No announcement yet.

WTF's wrong with the English language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might just have to steal this one, Groucho.
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

Wow, 8 pages of crap... Look, there are only two countries that speak English... The USA is not one of them... In the USA we speak American... What is the distinction? Besides the changes in grammar and the words we use... As Americans we have bastardized the English language... To the point that it is different enough, that it really is not English. Nitpicking? A bit, but so is most of the 8 pages of ca ca consisting of this post... Just to entertain... I'll let you super intelligent, the earth is flat folks take a stab at which two countries speak English, still today as a first language... For the most part... You maybe surprised...

Please don't take my post as an insult... Just stating my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny View Post
        Wow, 8 pages of crap... Look, there are only two countries that speak English... The USA is not one of them... In the USA we speak American... What is the distinction? Besides the changes in grammar and the words we use... As Americans we have bastardized the English language... To the point that it is different enough, that it really is not English. Nitpicking? A bit, but so is most of the 8 pages of ca ca consisting of this post... Just to entertain... I'll let you super intelligent, the earth is flat folks take a stab at which two countries speak English, still today as a first language... For the most part... You maybe surprised...

Please don't take my post as an insult... Just stating my opinion.
        Those 2 countries would be Utah and Nebraska. And as far as English/American....I'm sure my point was clear
        STUGOTS

Comment

Living in a place with a lot of international students, I find it kind of shameful that most American students, myself included, can only speak one language fluently. Most foreign students speak at least two fluently, and I know more than a few that speak three or more.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post
            Living in a place with a lot of international students, I find it kind of shameful that most American students, myself included, can only speak one language fluently. Most foreign students speak at least two fluently, and I know more than a few that speak three or more.
            Once upon a time WE ONLY NEEDED THE ONE FREAKIN LANGUAGE
            STUGOTS

Comment

True: This joke has been told to me in nearly every country I've been in.

What do you call a person who speaks three languages? Trilingual.
              What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
              What do you call a person who can only speak one language? Just another dumbass American.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                Those 2 countries would be Utah and Nebraska. And as far as English/American....I'm sure my point was clear
                Thanks Groucho,I am from Nebraska originally.LOL
                Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

The real problem with SBG's comments and views is that if something quite dont fit is lets just move the scale a bit to make it ok . If they cant or wont learn the language lets make our people learn it. If they are to sorry to go to work, get married or do it the legal way, its ok , we should pay for them anyway. Lets just keep moving the bar. In Tenn. if they dont speak English or they dont bring a translator to the DMV they dont get served. It should be their responsibility , not ours.
                  I have had a lot of fun selling at flea markets and when those people came along and didnt speak English, I really didnt care if I sold them anything or not.

I like the comments on being American. If you move here, and want to live here, humble yourself, and learn the language. Does anyone know what humbling ones self is? Not many, I guess. Maybe we just owe them.

Comment

SBG's comments? here it is again - "if they don't speak the language, they can starve." Not quite sure how you got all the way through school without learning how to read... but do carry on with your comments - they're pretty entertaining.

When I was in Europe, whenever an ugly tourist (nope, not all are Americans) came be-booping through - we'd speak in whatever language they weren't. Even if they tried to speak the language, we'd pretend we didn't understand them... was really funny watching the idiot going off all pissed because no one understood him. Given your attitude Groucho, I imagine that happened to you.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 8, 2011, 10:50 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

All I know is in every other country English is a required class, even the Libyans on the TV could speak english.....So I don't think it's to much to ask people that want to come to this country to learn English, it's really only the obvious thing to do since 95+% of the population speaks it........

As for our English not being "Proper English" that they teach pretty much everywhere else, that is true, we have bastardized the English language into our own(be proud!!!).....Which is great IMO and the reason that a lot of foreigners like to come to America, it's because our English isn't like the British English that they teach in the rest of the world. It was really cool when I went to Germany to visit relatives and people would realize I'm American and they would come up to me and want to talk just to learn the way I(Americans) talk.......And let me say thank god the German's also learn English in school or I would have had a hell of a time, but most people know enough to understand what you want/need......Hell my dad has lived here in the US for so long he's forgotten a lot of his German.......

Comment

I don't feel the need to learn another language just to get by in MY OWN COUNTRY and I think it is ridiculous that we are expected to. If I'm traveling abroad I have the courtesy to learn enough of the language to get by. I refuse to cater to people that not only visit, but move here and proclaim they want to be American. If you want to be American, learn OUR language and fly OUR flag or you can waltz your happy asses back where you came from.
                        Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

i AM WONDERING HOW GOOD EVERYONES ENGLISH WOULD BE IF THEY WERE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE PERSON THEY ARE ADDRESSING ON THIS FORUM.COME ON FELLAS AND GALS,CANT WE JUST ALL GET ALONG.LAST I CHECKED,YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEAK ANY LANGUAGE TO DRIVE A CAR,TRUCK,TRACTOR OR WHATEVER.
                          Last edited by CaminoKid; September 9, 2011, 06:59 AM.
                          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
                            . In tenn. If they dont speak english or they dont bring a translator to the dmv they dont get served. It should be their responsibility , not ours.
                            exactly!
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post
                              Shameful? Bullshit. So, if one were to learn that second language here in the U.S.A...what would you suggest it be? Spanish to understand a Mexican? Spanish to understand a Cuban? Spanish to understand a Puerto Rican? Farcy(sp) to order a God Damn Slurpie at 7-11? How about any one of a few dozen Asian dialects? Or Armenian perhaps? Sure they teach a second language all over the world...IT'S ENGISH! OUR ENGLISH!
                              STUGOTS

Comment

I don't know why they keep coming,the last part I bought at the parts store was made in Mexico and all the rest are made in China !! ?
                                Last edited by 63 falcon; September 9, 2011, 07:25 AM.
                                Danny/Zachary
                                HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Working...
                                X