Do people not get your program???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people not get your program???

I went to the local car show last night with the 32... this is a monthly deal that our local guys have been doing for years and years and I've been a regular forever.. ( think I'm actually a charter member from the 80's )...

Anyway.... Last night I'm trying to explain the 2 cylinder Camaro exercise... and not a single person there got it.... Seriuosly.... nobody... they couldn't understand it nor could the contemplate doing it.... honestly none of them had time for the intellectual exercise of how you make it run....

What a complete and total waste of time... Sorry.... I just want to hang around actual car people....and as much as I try..... Sometimes.... oh hell nevermind.... I just wanted to rant.

K

I'm with you, Keith.

perhaps they... wait, no. I don't want to try to get in their heads.

I have been to plenty of shows, seen lots of small block or big block engine swaps in older cars. To the point that it's boring for me. I would much rather see something more creative or simply left alone. I've told the story here of the local with a Chevy II wagon. When he first got it, it still had the original 4 cylinder. I let him know that I thought it was super cool the way it was... but he had other plans. It now has a 350 crate motor, aftermarket air, and a subtle two tone silver paint job.
    Don't get me wrong, it turned out very nicely - and he has taken it on the power tour a couple times... I would be proud to own it the way it is now... but imagine if ...

Comment

Yeah I've seen and gotten that kind of response. But I tend to march to the beat of a different drum. EFI big block BUICK? Wha? OHC Pontiac Six? Wha?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Most times around here it's the generation gap.

Try explaining this to the same crowd

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

oh my

Comment

Most people don't get my program, even when I was a little kid. But as far as the gearhead stuff, I agree also. My father in law has a '64 Chevy truck that he's owned since 1966. It has patina that guys would kill for, at least a few years ago when patina was all the rage. I told him whatever he does, don't paint it just get it running. He looked at me like I was crazy.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

most people only see whats in front of them.If you have to explane they wont get it.You went you broke then you made lamon aid.You went to race and you did.hats off to your team.

Comment

Hey Terry thanks for the kudo's.... mostly cause you get it... like Randal.... seriously he never questioned why we wouldn't do that.... I mean a record is a record... maybe not the biggest... but does that mean that every record below 200mph has no value? The fact of the matter is if you want to run an F Blown Fuel Classic Altered you currently have to run 130mph cause someone beat our record... ( actually they simply certified their run after ours... damn fine sportsmanship )....

anyway I was just frustrated last night... I really like these folks.. but amazingly we have Virtually NOTHING in common

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  Most times around here it's the generation gap.

Try explaining this to the same crowd

Psst...

Hey, Thom.... Someone stole your combustion chambers!

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

What are you doing next week, Keith?
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I spent twenty minutes Friday night trying to explain to a guy why his failed radiator cap would allow the car to fill it's puke tank... and he was *TRYING* to understand.

When they fail on the 2 cylinder (Crazy bastards, love you for it), see what they think about DF's one cylinder SBC discussion. Heh.

I bet they could have an engaging discussion on Clay bars and McGuires, yes? To use a phrase from Cool Hand Luke -

"Some men, you just can't reach"
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Kieth you do have something in common, cars. Still, you know we are a minority, most people arent car people, most that want to be car types arent hardcore gearheads. That is a given, right? If they dont get it, then its just not their thing. Some people like the boring 350 crate engine stuffed in anything, 180-330hp is enough for them, and they dont want to set any records. All they want is to look cool, or have the car they could never afford in high school, or relive their youth with a car like the one they had. My father in law is like that, he would love to have a GTO again, but its not a huge priority in his life, whereas if I dont own one then I feel like part of me is missing, and mine has to be powered by a healthy Pontiac engine over 400ci. Dave would be happy with an OHC six or whatever would make the thing go down the road.

Your peers get what you did, and understand what you accomplished. Your peers are on here, and all over the world following your exploits, achievements, and even the failures. You are a hero to more people than you know, and your name is synonymous with speed in the car guy world. One thing I hope I will get the chance to do is make a run down the salt, even if I dont set a record. Getting a record, even if only for a few hours or minutes, at any speed is an accomplishment I can only dream about. Making a V8 run on two cylinders is a challenge in itself. Dont worry about who gets it, you do, we do, and if others dont, well it doesnt matter.

edit: Not many get what or why I do things the way I do either, doesnt bother me because I am having fun.
                        Last edited by Thumpin455; September 4, 2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post
                          Hey Terry thanks for the kudo's.... mostly cause you get it... like Randal.... seriously he never questioned why we wouldn't do that.... I mean a record is a record... maybe not the biggest... but does that mean that every record below 200mph has no value? The fact of the matter is if you want to run an F Blown Fuel Classic Altered you currently have to run 130mph cause someone beat our record... ( actually they simply certified their run after ours... damn fine sportsmanship )....

anyway I was just frustrated last night... I really like these folks.. but amazingly we have Virtually NOTHING in common

I think most got hung up on horsepower and speed.

Hey.......the 4 banger wagon to me is cool......doesn't have to go fast.

Having the ingenuity to make the 2 cylinder go for a record (as opposed to being a
                          spectator) was pretty damn cool.
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I found the net does get some interesting conversations going a bit more in depth.
                            thinking of it written before hand allows for a pause to get real info.

I hardly talk at all about my projects in daily life.

funny to mention engine fail and continuing oddly.

My daily driver is thudding a main and scraping oxides.. and that is to go back to normal, not towards fail.
                            sounds a like disaster and smoking. Being inspection month, (as per me and my japanese omen) it is particularly nasty. Can't speak this to the working inspectors...
                            or all body channels removed and made manlier...
                            the net is good for this odd stuff.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think it depends on the crowd and event. Generally, I don't do well with the "Lawn Chair Nationals" crowd either. But this spring I rode with Gary Hart in his turbo-EFI-jimmysix pickup to the big car show on the Springfield, MO fairgrounds, and as soon as he opened the hood it seemed like every single person who DID get it, was flocking to the truck to try and figure out what the hell was going on under the hood.

The most received compliment was "You sure don't see anything else like that running around here"

Sometimes the bangshifter can pull other like minded thinkers and gearheads out from the woodwork. Other times, you're simply stuck with the carshow crowd where EVERY car runs 10s on pumpgas :-)
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X