Unconventional engine swap: Van edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unconventional engine swap: Van edition

One of Allpar.coms feature articles this week. The guy had a VW van and apparently 90 hp wasn't enough, so he swapped in a Chrysler 3.5 V6. It's no hack job either. It's cool seeing some swap an engine with something other than a SBC.

Last edited by moparmaniac07; August 22, 2011, 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot link

chrysler 3.5 ? must have been the 1 dollar engine sale at U PICK lol

Comment

Not sure I understand the choice of power plant but it seems to be really well done. I guess I'd have just started with a Caravan.....

Dan

Comment

This is more like it....

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The Vanagon did not sell well in the United States; the 2.1-liter, 95 horsepower engine was slammed for lack of power, while fueleconomy was far lower than the Dodge Caravan. (The 100-hp Caravan was rated at 18/23 with automatic; the 150 hp V6 Caravan automatic was 17/21; and Vanagon was rated at 15/16 with automatic, 16/18 with manual.)
          could someone just you know punch that retarded author in the face?

these things could be rotted chassis and still barely running with that liquid boxer and still get 10 grand local...as an exotic.

what did he do with the old engine? 52 seconds and 160hp n/a later, I'd have it a "underpowered 90hp" subaru.

that van chassis is done with that dildo v6. Dumbest swap ever.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Nope, not something I would consider doing. Not my taste.
            BUT, for you naysayers, isn't this the TRUE definition of hot-rodding? This guy is taking a vehicle and making it better and faster with his own two hands. Kudos to the builder on his skills and ideas. Take notice, he's conquered every obstacle he's encountered on this swap.
            Today he builds a VW van, in the future, who knows. At least it's not a Honda with a fart can.
            sigpicJohn Castelli
            www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
              these things could be rotted chassis and still barely running with that liquid boxer and still get 10 grand local...as an exotic.
              Dude, the only way someone is getting 10k for one of those shit-piles is if it comes preloaded with the meth instead of you having to actually cook it inside.

I hate that engine and hate those vans but I dig the crap out of the project. That's intergalactic weirdness happening there.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

This one is pretty cool too. Not a bad price either.

I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                  This one is pretty cool too. Not a bad price either.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2546021834.html
                  Yeah, that'd be the type of swap I'd do. The guy with the VW seems to be doing it for a daily driver. Who puts that much work into something to make it a DD that's probably not all that much fun? Some people have a lot of patience to figure out all that stuff.

Comment

One of my favorites.

Comment

yeah, who'd put a weird motor into a foreign rust-bucket? yeah, good thing it's not something I'd ever do
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

engine swaps are always intresting
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71 View Post
                          engine swaps are always intresting
                          Like the Mazda 626 engine and transmission swapped into an early 70's Baracuda that showed up a few years ago?
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                            Like the Mazda 626 engine and transmission swapped into an early 70's Baracuda that showed up a few years ago?

Uhh...what?? I just can't wrap my mind around that one!

But back to this build, the guy has taken an engine that not many people care for, and worked it into a van that not many people care for, and turned into something alot of people will think is cool. If this van doesn't fut the true definitiopn of hot rodding, I don't know what does.
                            Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

What a waste of a lot of nice work! But, I can understand the urge, I've done a few not so wise engine swaps myself long ago.

On a VW related note, I remember decades ago my wife's uncle visited Tucson (from Washington) in his Pinto powered VW van. He was having a few overheating issues.
                              Last edited by squirrel; August 23, 2011, 07:22 AM.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X