Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, Dieselgeek, the battle continues to rage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Dieselgeek, the battle continues to rage...

Scott,

About 10 years ago, a mutual aquaintence of ours raced his badass big block Monza in True Street in the PRO/Edelbrock Fastest Street Car Series events. Rules were made to effectively eliminate his car as the powers that be determined his car did not represent the "true street" image they wished to portray because of of it's tube chassis and plexiglas windows.... even though it was commonplace to see the car tooling around Omaha on a weekend afternoon (or late Saturday night, if you know what I mean.)

From that point, PRO, now NMCA, has made additional changes in the rulebook to further restrict the least restricted class in thier rulebook. I like referring to these changes as "The Foldenauer Rules." Recently, NMCA went as far as to prohibit ladder bar style rear suspensions. Thus, two of the baddest True Street cars to ever race an NMCA event (Jeff Knox and Vinny Fiore) were effectively eliminated from competition.

I thought you might get a kick out of some of the discussion that is still raging on the subject and let Jim know that people are still talking about his badass ride, ten years after the fact.

Check it out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	monza-77-blk-JimFoldenauer-315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	877973Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

When someone dominates a field, it becomes discouraging to the other racers and they may drop out of the competition and no longer participate in those events......Thus the racing association loses money........ They change the rules to give others a chance.......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      When someone dominates a field, it becomes discouraging to the other racers and they may drop out of the competition and no longer participate in those events......Thus the racing association loses money........ They change the rules to give others a chance.......
      like drag week, and that nova

Comment

yup, that's why there were 177 cars at drag week this year....huh?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          My sentiments exactly.

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            Ya know, I understand exactly what you said. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Here's the deal: I applaud ANY person who busts their ass to build a car that fits the rules and dominates a class. People like Billy Glidden, John Force and Keith Turk have been winning races, setting records and handing out ass whoopings to anyone who will stand in line. (Well, Keith isn't much of an asswhooper... he's more of an assgrabber ) and they all do it out of the spirit of competition.

I would hate to be the guy who sits down and hammers out the rules to a class. So many variables come into play and racers - more specifically DRAG RACERS - will push the envelope of the rules to develop a combination that works and works well.

In a nutshell, competition drives a better program. Step up or step off.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
              like drag week, and that nova
              I don't think you truly understand that Nova. It is the essence of all that is cool and right in street legal drag racing. It is a real deal street car that gets flogged regularly on the track and buzzed around town to run errands. It is a culmination of 25+ years of tinkering and tweaking to become the baddest street car on the planet. Until Saboury runs his car on drag week, or I see it buzzing down I-35 in heavy traffic, my opinion will not be swayed.

Ron

Comment

Unlimited pretty well says it all, when Larry found he was behind the times he caught up with its latest version.

I do see the issue with rule changes, But when people look for a easy class thats ment as a entry level class and "Buy it" instead of seeking out a Class that would push their skills. I understand it was a Class for Local Cars at a entry level.

The True Street Class should have a very nice long drive before and charge and supply fuel out of the closest gas station with no adjustments at all in the car on the outside or tire changes and dot tires. With a Stock susp N/A and PA and a Outlaw that anything goes in.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                  I don't think you truly understand that Nova. It is the essence of all that is cool and right in street legal drag racing. It is a real deal street car that gets flogged regularly on the track and buzzed around town to run errands. It is a culmination of 25+ years of tinkering and tweaking to become the baddest street car on the planet. Until Saboury runs his car on drag week, or I see it buzzing down I-35 in heavy traffic, my opinion will not be swayed.

Ron
                  saw it in traffic in mohnton , pa
                  who wants to to to kansas , dorothy ? lol

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    not in that class there wasn't

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post

Ron
                      if you call throwing unlimited about of money at something all thats "cool and right" then I guess your right..
                      but like anything, if most of the field knows they are running for 2nd, well..
                      how is that different than people getting bored when force always wins, or johnson, or gordon,earnhardt,glidden,

Comment

That was a good read, Mark shankweiler is a local racer.
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          saw it in traffic in mohnton , pa
                          who wants to to to kansas , dorothy ? lol
                          Ummm.... Larry lives in Oak Grove, MISSOURI. I think it is fitting as the state motto of Missouri is "SHOW ME."

And I agree, if Rod is driving his Vette in traffic, it is a cool thing. I would really like to see those guys square off one day.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                            if you call throwing unlimited about of money at something all thats "cool and right" then I guess your right..
                            but like anything, if most of the field knows they are running for 2nd, well..
                            how is that different than people getting bored when force always wins, or johnson, or gordon,earnhardt,glidden,
                            Yeah but most people aren't like you, all pissing and moaning at every possible thing to come up. Turn off the douchebag switch please.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I think the Sick Second Camaro proved you can simply throw money at it to win. And that's why there are other classes as well. Of course each of those classes have millionaires bankrolling the winning car too :sarcasm:
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X