Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can somebody help me identify the cylinder heads on my car???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can somebody help me identify the cylinder heads on my car???

i had a valve cover off the mustang the other day to paint it and saw this casting on it, it doesnt look like something a manufacturer would cast on a head so im wondering if my mustang doesnt have e7 heads on it, sorry for the crappy picture, my phone camera is all i have at the moment but it says "CP" it also had a casting number that said "178" on it too.

so are these e7's or something else? thanks for the help!

Last edited by 1988montecarloss 2; September 3, 2011, 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
    formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
    http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

I'm betting Squirrel (Jim) can identify them.
    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

The CP probably represents what casting plant it was made at (Cleveland Plant)........

And the 178 could represent intake runner volume(178cc's).....
      Last edited by TC; September 3, 2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It's pretty hard to see what's there, but the CP thing sounds familiar on ford castings. Does it have a ford casting number? I think it might be kind of hard to find, but it would be something like E5TE

Or a Ford casting date, like 5E17
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yes theyre E7's. Here is a better pic I took of the casting foundry ID thats on the E7 heads on the 87 HO motor I'm working on.

Here is a Wikipedia list of most of the companies that are Ford vendors, and Cleveland Casting is one, didn't see any that stand out as CP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03298.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	857417
          Last edited by mustang13; September 3, 2011, 04:27 PM.
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Here I flipped the pic over

Name:	DSC03298.JPG
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	857418
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Name:	SAM_0224-1.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	857422

only way I know to tell an E7TE for sure is to turn it over.
              Last edited by Beagle; September 3, 2011, 07:02 PM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

come to think of it, if you have a mirror you can see this with the intake off....

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                  The CP probably represents what casting plant it was made at (Cleveland Plant)........

And the 178 could represent intake runner volume(178cc's).....
                  We wish stock Ford small block heads flowed that much! I think I read somewhere that the old 289 heads were something like 125-135cc!

Comment

the pic I put up is from a set of pocket ported heads, and I doubt they are 150cc intake port volume yet. I'll get back to you after I cc them.

The 178 would be interesting if they actually cast that in for a reason - the intake valve on E7's is 1.78", I think they flow like 160 or so at .5 lift (28 inches of h20) on the intake. 178 would be great.

There's nothing on the top side of the heads that really makes it obvious if they are E6SE or E7TE... flip them over and you'll see the marking. The 178 may have a line next to it - it's probably pointing at either the 7 or the 8. I'd suspect they are the production date codes.

The "CP" is probably really a CCP - Cleveland Casting Plant. The two C's are merged...

Nobody in their right mind would pay money for the headgaskets to put E6SE's on anything... they're probably the stock E7's.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      the pic I put up is from a set of pocket ported heads, and I doubt they are 150cc intake port volume yet. I'll get back to you after I cc them.

The 178 would be interesting if they actually cast that in for a reason - the intake valve on E7's is 1.78", I think they flow like 160 or so at .5 lift (28 inches of h20) on the intake. 178 would be great.

There's nothing on the top side of the heads that really makes it obvious if they are E6SE or E7TE... flip them over and you'll see the marking. The 178 may have a line next to it - it's probably pointing at either the 7 or the 8. I'd suspect they are the production date codes.

The "CP" is probably really a CCP - Cleveland Casting Plant. The two C's are merged...

Nobody in their right mind would pay money for the headgaskets to put E6SE's on anything... they're probably the stock E7's.

yeah, the car actually goes really good (kept up with my friends 2001 stg 3 roush) for what it is so i doubt theyre e6's
                      formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                      http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Working...
                      X