Best youtube vids I've ever seen: Formula One engine development circa 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best youtube vids I've ever seen: Formula One engine development circa 1985

Saw these on another forum, and immediately committed two hours to watching them. This video was taken in the mid 1980s as Ford decided to work with Cosworth, and make the move to turbocharged F1 engines.

They also took the leap from mechanical FI to EFI.

What really got me was, their methods back then were eerily similar to a modern day EFI Dyno Session (with me, anyways, making homemade custom EFI electronics on-site) these guys were 25 years ago. Oscilliscopes, Through-hole componentry, and on-the-spot customization - and debugging tach noise, ignition noise, and finding out what a bitch it is integrating sensitive electronics into an automotive applications (noise management!).

That's just part of it. They show the original sand castings of the engine, dyno tuning sessions, they kill a pinto-based motor in one session, it's pretty awesome.

Start here to kill an hour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB1qwhKaaE

Then watch part two. AWESOME VIDS!

(sorry if this is a repost)
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

renault still winning ..ford long gone

Comment

Great video! Those were the ultimate days of F1 1500+ HP from 45psi rocket fuel fed 1.5 litres (in qualifying trim)

Comment

Best two hours I've spent in the last 5 years.

I no longer feel too bad about the efforts we've made.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
          Best two hours I've spent in the last 5 years.

I no longer feel too bad about the efforts we've made.
          No kidding, those guys were every bit as backwoods with their electronics as we are today. Sure, we're 25-30 years behind them - and we have better tools (engine stimulator being the major one they could have used, plus better software and faster processor) - but the similarities between their dyno sessions, and one of ours, made me feel a whole lot less "ghetto" about the stuff we do with experimental electronics and EFI.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

if you ever ever get the chance, get a pit/garage pass for the indy, yes it's an all honda show.. but man, worth it
            Last edited by Stich496; September 3, 2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
              if you ever ever get the chance, get a pit/garage pass for the indy, yes it's an all honda show.. but man, worth it
              Yup.

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                funny thing is, I grew up going to many Indy 500 races during the 1980s, my dad's employer sponsored Dick Simon for many years during that decade. I got all kinds of pit access, attended many carburetion testing days, etc. The problem is, I had no idea that I'd be doing what I do now, back then. Damn it all!! ha.

I did get garage access tothe Ferarri team at the USGP the second year it was at Indy. The Italians weren't extremely concerned about losing any secrets, if I remember correctly they were getting ready to debut next year's car so the current car wasn't anything to be too secretive about. Saw them fire it up and warm it up (which is a 2 hour procedure, they slowly warm the oil and coolant and circulate them until the block is a certain temp, etc.).

And I did tune a Cosworth DFV once, with EFI. So I've been around these types of engines, but never as much as I'd like to be!

Comment

Working...
                X