No announcement yet.

Hurricane devastation picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that gets me, is this is exactly along the lines of "It Could Happen Tomorrow," the TV show. Where an episode covered the paranoid fear that a hurricane strikes New York City.

Well, here ya go.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      I hope your stuff stays together Tom.

Let's hope Dan Stokes is okay. Might be a while before we know. From the one hurricane I've been through, ... well, the power was off at our house after hurricane Hugo for two weeks.

Thanks peewee. The good news is that I have insurance. The bad news it's still with Allstate and the experience with my house fire is permenantly embedded in my memory. The good news is that I'll know how to deal with them and who to call.

Yeah, I', expecting damage to the house with predicted 100 MPH winds. Hey, maybe the leaves will get blown out of the yard!
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

So far the news is down playing that the storm lost power instead of the predicted category 3 120 mph winds. Not sure if they are exaggerating the 85 mph winds they are reporting, which is barely category 1.

What does all this mean? News agencies are once again spreading fear by inflating stories beyond fact. Remember them reporting how we were gonna die from swine flu? They spent three days interviewing people after the earthquake about how their salt and pepper shakers fell off the lazy susan. Oh brother. I'm waiting for them to be guilty of creating an all out panic. Hopefully, all their wolf crying will harden people to the point they don't believe a word they say; and they will have to go back to just reporting facts again.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          So far the news is down playing that the storm lost power instead of the predicted category 3 120 mph winds. Not sure if they are exaggerating the 85 mph winds they are reporting, which is barely category 1.

What does all this mean? News agencies are once again spreading fear by inflating stories beyond fact. Remember them reporting how we were gonna die from swine flu? They spent three days interviewing people after the earthquake about how their salt and pepper shakers fell off the lazy susan. Oh brother. I'm waiting for them to be guilty of creating an all out panic. Hopefully, all their wolf crying will harden people to the point they don't believe a word they say; and they will have to go back to just reporting facts again.
          It was that way around here last Spring when we were having all the rain........weather person would say the weekend is going to be a washout and everyone made their plans accordingly.

Most times they were wrong.

Hell I could be a weather........every day it'd be a50/50 chance of showers.
          It's either gonna rain or it's not.
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

It's all about THE RATINGS.
            58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              It was that way around here last Spring when we were having all the rain........weather person would say the weekend is going to be a washout and everyone made their plans accordingly.

Most times they were wrong.

Hell I could be a weather........every day it'd be a50/50 chance of showers.
              It's either gonna rain or it's not.
              Weather men would be more accurate if they pulled out the farmer's almanac and read it out loud instead trying to use all that computer modelling and radar stuff.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Basically that Category as well as the speed the hurricane is traveling gives you a picture of what the impact will be. The category is based upon the wind speed and the storm surge above high tide levels. One thing to take into account, is if it drops from 115 mph winds to 105 mph winds it will drop to a Cat 2, but most people will react like it'll just be a bad rainstorm. You also have to take into account the speed the storm is moving. I'd rather have a Cat 3 that's moving at 30 mph, than a Cat 2 that's moving at 5 mph since you'll be in the storm longer.

CAT, Winds, Surge
                1, 74-95 mph, 4-5 ft
                2 , 96-110 mph, 6-8 ft
                3, 111-130 mph, 9-12 ft
                4, 131-155 mph, 13-18 ft
                5, 155 mph+, 18 ft +

Right now they're looking for the storm to hit Long Island about 7-8 a.m. Sunday morning.

(tried to make the table show up right, but it's not happening,
                Last edited by joebogey; August 27, 2011, 06:35 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

My sister is hunkered down in her hotel room in Manhattan right now. Hope she has enough booze to get her through.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                    My sister is hunkered down in her hotel room in Manhattan right now. Hope she has enough booze to get her through.
                    Room service. Or, .....when I was in Montreal, there was a beer machine in the lobby. Just like a Coke machine. But it didn't work, so the motel clerk had to open up the front of the machine with a key to get me a dozen beers out. Since I spoke English instead of French, the clerk was already real pissed off that I was even alive. But I got the beer.

I hope Sister and everybody else stays safe. It's an ugly weather situation for sure.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Here in eastern Massachusetts it is currently a rain storm with an occasional wind gust. Luckily the news is trying to convince us that what we're literally watching with our own two eyes is soooooooo much worse than it seems. The reporter on the beach screaming into his mic, held up a wind gauge and it read a stunning..........50mph. FAIL Steve Cooper.....FAIL
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                        Here in eastern Massachusetts it is currently a rain storm with an occasional wind gust. Luckily the news is trying to convince us that what we're literally watching with our own two eyes is soooooooo much worse than it seems. The reporter on the beach screaming into his mic, held up a wind gauge and it read a stunning..........50mph. FAIL Steve Cooper.....FAIL
                        Yeah......them dumb ass holes......standing out in the wind & rain telling
                        everyone........you must stay indoors.

Well what the hell you doin outside nimwits?

More drama
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

In 2004 we got Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne one after another. That was crazy.

For Charlie, (which was kind enough to hit us on a weekend) I rented all 3 Lord of the Rings movies and watched all three of them... twice. I drank so much, I didn't care if my house blew away (yes, I was in it). Fortunately, Charlie's damaging winds missed me by 25 or so miles; it was just like a long thunderstorm.

The other two weren't as kind. I lost power for 3 and 4 days, and lost a garage window. I don't stress too much because I don't have any trees close to my house... heck, until Charlie, I didn't think a hurricane could make it this far inland and still be powerful. I still don't worry much about hurricanes, but I am no longer so arrogant about my perceived invulnerability to their damaging winds.

I bought a 6 year guarantee not to lose power. Many people call it a generator... but for a $500 investment, it has guaranteed I keep power. The only problem with a guarantee of this type; you never know when it expires.

Comment

Just got back from a trip down to the ocean with the kids. There was some good action down in the town of Hull which kind of hangs out into the ocean here in SE Mass. Waves were probably about 10 feet tall and a couple places we parked to check it out, were breaking over the sea wall onto the car. The kids were into it.

Seeing the small sailboats pitch around out in the water was pretty neat, but the big score was finding a working 1964 White semi-tractor. Snapped a bunch of photos for das blog tomorrow.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                              Room service. Or, .....when I was in Montreal, there was a beer machine in the lobby. Just like a Coke machine. But it didn't work, so the motel clerk had to open up the front of the machine with a key to get me a dozen beers out. Since I spoke English instead of French, the clerk was already real pissed off that I was even alive. But I got the beer.

I hope Sister and everybody else stays safe. It's an ugly weather situation for sure.
                              After living in France for a year, I came away with this startling revelation - the French only hate one person more than everyone else.... themselves (rightly so as they are surrender monkeys).

When we had the 100 mph windstorm in 2006, having a generator didn't make any difference if you didn't have fuel. When it knocked the power it, it blew the power out to the gas stations - for more than a week.... I was lucky, at the time I had a 24' Class A with a generator.... worked excellent at powering what we needed. Interestingly, the natural gas never shut off - so if you have a natural gas powered generator - you'd be fine.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 28, 2011, 11:05 AM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I got away with some tree tops down. Spent most of the morning with the chainsaw making clients happy. The bad news came an hour ago with a call from my brother. A 24" poplar took out the corner of the shed with my Plymouth in it. His words "the front end and all those hoods are pretty squished " He lost 15 trees. I know what I'm doing next weekend.

Hey Steve I'll trade you!

Steve
                                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Working...
                                X