North Carolina 1/8 Mile! :thumbs:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina 1/8 Mile! :thumbs:

Been over a year sence I have been on the strip I have two dates on my calender right now I know there are a few NC BSers so if your not doing anything and it not to far a way it would be great to hang out.

Saturday August 27, Piedmont Dragway, gates open at 5pm Taking my 79 Capri

Thursday Sepember 8, Dunn Benson, I think it starts at 6pm (there website is down) taking my 89 Mustang

The 79 has a peg leg 2.47 rear any advice on how to get out of the hole?
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Just one slick - put it on the right rear? ;) sorry. Had to.

They all seem to want something a little different. That's gonna be a balance for sure. I doubt it's gonna hold a 4k clutch drop without spinning. Does it still have the 7.5 in it? It may be a good thing if it spins. It's probably gonna bog if you try to walk it out, but that's easiest on parts. I think I'd start about 2500 and see if it will hold, and go up from there. I think I'd be more interested in the MPH than the ET to figure out how many nuts it's making.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yes its the 7.5 I don't have any slicks so it will be on street tires. At Maxton it was a tire fryer pretty much anything I did (roll out and gun it or launch just above idle). The strip should have a little more grip. Is dumping the clutch the norm or should I be trying to slip it some? The last time I took my 89 it was one legged and the quickest passes where when I launched just above idle and let it bogged hard, anything more and it would sit a spin.

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

My LX liked to have the clutch dropped about 2500-3000, and it would spin for a bit, but was faster (ET) than letting it bog. I didn't really sidestep it, but I let it out pretty fast and matted the gas at the same time. The trac-loc was still working pretty good so it would spin both of them.

I'd probably not do that with a 7.5 if it's getting traction.. and I would think a drag strip with a prepped starting line should have more traction. They make spools for a 7.5 - do any of the LSR guys say to not run a spool? That would be a helluva lot stronger. The axles in the 8.8 and 7.5 are both 28 spline. The Rangers and Aerostars have some lower gears too (3.73, 4.10) if you want to get greasy.
        Last edited by Beagle; August 25, 2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I have replaced the clutch pack in the trac loc in my 89 and it seems to hook a lot better on the street, we will see when I take it to the track.

I think a spool is fine for LSR with the ECTA leaving NC next year (not offical but looks that way) I really don't know the future of this car. With my supply of time, money, tow rig, five races will be out of the question and I will have to deside it the time/money is worth a race or two a year. I don't know if I want to make this a drag car or not. Having a car that is not street legal is a pain in the butt, telling my wife I want to put tag and Insurance on another car is worse. Sometimes I think I should "build" the 89 in to a better street car. The reason I got the 79 was to run in the classic class at the ECTA shoting for a record, well its been bumped I need more safety equipment and HP to get any of them now.

oh the point.... If i mess with the rear it will be to put an 8.8 in its place.

you got any cheese to go with my wine....

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Russ,there is a cruise thru in downtown Burlington on Saturday night also.You might go down 87 north from the interstate and check it out. 6pm until 1 am.
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

It's probably a better plan. 8.8's are dirt cheap around here and have better brakes. 3.08's and a five speed is good for 140-145 with a stock HO. I bet the ECTA guys are all hard at work trying to find a new location, which is probably why you don't hear much from Keith these days?

Click image for larger version

Name:	second-rat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	857261how's that phrase go? The early bird gets the worm, but the second rat gets the cheese?

Edit -
              Lincoln Locker!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fozzy-locker-spider-gear-1.jpg
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	857263Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln-Locker.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	857262

I plan on doing the Fozzy locker in my Bronco this winter... it's got manual hubs, so you can unlock one hub and still turn. The one on the left the call a "fozzy locker", you'll get two wheel peel then.
              Last edited by Beagle; August 25, 2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid View Post
                Russ,there is a cruise thru in downtown Burlington on Saturday night also.You might go down 87 north from the interstate and check it out. 6pm until 1 am.
                Where? 87 goes through Graham? I will see how things are when I leave the track. You should come to the track!

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  It's probably a better plan. 8.8's are dirt cheap around here and have better brakes. 3.08's and a five speed is good for 140-145 with a stock HO. I bet the ECTA guys are all hard at work trying to find a new location, which is probably why you don't hear much from Keith these days?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4402[/ATTACH]how's that phrase go? The early bird gets the worm, but the second rat gets the cheese?

Edit -
                  Lincoln Locker!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4403[/ATTACH]

I plan on doing the Fozzy locker in my Bronco this winter... it's got manual hubs, so you can unlock one hub and still turn. The one on the left the call a "fozzy locker", you'll get two wheel peel then.
                  I thought the rear breaks and axles where the same? A stock 5.0 may do 140 flat out but I have never seen one do it in the Mile. My very tired 89 w/ 3.08 gear ran 131. The P motor with HO cam went 140. Dad's LX with 3.73 has done I think 136 in the mile (has to shift to 5th)?

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

My bad - thinking of the front. Sorry about that, you are correct. Axles and brakes are the same.

I was just thinking that the 3.08's still have plenty of legs... not about a mile specifically. I'd like to math that out some time and see where 5th becomes a real value (4.10's?) with a revvy sbf. Those are good numbers, hopefully y'all will find a new home soon.

Comment

Russell - I guess we'll just have to wait and see where the new ECTA location is - it's a shame for all the guys that have done a bunch of work on cars recently to loose a location close to home....

I welded up the 7.5 3.45 axle in the ranger and beat it relentlessly with the cleveland before I pulled it out in favor of the peanut engine.
                      I was fully expecting to grenade that axle - but since the converter was near stock and the engine really needed a 3500 or so stall - it didn't hit the tires very hard, and the amateur mig welded 7.5 held up. If you intend to dispose of the 7.5 in the future anyhow and you have a welder - it's always an option - mine didnt' look at nice as Beags pics.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

One of the fun parts of NC is that we're loaded with 1/8 mile drag strips. There are 3 within a short drive of Wilmington and they are not the ones Russell mentioned.

Yes, Keith and Joe are searching gallantly for a replacement track. The Wilmington, OH track is not off the table as I understand it. Guess we'll see what shakes out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          My bad - thinking of the front. Sorry about that, you are correct. Axles and brakes are the same.

I was just thinking that the 3.08's still have plenty of legs... not about a mile specifically. I'd like to math that out some time and see where 5th becomes a real value (4.10's?) with a revvy sbf. Those are good numbers, hopefully y'all will find a new home soon.
                          I think 3.08 are a great gear for a mile you can get a stockish car on a 26" tire to run 140 in a confortable rpm, and a you can put a 28" tire with a 7500 rpm screamer and run 200!

The stock 5th gear was intended for MPG I think it is at .68? Makes for a pretty big RPM drop one of those road race trannys with a .8ish 5th would be better

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Agreed - it would be much easier that way. I think by the time you had enough hp to spin the OD, you'd be risking the trans maybe. I just did a 3.27 / 27" tire with a .8 at 5.5k rpm and it would be plenty for me at 170, specially if it had the power to do it in a mile. I'm not real wild about the stock notchback at 140 ish, it's a little light in the front end.
                            Last edited by Beagle; August 27, 2011, 02:50 PM. Reason: spreadsheet foobar

Comment

Got rained out today

not sure if the hatch is better than the notch, I thought it felt a little light at 140 not that bad.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X