Getting Ansy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Ansy

Three days till we leave for Kansas for Drag Week. I've been working on my 55 for a few weeks now, mostly because I broke the engine the last time I went to the dragstrip. I think it's all better now....but you never know....

My friend Dan is going with me, we were talking about whether or not to bring the spare tire, and the subject of Scott Sullivan's Cheez Whiz 55 came up. It was back in 1988 that him and Jeff Smith drove that thing across the country from Ohio to LA. In case you don't remember back that far (my oldest son was just a few months old!) they had a few problems, including a cracked wheel and ruined tire in the middle of Nowhere, Utah, as well as a broken rocker arm stud and a perpetually dirty carb. When they got to LA, they did some mods to the car to make it ready to run at the drag strip, and ran a corrected high ten (on nitrous).

I'm thinking that a few of you will get my program....
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Aye! I'm captain overkill, I'll have TWO spares! Well they're drag radials, but they count =P New windshield tomorrow, a little sanding on the new uber thin primer coat to even out the spraying stripes (maybe), change the oil and hit the road.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Three days till we leave for Kansas for Drag Week. I've been working on my 55 for a few weeks now, mostly because I broke the engine the last time I went to the dragstrip. I think it's all better now....but you never know....

My friend Dan is going with me, we were talking about whether or not to bring the spare tire, and the subject of Scott Sullivan's Cheez Whiz 55 came up. It was back in 1988 that him and Jeff Smith drove that thing across the country from Ohio to LA. In case you don't remember back that far (my oldest son was just a few months old!) they had a few problems, including a cracked wheel and ruined tire in the middle of Nowhere, Utah, as well as a broken rocker arm stud and a perpetually dirty carb. When they got to LA, they did some mods to the car to make it ready to run at the drag strip, and ran a corrected high ten (on nitrous).

I'm thinking that a few of you will get my program....
      I'm sure the veterans here at Bang Shift know all the good stuff on your '55, but me being the new kid needs to ask, "What do you expect it to do in the 1/4?'
      sigpic
      Bob
      516 lb/ft @ 2800
      Short shift, its fun

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

Comment

Last time I ran it under sort of similar circumstances it went 11.25. That was at Speedworld north of Phoenix, I think the elevation is around 1000 ft.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I remember that article on Cheez Whiz. Forgot that Smith was the copilot.

I'm always on edge when I drive my car a long distance and then race it. So far, it's hasn't let me down with the exception of the slow ass times. I feel if I get cocky, ole Mr Murphy will teach me a lesson.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

running milled monocoque race wheels on the street was not a good idea , I guess , looked cool , motor wheel fly

Comment

I'm taking a full set of tires! Mainly because if I have a blowout, I want to replace them in pairs.
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I'm w/BBR ... just want to make it back to Topeka under my own power ... 2 spares for the front and 2 for the rear. I thought I was ready, but all of a sudden there's a list of "honey do's" that need to get done before we depart.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Be sure you have the credit card. There are places on the way with extra tires, batteries, car parts, etc. I travel pretty light. When ME and I took the 'Stang cross country (MI to CO and points north from there) we had ZERO probs so I guess I leave expecting that. Pollyanna?

Dan

Comment

Advantage Buick. All six tires are the same size (4 on the car plus 2 drag radials in trunk).
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I could do that, but I think the chevelle would look a little silly with a set of 28x11.50 Hoosier QT Pros on the front!....

Comment

I just wish I could go. Not even sure what car I would drive, all I know is it would be a Pontiac. Probably just the 4th gen Formula even if it is the slowest car I own. I will go with you guys sometime.

Comment

Come on Todd .... Pack a bag and meet us there!

Comment

Jim have a great time!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                              I'm w/BBR ... just want to make it back to Topeka under my own power ... 2 spares for the front and 2 for the rear. I thought I was ready, but all of a sudden there's a list of "honey do's" that need to get done before we depart.
                              They seem to find those little extra chores when it's time to split on an adventure without them - even though the chores could wait.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X