Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discount tire replacement- have you ever tried to replace them because they were old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discount tire replacement- have you ever tried to replace them because they were old?

My Lightning's Goodyears have been great tires, but they are weatherchecked. So much so that I'm ready to replace them. I don't like putting them under a load when they get old like that. I think they are seven, maybe eight years old.

I'm thinking about asking Discount for a discount ... I bought the "certificates" that guarantee just about everything. I like to do that because then I usually have less problems with the tires when I do. Karma thing I guess.

Anyway, has anyone here ever tried to use old age as a replacement reason?
    Last edited by Beagle; September 5, 2011, 05:09 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Anyway, has anyone here ever tried to use old age as a replacement reason?
    Don't tell Mrs. Monk about that.......she'll be canning my ass
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

LOL!

I have a couple times, and a couple times I've ignored the fact.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

My son is a Discount store manager. Do you want me to ask him or do you want the element of surprise on your side?

Dan

Comment

I did hear of that happening recently. On TeamChevelle, I think.

In his case, the rubber on the inner sidewall had a split that looked bad. I don't know if the guy at the tire store didn't check the date code on the tire - He wanted to give good customer service, so he used his depth guage and pro rated the tires according to treadwear.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
            I did hear of that happening recently. On TeamChevelle, I think.

In his case, the rubber on the inner sidewall had a split that looked bad. I don't know if the guy at the tire store didn't check the date code on the tire - He wanted to give good customer service, so he used his depth guage and pro rated the tires according to treadwear.
            I agree they will probably pro-rate them......but usually even if you didn't buy the tire from them, if it still has tread they will usually give you a few buck for it, or at least that's what they do at the one I go to. I've never tried to get them on age, but if there is any cracking on the sidewalls they will usually replace them........Or better yet pound a nail into the corner of the tread where it'll be to close to the sidewall and they will replace it because it can't be fixed, do each tire over the coarse of a month or two.....I mean you paid for the road hazard you might as well get your money out of it.....

Comment

I'll give it a shot - not the nail thing though, Karma is a bitch kitty. I know where that ends up. Bad things happen... I've had enough bad things happen, but I think I may be close to caught up.

They have tons of tread on them, new tire compounds are awesome. Unless they are 300.00 apiece F1 goodyears on my 2k Lightning, which fail to make it much over 15,000.

Anyway, thanks guys, I figured it would be worth a try. They've built at least one new store off of my purchase over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                .....I mean you paid for the road hazard you might as well get your money out of it.....
                I'm gonna go with Beagle's karma thing on this one. Ten bucks worth of insurance on a tire does not make it "okay" to intentionally sabotage your tire so you can get a new one.

It might even be insurance fraud when you get down to it.

Comment

contract law requires the terms of the contract to be stated - thus, if there is a specific exclusion for age, then you're SOL; OTH, if it's an unlimited warranty than you probably have a leg to stand on.... if you want a court reference, check out the Firestone recalls... most of those tires were well out of warranty - but as they failed in purpose (legal term of art), they were stuck replacing them.

now, the counter - they can claim the tire is outside of its expected life and deny replacement (even if it's a road hazard issue).

And no, do not ever create a road hazard, legally, ethically, morally, and even Darwin all agree that's a bad idea.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 5, 2011, 01:23 PM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'll get back to y'all on this one and let you know. I know they're old but I think this is an fairly unlimited warranty based on tread depth. Nobody expects you to keep a car 7 years after it's first set of tires is needed, laws of average... Hell, these new tires outlast the car! By the time you have 3 sets on it, it's worn smooth out. They make out like bandits on this stuff. The crappy Conti's they put on my Escape made it 55k and that's with horrible treatment.

Remember the 90 year old lady that JC Penney buys a battery for every few years who bought the "Lifetime warranty" back in the 60's? When was the last time you remember buying a JC Penney battery, or for that matter, getting tools from JC Penney (I think I still have some). I'd think it would be a great opportunity for them to "Earn my business." At the least, it would be great PR for them.
                    Last edited by Beagle; September 5, 2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Ok you might not want to prop nail against you tire as you back out, seems the Karma thing is something I wasn't thinking about......

But being the tires they are and having a good amount of tread on them, they will probably give you a good trade on them.

And here's the shitter...

If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or an unrepairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire/America's Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.
                      Last edited by TC; September 5, 2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

dtd

don't have a store by me but 6 yrs ago i bought from there online store discount tire direct and was happy at the time. just recently after the pt we went on another road trip from fla to tn and ga . on the way home i noticed a slight tread seperation so when i got home i contacted dtd ,spoke to a guy named perry and he was a stand up guy. they replaced my 4 6 yr old falkens for 4 brand new nitto 450's with warranty delivered to my door for $201

Comment

Final score - Discount, 800.00, Beagle -800.00

Goodyear doesn't put mileage warranties on their tires. If they did, Discount would have given me a pro rata on the tires. Damn tires have gone up! Turns out I put these Goodyears on in 2005, for 501.00 ... now I have 4 new Korean tires, cheapest ones I could find, at 796.00 !!!!!!

The Kuhmos have a mileage warranty... and folks wonder why US companies are sucking it. I don't like Coopers or Generals and Goodyear doesn't make a GT in this size any more. I was kinda surprised by that, I figured a 275 60 17 would be a common size. Oh well.

I like the tread pattern... we'll find out how they do on the road sometime this weekend. The tread weather checking below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	857565
                          Last edited by Beagle; September 10, 2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X