No announcement yet.

Anyone still use CB radios anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When traveling in a big group of cars the work great. you need to make sure the first and last cars have one, and the more the better. you just have to say what you doing once, Like next exit for fuel. then you dont need to call everybody.
    Plus it helps avoid " the Man" !

Cant you use your bluetooth to hook up with the lot lizards?
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
      When traveling in a big group of cars the work great. you need to make sure the first and last cars have one, and the more the better. you just have to say what you doing once, Like next exit for fuel. then you dont need to call everybody.
      Plus it helps avoid " the Man" !

Cant you use your bluetooth to hook up with the lot lizards?
      Truckers first rule concerning lot lizards

tarp your load
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Thom, what is the second ? I know it would have to do something with " Load Jacks ! "
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
          Thom, what is the second ? I know it would have to do something with " Load Jacks ! "
          or

don't let your meat loaf

Load Jacks.........think it's more slang about Lot Lizards
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I found two in my shop while organizing - both too new probably for brutus - but I think they both work. We used them a lot on test trips for work - they really are the best way to communicate on the road - and some of the stuff you hear is truly hillarious. I used one a lot driving back and forth in college - great way to find out where the cops are, and how to get around an accident --- even the GPS doesn't always lead you the BEST way around an accident - especially if you have a trailer.

I will surely bring one on drag week
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

ive been wanting one. i wasnt sure if anyone used them on the pt but i thought it would have been good for my trip from nj to fl. id want one i could easily put in different cars. i did see one that is all built into the mic, im not sure if its crap but it looked interesting.
              i remember my friends mom had one of those big ass late 70s thunderbirds, we used to take it and beat the crap out of it and have a lot of fun with it. it had some kind of factory cb? that you just plugged into the radio and it used the radio antenna. we used to have a lot of stupid fun with that with the truckers, with no cb antenna showing.

Comment

used to help on the 100mph trips down i95 to florida

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                  Ya can't find a lot lizzard with a GPS either....one of my hobbies.....
                  I'm just joking
                  never thought of it that way - but the way I use GPS would keep me from running afoul of those.... none of them would be an hour away from their crack supply, thus where I'm at they'd never be
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Moms 80 Eldo had an AM/FM/8 track/CB factory radio. It was so bitchin and you set it so the CB would cut into the radio when it picked up a broadcast.

Dad used to have a pair of Cobras that plugged into the lighter with magnetic antennas. The last time they got used is when I moved to LA. Mom got rid of them after Dad died. Bad Mom!
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have an ancient GE 40 channel I got for high school graduation that I considered putting in the Crown Vic, but decided against it for fear of being branded a "whacker". I had a nice Cobra that I sold to a co-worker when I gave up truck driving. They are pretty usefull, unfortunately mostly what you hear nowdays is some long winded jerk going on for hours about how he found God.
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

at 4 watts, they're not really long distance... and if you put a linear amp on it, they're illegal. Uncle Charlie (fcc) used to run around here quite a bit, but I think a clean amp doesn't really bother them that much any more. I'd heard that they changed the rules to allow big amplifiers, but I never could find it. I had a buddy in junior high that used to like to mod them - he had one that that he was trying to get more power out of using sidebands 12 watt legal maximum, and got close. Unfortunately, it was broadcasting both side bands of a channel at the same time and earned a visit from the white van who offered (suggested? Demanded...) to keep his radio for him. Whoooops. They were nice enough I guess, they didn't fine a 13 year old kid. Some of my sister's running buddies weren't quite that lucky.

It's been years since I had any interest, but it's funny (ironic?) you bring this up cuz I was teasing somebody the other day "break one nine break one nine how bout it Flower, you got your ears on?"

I would bet you can still go into a truck stop cb shop and buy a 100 watt amp for "export" use, but since I don't know how to tell if it's "clean" or not, I'm not sure I'd do it. That'd be enough power to broadcast quite a ways. The 102" whip is kind of a giveaway though. lol. Gawd. Now it's dredging up all sort of memories. Firesticks! I bet there is still one in my dad's garage.

/edit - love the internet. Just order your amp from overseas. Good grief, it just takes all the fun out of being illegal.
                        Moonraker was established in 1978. Since then we have become the largest manufacturer of Amateur, CB, and Scanner antennas and accessories in the UK We are also the largest local authorised dealer for Alinco, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu and Wouxun

about a buck a watt. I wanted to set up a deal like this between my house and dad's house (about 30 miles) but I think 2 meter may be easier and definitely more legal.
                        Last edited by Beagle; September 10, 2011, 04:05 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I got a "turned up " side band out in the garage. an old k40 and some other antenna. My buddy bought it for me at a truck stop, says there are good deals when drivers need cash . He bought mine , a mini fridge , ipod and a microwave all for 70.00 . Guy was selling everything trying to come up with air fair. Was quitting and leaving the truck where it sat .
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

With simple mods a radio can put out anywhere between 20 and 40 watts, good coax and antennas help but most power or modulation comes from the radio.

Running a linear requires the radio to turned down to 1 watt, the linear does all the work.

Just bought a Cobra 25 which is great for mods at a yard sale today from a Trooper, along with a external speaker , a Cobra 18 all for 10 bucks, the 25 alone could get sold on Craigslist for 40.

Comment

Best thing about CB's is they're truly independent communication. As long as there are two radios in reach it works, doesn't matter what else is going on, IE storm, blackout, etc. Cell phone towers get very overloaded in no time. My brother actually has a Cobra mounted on a slide like this, not sure if you can still get them. He invested in a good radio, one male side, 4 female sides, 4 antenna mounts, 1 72" antenna, and a 48" antenna, and swapped it around to whatever he was driving and where it was going. His '84 Rabbit with the 72" looked like an RC car

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X