A Kid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Kid Question

Yesterday it rained here 3+ inches, a torrential downpour that didn't stop for hours.

It didn't rain that much 20 miles away, we just got it right here.

Let me set this story up. We live on a downhill street, and when it rains hard, our street looks like a spillway at a hydro dam, the water going by. There it all goes down the hill to Mouse Creek. It's a pretty steep hill.

There's a narow section of ground between the sidewalk and the street. Do what you want with it. Some folks have flowers, we chose river rocks a few months ago, in lieu of weeds and flowers. We left a small patch of weeds and flowers around the mailbox, and Sue Unit got tired of seeing that, so last weekend or so I dug out the weeds and flowers and replaced it with more rocks.

Little did either of us know, that small clump of weeds and flowers were erosion control. With this week's storms, it washed a LOT of our carefully placed river rock down the road and into the street and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the street.

So there I am this afternoon shoveling up our river rocks from the neighbors' driveway.

I was out there next door shoveling the gravels up and their 10-year-old kid comes out and asks...."Are you picking up all of those rocks?"

I said, "Yes I am."

Kid says, "Where did all of those rocks come from?" I said, "Right there," pointing to our house next door.

Like, maybe an alien spacecraft dropped them and all of a sudden there's a whole bunch of rocks in this kid's driveway and he had no idea or clue where they came from, other than heaven.

I wonder about today's kids, and this kid's dad calls him Shithead. In front of him, he calls him that. I just wonder.
    Last edited by pdub; September 23, 2011, 06:54 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

The kid is 10 and you are breaking his balls for not doing an analysis of the situation before asking an adult what happened?

I think it is crappy his dad calls him that. I refer to my guys as dweebs fairly often but I can't ever see myself calling them something along those lines.

I don't know why but the "today's kids are idiots" thing instantly pisses me off. Obviously due to the current state of affairs in this country you guys that grew up decades ago are way smarter than any kid could possibly be these days, right?
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; September 23, 2011, 07:01 PM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Yeah, I'm wrong for breaking the kid's balls. The kids around us (and we are not kids people).....I just think and am pretty sure that kids, every time, are a reflection of how they're brought up.

At least that's how it should be. But it doesn't always come out the same. I was raised by Ward and June Cleaver. I was. It was ridiculous, so I broke loose and raised hell as soon as I could and I'm lucky to have survived.

But back to the kid who couldn't understand where the rocks came from...I'm wrong for busting his chops here, but he really didn't understand where they came from. He didn't. I would have thought that even a 6 year old could reason at least that well. That's just beyond me.

Comment

Five buck says the 10 year old would smoke your ass learning how to use an iPhone.

Comment

I don't think kids are idiots. Ignorant, maybe, but not idiots.

I am a firm believer that the current generation of kids just doesn't have access to the things in life that help to form common sense and experience. They are coddled, nurtured, kept away from all that is bad and basically end up living like mushrooms.

I got spanked and yes, I deserved it

I stayed out until waaaaay past dark with the neighbor kids, but all the neighbor parents knew where they were and who they were playing with.

While playing, these kids all learned face-to-face social skills with the neighbor kids and parents. Respect and courtesy were the rule.

I never wore a helmet while riding my bike. I learned to ride without crashing. I wish kids today would learn to drive without airbags. Same deal.

There is a lot wrong with today's society that stems from the fact that we don't let kids be kids. When they are kids, they learn, they grow and they understand how to live within their environment.

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Ron, I don't know if any of that has to do with my pseudo rant, but you are so right. And I don't think any of that will ever be back again. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Five buck says the 10 year old would smoke your ass learning how to use an iPhone.
              Brian, you are so right with that one. Perfect. Yes, that's true. Just today, at a meeting a guy accused me of being a techno whiz, and so he asked me a question about a problem he was having with a smart phone. He simply had the wrong idea about me.

I guess I LOOK wired in. No, I'm sure not. I have no clue. My phone won't even take a photo. I barely even talk on it, and that's all it will do.

