Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD programs... any inexpensive ones?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a vector drawing / CAD program. It's been a million years since I've used or owned anything. The stuff I have won't run on XP, probably won't run on 2000. I'm not even sure it will run on Windows 95, that's how old it is.

Anyway, if y'all have a recommendation for a decent cad package that is not uber expensive, I'm all ears. Thanks.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I run Solidworks here at work. You might be able to get hold of an educational license for a few hundred $ (they may require enrollment at a college or university). Otherwise, look at DraftSight- it is a free 2D package from Solidworks. I don't know if it requires a Solidworks license to buy. I have used it briefly- it works just like Autocad. You could also look for IntelliCad- it used to be a cheap 2D package.

If you don't mind an older version, look at Ebay. They usually have older copies of CAD on there...
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Find a high school robotics team to help mentor, or start one. They get all kinds of neat educational software free....Solidworks, Inventor, etc.

My son was looking into buying something, it's hard to even find a price for solidworks, you need to call them I guess?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've been wondering about this for some time too - here's a link to intellicad - anyone use it?

CMS IntelliCAD is the intelligent, powerful and affordable full-featured 2D 3D DWG, DXF, DWF compatible CAD Software.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Free:

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Excellent! I like that price... it'll probably tell me what I need to know. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler ...
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've been enrolled in college/university for many years now so I've had access to cool stuff for a long time at school. However, to work at home students are often able to download a limited use educational version. Some are free, others require an annual payment.

AutoCAD (2D), Inventor (3D):

It says it's free for all students, try signing up.

SolidWorks (3D: CAD, CAE)
              As the industry standard for design and engineering, SOLIDWORKS is the perfect software platform to help you jumpstart your career.

A student license goes for $150 annually or is free if you're associated with an SAE student design team.

ProEngineer/Creo (3D; CAD, CAM, CAE):

ProE is available to SAE student teams for free or $120 annually for all other students. If you know someone at a college locally, maybe they can help you save the fee.

CATIA (3D; CAD, CAM, CAE)

A student edition is offered for $100 annually but only to full time students.

While they're all not completely free, these are the same software packages used throughout industry. Although not the most powerful, Inventor and SolidWorks are by far the most beginner-friendly. I would suggest that you look into either of those. ProE and CATIA are pretty convoluted and would be easier to learn after gaining general 3D CAD experience from a simpler package.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N. View Post
                  I've been enrolled in college/university for many years now so I've had access to cool stuff for a long time at school. However, to work at home students are often able to download a limited use educational version. Some are free, others require an annual payment.

AutoCAD (2D), Inventor (3D):

It says it's free for all students, try signing up.

SolidWorks (3D: CAD, CAE)
                  As the industry standard for design and engineering, SOLIDWORKS is the perfect software platform to help you jumpstart your career.

A student license goes for $150 annually or is free if you're associated with an SAE student design team.

ProEngineer/Creo (3D; CAD, CAM, CAE):

ProE is available to SAE student teams for free or $120 annually for all other students. If you know someone at a college locally, maybe they can help you save the fee.

CATIA (3D; CAD, CAM, CAE)

A student edition is offered for $100 annually but only to full time students.

While they're all not completely free, these are the same software packages used throughout industry. Although not the most powerful, Inventor and SolidWorks are by far the most beginner-friendly. I would suggest that you look into either of those. ProE and CATIA are pretty convoluted and would be easier to learn after gaining general 3D CAD experience from a simpler package.
                  any closer to your goal ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    any closer to your goal ?
                    Yep, I spent this summer doing a full semester of classes. I have 2 years left to complete my bachelor's in engineering.

College and university are separate in Quebec. I completed a 3 year college program in mech. eng. technology and I've spent the last 4 years at university working towards my actual mech. eng. degree. I was part-time for a while otherwise I would have been done by this summer. Plus, I've had to redo a few classes lol

I'm taking a bit longer than most folks to complete my degree but I've gained a lot of work experience by doing things my way.

Comment

good luck to you

Comment

Did anyone mention Google Sketchup? pretty awesome for basic CAD stuff.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

nice thread,, I got some killer software from when I was at topaz engineering surply..
                          way way over my head..

Comment

I've been using a free demo version of Rhinocerous 3D for a few years now. It's not considered as CAD by some but I've had pretty good success with it. There is a bug in the 3.0 version that lets you save forever. Eveyrthing I've tried after that would only save 25 times. You can still use it but you're unable to save anything.

Comment

I use megacad at work, it converts to g code with having to program all that parameter bs. Check out the video I made today,- wema cnc lathe, with ornamental mill( the mill actually is more of an ornament as much as the lathe is booked up) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFdFB8dg-1I Ibelieve it can function in 2& 3d, but I only use 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X