sales, AMC's financial limitations and multiple engineering compromises doomed this original concept as it did earlier ones like the sawed-off Gremlin.

The first modern mass-produced electric vehicle, EV-1 lost its reason for existence shortly after introduction when California loosened its requirements for zero-emission vehicles. Only 800 of the range-limited cars with outdated technology found customers. Losing thousands of dollars on each vehicle produced, GM discontinued the EV-1 and recalled them, suffering a huge public relations embarrassment in the process.

A two-seat SUV with a T-top and four-wheel-drive, the X-90 was known as the "shoe car" to some because of its extreme rounded styling. Its ungainly proportions and limited functionality (it was equipped with a tiny 95 horsepower engine) consigned it to the dustbin of history after three years of production, during which just 7,205 made their way to the U.S.

A modern interpretation of the classic hot rod, the Prowler was built to capitalize on the success of another retro car, the Dodger Viper. It was undone by a series of engineering compromises deemed "inauthentic," such as a V-6 engine and automatic transmission. Wickedly unstable because of the light front end, only 1,426 cars, priced at $44,625 apiece, were built during its last year of production.

All but obsolete upon introduction, the 8,500-lb., three-and-a-half-ton Excursion tested the outer limits of SUV size with its jumbo proportions. The longest and heaviest SUV ever built, it had only three rows of seats but carried quantities of luggage. Capable of just 14-16 miles per gallon in city driving, it received an Exxon Valdez award from the Sierra Club because of its poor fuel economy and sank without a successor five years after launch.

The world's first hardtop convertible pickup truck -- and, so far, the only one -- the SSR (for Super Sport Roadster) was one of the less-good product ideas General Motors tried before the ascendancy of Bob Lutz. The SSR tried to piggyback on the pickup truck boom with a topless version whose roof folded into the bed when retracted. Built on the Chevy TrailBlazer platform, the SSR was badly overweight and overpriced at $42,000. What seemed cool on an auto show turntable became an overpriced novelty when it went into production, which customers quickly figured out.

Combining four-passenger seating and a car-like ride with all-wheel-drive and an open pickup bed, Subaru tried to create the all-purpose utility vehicle, using components from the Legacy and Outback wagons. But in an attempt to liven up the Baja, it ladled on plastic body cladding and painted early models a garish silver and yellow. The 41-inch bed wasn't very useful either, and Subaru sold only one-quarter as many Bajas as planned before ending production.

A weird combination of pickup truck and SUV, the Envoy XUV was distinguished by a retractable rear roof section, creating an open-topped load area that could accommodate tall objects. Customers didn't know what to make of the homely, expensive creation, and the market for people carrying small trees and tall case clocks proved small. GM expected to sell 90,000 annually but managed only 12,000 in 2004 and put the XUV out of its misery early in 2005.

Combine the looks of a coupe with the functionality of a sedan and the utility of an SUV, and what do you get? Edmunds.com calls it a head-scratcher -- "a hefty crossover SUV that's about as practical as a compact hatchback with a cramped backseat and compromised cargo capacity." Buyers are staying away in droves; Acura sells only about 150 a month.

the jeepster. WTF was wrong with that.

flat fenders, staright steel, years go by on the hard topped pigs and people throw em away..

I see that thing running forever.

"thing". there is another one.

it is hardly every hp that kills a run of machine, it is the chassis.

it is all so manipulated.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I like all of them

Comment

Have you seen what a used Excursion goes for?
        The Jeepster is really cool too

Comment

excursion had the 7.3 ..

Comment

How in the hell did the Pontiac Aztec not make that list??
            Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
              excursion had the 7.3 ..
              and the 6.8 V10. it could also have the 5.4 and 4.6 but those two engines made the truck basicly useless lol

only issue i ever had with the prowler was the lack of power. the 3.5 v6 was just to under powered for a car marketed as a perfomance roadster
              Last edited by Mater; August 17, 2011, 09:24 PM.
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I remember when they first said they were going to produce the prowler - I thought "cool", then I later read it was coming with a gutless v-6, I thought "stupid."
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A buddy of mine has a Jeepster. It's freakin' awesome.

I'd drive an Excursion if somebody parked it in the driveway fo sho.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I don't know who came up with those mpg estimates on an Excursions. We had two before going to Suburbans. Neither could get more than 10 mpg. One had the V10 and moved OK, but the one with the 5.4 felt like it was dragging an anchor. Every plastic panel on the interior rattled badly on both from new. Our fleet guy pulled almost all of the interior out to fix rattles, but couldn't get them all. They sat on the same chassis as the 15 pax Econoline vans, but were slower, worse mpg, rode worse, and heavier.

BUT, oh my could you stuff it full of luggage and people. A family of five, a nanny, an assistant and a butt load of Louis Vuittans stuffed in back. Yes.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

the 7.3 powerstroke excurtion was not that bad. still only got around 10mpg
                      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                        the 7.3 powerstroke excursion was not that bad. still only got around 10mpg
                        The street I live on is 2 blocks long, and a someone used to drive one of these noisy things down my street every day. I wonder if Ford could have made a noisier diesel? Of course, I never say any passengers in it; only the driver.

The Pacer is like one of those "it so ugly it's cute" puppies. My brother has one (2 actually - a wagon and a regular one). They are a novelty now... neat to see one. His is parked under a tree with the motor hanging from a chain in front if it.

The Prowler... eh. They're sort of neat.
                        The SSR... looked good as a concept, but the production version looks too cartoonish or something.

Here's one that bugged me. The original 454SS trucks were short bed, regular cab, half-ton, 2wd trucks. Lots of potential - if only the 454 of the day wasn't so anemic. Later comes the Silverado SS: Extended cab, AWD, heavy, luxury packed truck with (then) huge heavy 20" wheels. I understand they were going after a certain demographic and that they make more money from a more expensive truck... but why not make a truly sporty SS? I mean, they made a stripped down Z28 with cloth seats and roll up windows...

Comment

I thought both GM and Ford had a nice plan for 'retro' hot rods with the SSR and the T-bird. Styling was OK, but performance wasn't. Both were wwaaaayyyy overpriced. Had they been in the low $30s, probably would have doubled sales.

I think the Oldsmobile Aurora would fit on this list.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

fact of the matter is they didn't sell.. we might think they are ok or cool, but buyers with cash in hand did not..
                            no one liked the pacer, it took 40 years and a movie to bring anyone around..
                            the jeep, if they built it today would sell, but back then, nope, the SSR ,very nice truck, if it had come at the same time as the 6.2 427hp lsIII , it sell better, toss the retractable roof and drop the price 10k and they'd have moved all they could build,
                            I really think g.m. is missing a big by hugy market by not building a 6.2lsIII reg cab 2wd short box SS today, but it take from the f body sales, bet they do it after the c.a.f.e regs nueter the f body
                            Last edited by Stich496; August 18, 2011, 05:54 AM.

Comment

LS2 ssr is a hot seller on the used car line

Comment

Working...
                              X