Comment

Preach it, brother Ron!
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Yeah, you're so not kidding

Comment

You know, speaking from the lovely experience of being a single father to a 10 year old daughter, the world as it is today frankly scares the shit out of me. There are constant news reports about 8 year old kids being taken an found in a dumpster two days later.I wouldn't dare let my daughter out of my sight unsupervised ,not for fear of what she may do, but because of these pervert scumbags. Check this out, chances are you will be amazed- http://www.familywatchdog.us/ .
                    It sucks because when I was a kid, like you guys, I would be out all day with no fear of these idiots or anything else. Nowadays kids are plugged in to mass media in the safety zone of our homes watching retarded things on tv and the web. So not only do you have to watch the world outside, but you have to make sure your kid doesn't become an eggplant from the things that are "safe". Walt Disney is the devil...

Comment

My comments:

The world is no less safe now than in the past. Horrible things happened all through the fifties-sixties-seventies-on, you just didn't hear about them so much. If anything it's better now.

People learn about what they need to, as a survival instinct from generations long ago. Previously the kid down the street didn't need to worry about where rocks came from...and now he's just noticing that something looks out-of-place and is posing questions. Smart kid. Not dumb. Smart. He's learning.

But with a "father" that calls him names like that, I'm not sure what his chances will be in the future. For only one example, dad may have already prejudiced you against the child by publicly calling him "shithead" and planting the idea that the kid wasn't very smart, and you were thus quicker to make your own judgement.

Finally maybe the kid was partly using the rock situation as an excuse to instigate conversation with a neighbor adult to see what kind of guy you are. Like his dad...or not.

Hey PeeWee, when you think about things such as (for example) the media and are not happy about some particular reporter's take on something, realize how many possible interpretations there can be about one simple thing. A few rocks wash down the street, and one guy and the other guy are in completely different worlds about it.
                      Last edited by Loren; September 24, 2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Loren, your words are extremely well taken and eloquent as well. It's given me pause to think...

Well, I don't want to surrender my stance on the media because it's adults doing that. And I guess I shouldn't fault them so much as well. I can only imagine that the news teams would get called to and from the Reno air disaster to ......QUICK! Go cover the opening of a big ice cream factory, or what the hell ever. So they go and make some quick notes and then ... this is the part that gets me...they look so self-assured on camera talking about it, but they don't have a frickin clue what they are really saying.. Every third blue moon, I see through it, but it happens all day every day.

But really with the kid thing Loren, you've really opened my eyes. I don't know how long they'll stay open, but it's been my thing for life to not recognize that kids are not just small adults. They're not, they are developing. They'll get there but they're not there yet.

As we all did. Yeah, that's the smoking hole in my personal profile, kids. I've got no tolerance for them, and I was once one, so there's the smoking hole. And since Sue Unit and I are older than everybody else around us in the neighborhood, kids is all we see. This neighborhood is crawling with kids. It's just too easy to see what's wrong with them. And as you said, it's because we're looking for what's wrong.

Yep, there's the smoking hole. Nobody else's problem but mine. A perception issue.

Comment

The problem is that if you never have any of your own all you see is "what's wrong with them". Once you own one or two, it is all about what's right with them.

Brian
                          Last edited by Brian Lohnes; September 24, 2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

In the long run, I'm really bad that way, and I know it.

The best therapy and treatment would be stimulation. So, everybody here go on vacation at the same time and drop your kids by at Weeville. We can sleep about 30 on the floor mostly and on beds and on couches and at least two on the pool table if they're small enough, and on the screened porch and.......no, I'm just kidding. I don't mean it at all.
                            Last edited by pdub; September 24, 2011, 06:17 PM.

Comment

The problem is that if you never have any of your own all you see is "what's wrong with them". Once you own one or two, it is all about what's right with them.

Brian
                              thats great "Once you own one or two "lol

I do agree it has alot to do with how kids are brought up.I have worked with some now that one realy had no father good guy but not bright he used to tell us how his mom would take him to the bar when he was little so she could drink. He is a good guy just not smart. I had another one I kind of felt bad for. Growing up my father and grandpa were(are) my idles. my gramps grew up on a farm was in ww2 could fix anything (just a guy from that time period) so my dad learned everything he could from him we always had a huge garden,fixed anything broke around the house etc... . Well us guys were all talking at the shop and he tell us he wishes his dad would have showed him how to do things ,that he does not know anything about a garden,how to fix things were he lives etc...

I show my kids how to do things make them think to figure out problems and hope that others do for the sake of this country.Mine are young still and sometimes it is hard but you have to teach them show them etc.. or they will not learn.

Oh and I "own" 3 so god help us .

Comment

Working...
                              X