Russian rocket doesn't make orbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian rocket doesn't make orbit

I so wish there was video of this - but shaking windows 60 miles away is pretty awesome stuff

on thing about the Russians, when they miss, they miss big - I still remember the concern about whether or not MIR would land in the ocean
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I heard that today.......oops
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I heard that today also, kind of gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that our Russian Comrads will now be transporting our Astronauts back and forth to the Space Station, NOT!
      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
        I heard that today also, kind of gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that our Russian Comrads will now be transporting our Astronauts back and forth to the Space Station, NOT!

they've killed fewer of their astronauts then we have of ours. that score is like USSR 7 USA 16
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 24, 2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

true BUT thier shuttle program never got off the ground - pun intended
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

while the shuttle is a technological marvel, its usefulness really only lay in the marketing of the US. We've been throwing things into orbit for years, and cost per pound for the shuttle vs a one-use rocket is actually pretty obscene. Kind of like hauling garbage with a Ferrari, you could do it, but why?

As for relying on the Russians - call it keeping their scientist eating rather than building rockets for people we'd rather they not build rockets for.

little known cold-war factoid that illustrates. Every year our top scientists would meet with Russian scientists and teach them some of our advances because we were afraid if they fell too far behind and had nothing to lose they'd use their weapons or sell them to someone who would.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 24, 2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              they've killed fewer of their astronauts then we have of ours. that score is like USSR 7 USA 16
              Just curious, what is the ratio in manned Space flights?
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Sorry guys the Russian's employed me to Tune their Rocket and since I've been out of the scene for so many years I got my calculations mixed up and the rocket wasn't able to break orbit.........Oooopss........

Comment

" What's this little red button do? "

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    Sorry guys the Russian's employed me to Tune their Rocket and since I've been out of the scene for so many years I got my calculations mixed up and the rocket wasn't able to break orbit.........Oooopss........
                    I told you to plug the powervalve and jet up, but you wouldn't listen.....
                    Last edited by BBR; August 25, 2011, 05:46 AM.
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                      Just curious, what is the ratio in manned Space flights?
                      I dunno, but I'd guess roughly equal - they used to set off nuclear bombs in response to our setting off nuclear bombs, which of course was because of our response to their nuclear bomb test.....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        while the shuttle is a technological marvel, its usefulness really only lay in the marketing of the US. We've been throwing things into orbit for years, and cost per pound for the shuttle vs a one-use rocket is actually pretty obscene. Kind of like hauling garbage with a Ferrari, you could do it, but why?

As for relying on the Russians - call it keeping their scientist eating rather than building rockets for people we'd rather they not build rockets for.

little known cold-war factoid that illustrates. Every year our top scientists would meet with Russian scientists and teach them some of our advances because we were afraid if they fell too far behind and had nothing to lose they'd use their weapons or sell them to someone who would.

One of the driving forces behind our shuttle program was a way to snatch Russian satellites out of orbit. The government initially planned to launch military shuttle missions from Vandenberg AFB. There was quite a bit of money spent there, including lengthening runways, outfitting a 747 to carry the shuttle, building a launch complex, widening a road leading to the complex, etc.

The whole thing sort of got scrapped after Challenger.

Shuttle Enterprise seen here, on its way to the launch pad:

Last edited by daved931; August 25, 2011, 07:14 AM.

Comment

If I was on the space station, I'd feel alot more comfortable knowing my food, water, and mail was coming via a USA vehicle than a Soviet one.....
                          I don't know why we don't use our boosters to resupply them, but I do know there is no backup plan in place.......
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            If I was on the space station, I'd feel alot more comfortable knowing my food, water, and mail was coming via a USA vehicle than a Soviet one.....
                            I don't know why we don't use our boosters to resupply them, but I do know there is no backup plan in place.......
                            It's ok, we'll probably end up selling the space shuttles to Russia anyways.......
                            Last edited by TC; August 25, 2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

This is horrible. The space station is quickly running out of toilet paper. It'll be a disaster.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X