Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loving my late-model chevy stripper, but would like one modern convience...powerlocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving my late-model chevy stripper, but would like one modern convience...powerlocks

Power locks would be nice.

I don't need the key-fob bleep-bleep type of bling, but being able to lock and unlock all the doors from one location would be excellent.

Its a 2006 3500 Express 12 passenger van. Has the LQ4 6.0, 4L80, rubber floor mats and wind-up windows. Power steering, brakes and air are about it, and that is just the way I like it.

But running around unlocking doors for everyone is getting old.

There is factory wiring going into the doors......could it be as simple as ordering the parts and plugging in some connectors? And mounting some switches, of course?

Any chevy truck guys know about this?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

find one in j/y and get the cyl and latch, wires,switches ,relays,

Comment

Looks like an Amish hauler, changin occupations STINEY?

Comment

you need a big sticker on the side glass that says FREE CANDY INSIDE
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

could be that easy

my 01 Grand Prix stripper atill has all the wiring for evry otion it never had. it was cheaper for GM to make one harness and not install options then make many difffrent harnesses for every combination that could be ordered
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Diggin the down and dirty look.......maybe some chrome wheels?
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              Diggin the down and dirty look.......maybe some chrome wheels?
              You can buy faux chrome wheel skins for the steel wheels, they look really good too.
              Chevy Wheel Skins, GMC truck chrome wheel skins, Hubcap Heaven and Wheels, Chevrolet truck chrome wheel skins, GMC truck chrome wheel skins, Suburban, Silverado, Sierra, BBB approved

Click image for larger version

Name:	8_lug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	857292

I got a set for the winter tires on my Cherokee & everyone asks where I bought the chrome wheels.

Comment

28.00 for the solenoid / actuators per door from Rock Auto, but I couldn't find the door switches for some reason.
                69.00 for the key fob, which requires a locksmith / dealership to program according to the page I found. Since they all probably have VATS, that makes sense. That also leads me to think they may have all the door lock stuff in there because it was cheaper to do it that way than stock two harnesses and two computers like Mater mentioned.

I would not be a bit surprised if the wiring was all there and the switch / solenoids were the only things missing. See if there are wires by the back door lock, I think that would be the kicker?

If you've got two harnesses in the drivers door, one for the locks and one for the solenoid, I bet you are good to go. If you can get a doorswitch and a solenoid that are returnable, it'd be a cheap experiment. If it will do that, I bet you can key fob it too for cheap.
                Last edited by Beagle; August 27, 2011, 06:01 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

my guess is that the locks are operated by the computer, so making the factory stuff work would require a computer reprogramming....

I expect an aftermarket system would be the way to go, and they'll be crappy.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    my guess is that the locks are operated by the computer, so making the factory stuff work would require a computer reprogramming....

I expect an aftermarket system would be the way to go, and they'll be crappy.
                    I'd be surprised if it was expensive - ODBii is cake, and probably a bit needs flipped. It's an interesting point though - Stiney, does it have an alarm? Like, if you open the window and reach in to open the door from the inside instead of from the outside, does it freak?

at 28.00 for the factory actuator/solenoid, it wouldn't be all that hard to do it yourself I would think. Take a look at the picture of it from Rockauto
                    Last edited by Beagle; August 27, 2011, 08:47 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      I'd be surprised if it was expensive - ODBii is cake, and probably a bit needs flipped. It's an interesting point though - Stiney, does it have an alarm? Like, if you open the window and reach in to open the door from the inside instead of from the outside, does it freak?

at 28.00 for the factory actuator/solenoid, it wouldn't be all that hard to do it yourself I would think. Take a look at the picture of it from Rockauto
                      The BCM just interacts with the lock power network, I'm fairly certain it doesn't exercise total control. Like Mater pointed out, GM has a habit of equipping the harness with every plug needed for any option then taping them to the harness when not needed. I'd not be surprised to find the door harness already has the plugs and I bet the latches are already drilled. The doors might have dimples for the lock solenoids or they might be drilled. I bet it's a case of finding the switches and panels, solenoids and arms, and then just plugging it all up. Worst case is you have to get the dealer to tell the BCM to let it all work.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Yup, BCM does the lock duty. There's only 2 BCM's available for that van...

" Body Cont (BCM), (ctr dash), commercial tradesman pkg (opt PRP) "
                        " Body Cont (BCM), (ctr dash), w/o commercial tradesman pkg
                        "

It fits 03-07 Chevy/GMC Trucks & Vans. You'll need the key fob(s) from the vehicle you get the BCM from too. Lock solenoids are a dime a dozen.

Comment

Thanks guys. Our computer at home won't boot up, so I apologize for taking so long to respond.

No alarm. This beast doesn't freak out about anything, the worst it does is ding every 10 minutes if you leave your seatbelt off.

I'll check out the back door harness thing. Good tip.

Change of occupation? No.... but this does open up possibilities for some moonlighting doesn't it? Mother-in-law immediately dubbed it the "Yoder-Toter" and that name has stuck.

Eric, how did those covers hold up to the winter brine-crap?
                          I could see a set of those on the way here ASAP, first thing I did was to begin scrounging for something a little better looking in the wheel department. Haven't found much though, most of the stuff is 22" ghetto roller style, just not me.....I keep looking.

Would the BCM with matching fob be a plug and play thing? Seems unlikely, just to change the radio I had to pay our local dealer $40 to make the radio and BCM play nice with each other. Not a stopper, just curious if the BCM needs to be matched to the ECM. Or if the BCM would then need to be matched to the radio again?

Really the fob would just be icing on the cake. Opening the door with a key and hitting the unlock button would be a great improvement.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

It's a homeschool family assault vehicle! (I was homeschooled, so I am allowed to say that)

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              Eric, how did those covers hold up to the winter brine-crap?
                              I could see a set of those on the way here ASAP, first thing I did was to begin scrounging for something a little better looking in the wheel department.
                              If you wax them they hold up just fine. They're made out of the same cheap China plastic everything we buy is made out of, but they're pretty sturdy for what they are..

Comment

Working...
                              X