X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would add

Pontiac Sunfire

Late 80's Nova

Cadillac Cimeron (the Cavalier with options)
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The Chevy Corvair

This car was GM's answer to the VW bug but wound up getting killed by Nader's specious book and Ford's unispiring Falcon. The Corvair was very advanced for its time.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        I thought both GM and Ford had a nice plan for 'retro' hot rods with the SSR and the T-bird. Styling was OK, but performance wasn't. Both were wwaaaayyyy overpriced. Had they been in the low $30s, probably would have doubled sales.

I think the Oldsmobile Aurora would fit on this list.
        the T-burd was just a reboddied jaguar. it would of been better off with the 3v 4.6 instead of the Jag sorced 3.9L
        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

They can say all they want about the excursion - but the 7.3L diesel versions especially are VERY sought after in the used car market - hell in Texas you could probably sell one with 250k on the odo for $10k all day long.

The AZTEC should have made the list.

Subaru has had a lot of neat ideas that didn't sell - remember the door stop wedge shapped AWD sports coupe they had? That was a great commercial too with the farmers kid - didn't sell for crap.

Why did they pick the ENVOY and not the AVALANCHE - I can't figure that one out at all - who wants a bed that folds into the interior of your truck so when you get a load of mulch or gravel - it's now INSIDE YOUR TRUCK? Really? Never got that one - but I see them on the road - I suspect very few owners actually ever use the fold down option.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

From our Asian friends...

Subaru XT

Subaru SVX

Comment

"Here are 10 cars that just never quite caught on" eh?

I saw 3 of these vehicles on my 20 mile commute this morning.
              I usually see at least 2 Excursions a day and an SSR or Baja every other day.
              I used to see XUV's everywhere when I lived in the 'burbs. I don't see them anymore though.

Alex Taylor III, the original author of this article, is supposed to be a well respected Detroit journalist. He sure Effed this one up.
              Last edited by Aircooled; August 18, 2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Volkswagon Beetle... what a dismal failure.

Comment

BUT, oh my could you stuff it full of luggage and people. A family of five, a nanny, an assistant and a butt load of Louis Vuittans stuffed in back. Yes.[/QUOTE

Yeah we rented one for a ski trip in Colorado, stuffed six people and all their luggage in it. Made it halfway to Aspen from Denver and had to fill it up, it was good in the snow though.
                  Last edited by 455 LeMans; August 18, 2011, 12:18 PM.
                  Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

Jeepster - Never really excited me, but I don't really like Jeeps. I've had nothing but bad experiences with their reliability and quality, so the older models never crossed my radar screen.

Pacer - Wayne's World made them cool

EV1 - Everyone demanded an electric car. GM gave them a decent one. No one leased them. GM killed it. GM got roasted by the press. Kinda bull sh*t if you ask me.

X-90 - Don't see why this wouldn't appeal to the same people that liked Trackers and other gay little "cute utes."

Prowler - Needed a V8. Period

Excursion - Huge, tough, rough on fuel. Everything I've read says that it was rated to tow less than a Suburban and got worse fuel economy. Looks like it could probably carry more stuff inside and was probably better off road. Still, most SUVs never leave the road.

SSR - Too heavy, too slow, too expensive. Didn't get a good engine until it was too late and even then it was too expensive. For $28,000, this thing might have worked.

Baja - Really? Puke. An updated and just as stupid Brat.

Envoy XUV - No thanks. If I wanted that kind of configuration, I would buy an Avalanche. And if I was considering an Avalanche, I would probably just buy a 1/2 ton crew cab with a short bed.

Acura something or other - Crossovers don't appeal to me. Get off the fence and figure out if you want a car or an SUV

One that's not on the list that makes no sense to me is the Honda CrossTour cross over thing. That thing sucks at life.

Oh yeah, and the Crossfire. Recycled Mercedes parts for $50,000? Sign me up!

Comment

To quote Robin Williams' character in Good Will Hunting, "I was being ironical" ... just so nobody thinks I was being serious about the Bugs.

... sort of dissappointed nobody bit on it though. :-/

Comment

The ex wife wanted me to buy an Excursion, I wouldnt since I didnt need that much truck and I didnt want to feed the thing. It was cheaper to drive the 79 Bonneville with a 400 or the 72 GTO, and pull stuff with the 76 C10. Guess what she bought when the state took 3/4 of my military pay and gave it to her... yep an Excursion, and what a heap it was. Didnt help she doesnt take care of anything, and she backed into something and wiped out the rear glass. Still laughing about that...

I would want a Pacer except I dont look like Garth Algar, I can sound like him, but not look like him. Never wanted any of those vehicles.

In the overpriced and never caught on due to price despite being a cool car, the 04-06 GTO. Drop it to $28k, lose the leather, power everything, and most of the bells and whistles and that thing would have sold better. GM has had their heads so far up their asses they have forgotten what sold those kinds of cars 40 years ago.

Comment

People who bought a gas powered Excursion are missing a chromosome...the ones with the 7.3 Powerstroke rule.
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

when the economy started going poo, there was a V10 4x4 excursion lifted on 35s, sat by the community golf coarse on the street for sale for $4,500, me and the wife actually thought about buying just because of the size and the price and use it as a local commuter
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I have buddy who got a job that pays for his gas. So got an Excursion for cheap. Really nice vehicle when there's no operating costs.

Comment

Working...
                              X