No announcement yet.

Shouldn't be this hard to sell a 9"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't be this hard to sell a 9"...

Soap box rant time.

I'm either out of touch or something.
    Last fall I listed the Torino 9 inch I had from a '73 Gran Torino Sport that I parted out.
    I had guys calling me on and off for 3-4 months about the axle.
    Stuck it on CL earlier this summer. 1 call.

Is everyone just that damn broke??

I figure with it sitting in a 4 link, complete drum to drum, would be usable for a rod project, something, any sort of project.

I should of just kept on and made a tailgate trailer like I wanted to.
    Am I out of my mind thinking a complete 9" is worth $150?
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

yes , they are that broke
    28 spline ?

Comment

They're probably a little less desireable with all the aftermarket nine inch stuff out there. When I had the salvage yard come get my parts car a few years ago I let the 9 inch under it go too because they wouldn't take it if it didn't roll. I guess I could have at least pulled the diff but I was too lazy.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I guess they are too wide..a mustang 9 inch is easier to sell..i cashed in a 75 Torino rear axle at the local recycler some weeks ago..but i pulled the diff,and sold it for 200 bucks.

Comment

How wide is it? If it will fit under something I have, then I would be more than happy to give you a buck fitty for a complete 9". I have 3 locking diffs for 28 spline rears already, and one 31 spline diff, they arent lockers, just the clutch type diffs. Always looking for housings that will fit under my cars with a minimum of work.

Comment

Yes, it's a 28 spline.
            I got bitched at one time for saying "flange to flange" but the Torino 9", typically it's around I want to say 58 inches?...I don't know 100% off hand. I'd have to measure to confirm.

This is no where near like a full size 70's Ford housing width, I know in the past I've measured LTD 9" axles of the 1976-1978 variety and they are a tick wider that the torino 9".

If you are interested, let me know.
            I'd love to get the thing out from uder my deck to a good home that could use it, to a fellow BS'er and get the BANGSHIFT deal of the day and flip me $100 for it.
            Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

73 9" 59"to 61"

and its 5x5 bolt patern and along with the 28'' spline axles they cant be shortened and resplined due to them being tapered

ive been reading up on rear ends for my 56 F100 project - its the same width as the Dana 44 in it, just not too wild bout running those axles even thou I know I can get a rear end out of a 73 ranchero for CHEAP
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

No, 5x5 was police package or full size.
                Torino, Ranchero, Montego, Elite + Cougar 74-76, LTD2 77-78 Cougar 77-78 Tbird 77-78 used the 5x4.5 bolt pattern.
                Axles, unless you are running 600+HP and straight slicks, 28 splines will take abuse for a while running drag radials...

{while I am thinking about it - I've got a complete setup for 5x5 drums off an LTD, along with a set of nascar Aero 15x9.5 wheels in the 5x5 bolt pattern as well...was going to set up a Gran Torino into a nascar type clone}
                Andrew

Comment

That's true about 28 splines. When I had my diff modified from a 3:00 to 1 open to a 3:25 trac-lok at Currie Enterprises the guy there said they're good for at least 500 horse especially in a street car. Plus I didn't want to have to buy new axles.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

There are guys, running 28 splined stuff, drag radials in Gran Torinos in drag racing...and they beat the hell out of the stuff wild heavy 72-76 chassis cars in the stock type classes. We have a couple drag racers on a few forums which I'm surprised when I hear of 460-based cars with 600+foot pounds of torque on drag radials running 28 spline axles...for many seasons.
                    I know I've beat the piss out of my 9" in the '72, but I don't run slicks and have an open carrier.
                    Andrew

Comment

Working...
                    X