Do you get discouraged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get discouraged?

Lately I have been noticing things I did that arent quite up to my standards. The body work on the 65 looks like I didnt do anything from certain angles. I have an engine I just built with a scratch in a cylinder, sure it could be from something falling in there, but it could also be from missing a burr on the rings when I gapped them. Sometimes i feel like the things I have been very good at in the past, like engine building, are now something I cant do without screwing it up. And that my skills that are still developing, like body work and paint, are something I will probably never get good at.

Then yesterday I am cleaning the shop, and I notice the yard is full of cars, so I count them. I have 21 vehicles of mine, on the yard. Sure some are getting scrapped, some are for other people, but damn do I really need 20 freaking cars? Do I need the 20 or so that are still at the farm? If my body working skills were up to snuff I could sell some as painted rollers if they didnt have engines when I got them, or finish them and use the money from them to build the cars I want to keep, and maybe put up a building so they arent all outside for years. I have so much to do, and every year I can do less and less due to my physical issues.

I know what the solutions are, Im really not that bad at body work and its a driver not a show car, everyone can miss something in an engine, and I could sell stuff just like it is or simply scrap it. I just wonder if I have lost something over the last few years, attention to detail, physical ability outside my issues, some memory and knowledge, or if I am just too damn busy. Perhaps its not working that makes me try to do so much, since I busted my ass every day for so many years and now with all this time I decide to do too much. Now the boats are coming very soon, like next week and I have the yard full of stuff, and most of it needs fixed.

Maybe its just winter approaching, and wishing I could have driven something old with too much power this year. I know I am too much of a perfectionist when it comes to things, but then I miss something in an simple engine build, or a transmission wont work when I get it done. Luckily, I havent had a transmissions decide not to work no matter what I do with it in some time.

Anyway, here is what is bothering me about the 65 now. I am thinking I need to replace the door and rework the quarter. You can see how the lines are not exactly straight in the reflections, and while yes that car came from nearly nothing that wasnt rusted, it still bothers me. Maybe since the other 65 isnt as bad as this one was, I will be able to get it how I think it should be, and I wont need the parts from 6 other cars to make it live again.

It helps if you can get out and drive it..... but yeah, I sure know what you mean. I've been thinking real seriously lately about selling two or three projects that I just can't seem to get done.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

live with it

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
        live with it
        Nah I am thinking of selling it.

Comment

you could get some money for it

Comment

sure ive been discouraged. i have a pretty good eye for detail and not a lot of stuff turns out exactly the way i want first try, but sometimes i prefer to just live with it and get out and have fun. i dont do the show car thing so its a little easier to justify it, a car thats perfect im not sure i would use as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
              The body work on the 65 looks like I didn't do anything from certain angles.
              No one will notice. Install motor/trans, enjoy.

I get discouraged all the time. It's tough enough keeping my daily drivers & the 2 projects I got going, I don't need/want any more cars. Having a running dune buggy & V8 S-10 will be cool though... Someday

Comment

thought you were giving the car away , but I may have lost a detail or two

Comment

I think you feel overwhelmed and discouraged as the same thing. More than twenty projects staring at you can do that. I feel overwhelmed with three. Sometimes with two. Much of that feel comes from a lack of decent income.

I also think you might feel rushed to get things done during the short time the weather permits in your area. I was working on a 66 Mustang the owner claims he spent $10k in body/paint, and it looks far worse than yours. The tops of the quarters have all kinds of issues and the body line on both sides look like they done with a belt sander.

You often speak of your limited time due to health issues that you can physically work before pain gets in the way. Add to that more than 40 total cars in your collection that need help. No one could blame you for feeling discouraged. In the end, I think you know you should thin the herd to a managable number. Less than 10? Six maybe? I also feel that working on the cars is a bit of a therapy for you mentally. I totally understand that. I am the same. It allows me to focus and clear the head. Recently, I needed that a lot of distration as something happened on the job that made going to work very difficult.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I totally get this, for ten years I've had a plan of what I wanted to do to the tan Montego. I wanted it to be one of those magazine quality cars that I've drooled over since I was 14. I've recently realized that aint gonna happen unless I win the lottery. I've decided to get it running, fix the little crap that needs fixing, put a decent paint job on it and drive it. The blue Montego is really just a parts car that runs, the body is tweaked and full of bondo and rust. I'll simply pull the usefull parts off it and maybe keep it as long as it's still drivable but eventually sell it. I don't think your car looks bad at all. I bet once you get it put back together it's going to look great. It may not be perfect, but what in life is.
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I have finally norrowed my project cars down to a couple of cutlasses, and just keep the other stuff running.
                      Buying a house changed things alot for me, it made me have to spend less and avf more. I get to work on other
                      peoples cars and should get to drive a race car next year so i
                      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                        thought you were giving the car away , but I may have lost a detail or two
                        Not selling this 65, since its for the father in law, but seriously considering selling some other stuff.

Part of it is something I go through every year. September 1 to November 1 is spent getting firewood, and getting ready for winter. Once the white blanket of isolaton shows up, then things slow down considerably. Everything has to be done before the snow gets here, and the yard has to be ready to plow the stuff off it. It puts lots of pressure on me, and this year has been full of pressure already because I knew the 65 would take up most of the year.

Doing all of it myself can be a pain. The few friends I have up here are busy trying to make a living, and when they come out they want help with their projects. One comes out to lend me a hand sometimes, but he has four jobs so its rare we get to do much. An apprentice would be nice, but the only kid who lived close enough and wanted to do something moved to Indiana. He was just getting to the point where he was useful and I didnt have to show him how to do everything. It would be nice to have a pack of gearheads like I had in Charleston, we would all get together and work on anyones ride that needed it. It kinda spoiled me. That is why I am up already at 0800, its going to be a long day today.

Comment

You should be proud of yourself for saving that car and having the ability to do so in such a bad situation. It really was amazing to see
                          and I could not believe it was possible. We all get that way .You feel like you spend so much time on some thing and it gets a little F'd up and thats it. Sleep on it you will feel better tomorrow and FYI I really like that color on your goat.

Comment

-Rant hijack-

I just spent a while typing out a reply, and hit the freaking big red "+Reply to Thread " button instead of the "Post Quick Reply" button... because it's there, all big and red... so everything I just typed is gone. POOF! ... and that's like the third or fourth time it's happened!

BRIAN, IS THERE ANY WAY TO NOT HAVE TWO FREAKING BUTTONS FOR REPLYING TO A THREAD??????? Grrrrr!!!

Comment

I do that all the damn time, write out an eloquent reply, or a pithy comment and then hit the wont button.

To top it off, Netflix is down. I hope its back up when I come back in to relax a bit.
                              Last edited by Thumpin455; September 25, 2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X