Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAARRGGGHHHHH!!!!! Why is it so damn hard to find a good machinist? Yep, another rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAARRGGGHHHHH!!!!! Why is it so damn hard to find a good machinist? Yep, another rant

Ive had two local guys that havent screwed anything up, or charged me two arms, my first born, and a testicle for a valve job. I didnt want to send the head on the new 455 to Tennessee for a simple valve job, but apparently I should have and paid the $200 shipping.

So I get the engine running but I have to finish the headers and put gaskets in them. So I lift the passenger side front so I can get under and put a bolt in that can only go in from the bottom. As I get down to crawl under there I notice water dripping from near the steering column. I look around and the soft plug at the back of the head has water just running out of it. Wonderful. Now I am pulling the head to replace the plug and check to see if he gouged the head or something to make it leak like that. Just think if I had gotten it up to temp or had been driving when the plug said screw it and dumped the coolant on the rear tire.

So its costing me gaskets, time, and more frustration because I decided to trust the kid at CarQuest here in town. Apparently he rushed the job a bit, even though he had the heads for six months. Not only that soft plug though, there is more. There is something else.. I turned the engine over to adjust the lash I heard a distinct clicking noise, it sounded like something snapped into place, but it wasnt the pushrods clicking into the rocker arms. It was the valves sticking in the guides. I could feel it in the rocker arms as it did it. So now I wonder if the guides are so tight that it will tear something up. The valves are stainless so not much worry about them. Maybe it will be ok, maybe not. It hasnt done it since I started it, so who knows.

The other thing that is more of an annoyance but is costing me $63 and a week of waiting for it to get here, is the heater core nipple that plugs into the head behind the intake. He put a soft plug in there and blocked it off. Even in summer we need heaters up here, and this is going in my GTO which I had hoped to drive until it got really cold and threatened snow. Now it looks like I will have to just cover things up and wait till spring to drive it and find out how it does on E85. I dont know if all the parts will arrive in time for me to get it running this week like I had planned, because the truck and firewood are going to take up the rest of my time after this.

Sure people can make mistakes, they can screw up and miss things. I do it all the time. It took this kid months to cook an intake for me, the sbc intake he never did, and these heads took almost a year to get done. I like the guy, but holy smokes if its someone who is in the store all the damn time getting parts, maybe you should do a good job of it.

At least I am damn good at pulling the heads and putting them back on in the car. There is no way I am pulling the engine again, its just too much hassle getting the adapter plate in there and everything set up. At least I heard the damn thing run.

buy a reamer for the valve guides, do it yourself? About 45.00 and self centering. Sounds like he didn't finish the job if he did guides. If they stick any at all cold, you know what is gonna happen when they get warm and cool down again. Did he do a bronze insert or something?
    Last edited by Beagle; September 20, 2011, 02:39 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

probably did inserts if they're tight. I guess a lot of shops don't have a dial bore gage that size, so they do them by feel, and leave them tight in the middle some times. Gotta be able to measure stuff to get it right.

I lucked out on my last machine shop go-round, got my stuff back in 4 days and it appears to be done all right, since I've put 5000+ miles on it since then.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Found the problem as soon as I got the head off. He never bothered to pull the plugs, so now I am thinking I should yank the other head and do all of them. It had a hole in it, and I know they dont have holes when they are new, so I drilled a hole in the middle and yanked it. Sure enough, its pitted all around the plug. I know I paid for new plugs when they did them, so I think they owe me a set of gaskets.

Comment

the price you pay to live in the middle of know wheres ville..
          if it was 200.00 to ship the heads, I would've gone looking for a valve seat, valve stone kit used..
          and do the valve job yourself..
          I used to have a snap on valve job tool set, stones,cutters the works, that reminds me,guess i'll have to drive over and get it , as it hasn't come back yet (12 months)

Comment

Its $90 to send them there, and probably the same to get them back. The thing is I know they would be perfect, and they wouldnt lose the guide plates, rocker studs and not screw up the plugs. The 13:1 heads will be done in two weeks, but I have to wait until November/December to get them, since the funds have to go to heating first. It doesnt matter really, I just wanted to drive the GTO a bit this year with this engine, work out some bugs. I still might get to. Anyway, next summer it will be drivable, and I will be able to quantify the mileage difference between 11:1 and 13:1. I plan to put lots of miles on it.

Just annoyed that the guy screwed it up. The NAPA machine shop had decent guys working there, even if NAPA gives me crap parts a bit too often, they did the block but closed three years ago.

Comment

That's because working with your hands was and is discouraged in our schools. They don't understand you really have to know something to be a machinist, plumber or what ever.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I'm very lucky to find a great machinist nearby. And, he's very fair in his pricing.

When I worked at the speedshop in Sacramento we kept trying to find someone to do head work. We give a guy a couple sets, he'd do a great job; so we started heaping on the work to him. They all were making great money, then all the work turny.ed to shit. Every time. We figured out these guys were getting the big cash and then snorting meth in order to get the work done all in one night. We never pushed these guys to get the work done next day. You can imagine the horror stories from a dude zooted up on crank trying to port heads. Some of the customer's own heads got destroyed.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I use Texas Joe.........

Comment

This is one of those "you get what you pay for" examples.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

At least you're not working on an aircooled VW motor. It took me months of aggravation & many $$$'s to get the parts machined for the buggy motor.

Comment

Todd, I know this is a bit of a drive but maybe worth it. I have a friend named Norm Brandes in Silver Lake, WI - near Kenosha. He runs a company called Westech Automotive (not the CA Westech) and does GREAT machine work. I'm guessing a day each way for you, but it'll be right. Not sure how his prices stack up but he has the BEST of equipment and knows how to use it. He's a great guy, but REALLY LOUD!!!! I can't imagine Norm at a funeral. No clue if shipping would be less.

Norm is consulted/quoted in HRM from time to time and built the original engine for the Crusher Camaro - the low-emissions small block.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; September 21, 2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

go to livernois

Comment

Have you checked for good Machine Shops in Green Bay, or Appleton?
                            Lot's of Cars in that area, there are a few good Machine shops, I can get some details for you if you would like. It's only a couple hour drive for you.
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; September 22, 2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Todd - you have every other tool on the planet - maybe the valve grinding tools are a good thing to add to your collection - or chaulk up the pleasure of living in the UP and saving money on fuel and heat - and put some of that toward shipping.

nothing aggravates me more than poor machine work.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X