Arc welding rods... rod heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arc welding rods... rod heater?

For those of us dumb enough to use stone-age technology...

Arc-welding rods can absorb moisture, wreakin' havoc with your ability to run a decent weld bead...

Rod heaters keep them warm & dry...

Since I don't own a rod heater... is the toaster too hot?

How bout the kitchen oven?
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

oven will work just fine,before I went for my structural steel certification I cooked the rod in the oven.You can also make a real simple rod holder out of pvc pipe with a screw on lid or a cap that will keep the rod from soaking up the moisture from the air.Low hydrogen rod will suck up much more moisture than old standard 6011 rod..If you have a dc welder you wont get a much better looking bead than with some 7018. Good luck.
    Last edited by CaminoKid; September 8, 2011, 09:11 PM.
    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

ahhh... i have never used a rod heater in the field, and my welds are regularly ut inspected. ive used rods that the open can fell out of the back of the truck into a puddle of mud, rods that sat in the back of the truck in an open can until all used up. i worked for one guy that used to buy rods at a clearance price i ndamadged cans any time they were available. some jobs do require your rods to be in an oven, and you are only allowed a set amount out of the oven at a time. its not often though. ive seen guys make there own ovens in the home shop with a simple light bulb inside to do the job, an option of you really want an oven.

Comment

What about a cheap ,but big toaster oven.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I remembered that in a welding class I took a long time ago, the rods we kept in the heater just seemed to be easier to use.

It's been humid, hot, rainy, hurricaney, etc... and with all the temp & baro pressure changes, I'm certain the rods laying around in the barn are iffy... I've seen the coating crumble off them because of heat/humidity/age unknown....

How hot is too hot if I throw 'em in the toaster?
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

four fifty or five hundred is fine.the flux is crumbling due to the moisture.throw them away if they are to bad.Unless you are a skilled welder they will be quite irritating to use.
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

old refrigarater 100w bulb works good

Comment

Any welders looking for work? The gas pipe line welders by me are making $100K a year in PA I hear. Sorry for the high jack.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

You can make more than that working for the oil companies.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

you really dont need a lot of heat. huskinhano, where is "by me". im always looking for options.

Comment

theres just certain rods you want to keep moisture free (any cellulose based flux rods the 5P's and 5P+++++ especially) and your expensive specialtay rods like the $30/lb. nickel rods and some of the 316 stainless. your common rods like the low/hy's (7018's) are pretty weather proof.
                      i snagged a really junked chest freezer and have a 60w droplight hangin in it . plus its a MUST to store ALL your mig wire in a heated/dry environment . i took a bunch of certs test when i was with the boilermakers and the rods were so hot i was burning my hand THROUGH MY GLOVE!! was a little over the top on the temp but it was in the WPS to have the rods stored at that setting.

Comment

Working...
                      X